iOS/Android Port - Possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Klaud, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Klaud

Klaud The King of Potatoes

I've just reactivated my account after being away for a while, and my first thought is that PoxNora would play really well on modern tablets.

Not only would this be an awesome and accessible way to play Pox, it would really rejuvenate the community and bring in a ton of new players if done well.

I think it's really worth looking into if it's feasible, as there's plenty of the target PoxNora demographic just waiting to be tapped into in the tablet/mobile market.

Also a shout out to the current devs, thanks for having kept the game alive as long as you have, it's always a pleasure to have the urge to play PoxNora and see it's still standing strong after all these years. :)

2. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

Pox was originally written on Java to run on mobile phones way back when smartphones didn't exist.

The irony is that now that smartphones do exist, pox don't run on them.

3. Klaud

Klaud The King of Potatoes

Yeah I had a feeling that PoxNora was still using a Java foundation, I read somewhere that Java isn't functional with most current mobile platforms a while back. A pity :/

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It would require pretty much an entire rewrite from the ground up. 10 years worth of work would take a loooong time. On top of that the code is all proprietary and the coders now are different than the coders that worked on it back then (Though Gedden is sneaking around somewhere working on secret projects) so working through some of the old code is difficult (Translation: We cant understand why this works but it does so dont touch it or bad things might happen)

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

What I would like to see is a separate tablet game that "Starts over" with just the first few expansions. Almost like a simplified version of this game. Each mobile expansion could work its way through the pre-existing expansions and if your mobile account is linked to your main game account the packs you buy on the tablet version could unlock things like rune skins on the main game (To draw people to the main game). Because there are already 25 expansions worth of art and resources the mobile game could release content much faster than otherwise.

6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Pox 2.0

Pedeguerra likes this.
  7. ButterFaceGirl

If you have a game there is no point not to release everything.

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It would be a "different" game. You cant just copy paste over to new code. It would merely be using the art assets from this game. Thing is if they wanted to translate all 2000 something runes you start to run into that same new user unfriendlyness and learning curve. It would simply be a shiny more noob friendly version to attract people.

Bondman007 likes this.
  9. ButterFaceGirl

The dev microteam can barely keep pox afloat they have no hope to make a new game on a new platform

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Kinda curious that Gedden/Moles have been awol no?

11. ButterFaceGirl

nod really