[IS Champion Concept] - Guardian Knight

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Markoth, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Guardian Knight

Flavor Text: The guardian knights of Ironfist are a unique force of elite troops that raise their mounts from cubs. Once paired the two eat, sleep and fight together until they become inseparable.
    [​IMG]
    Art by Greg Staples for MtG card Sigiled Paladin

Race: Barbarian, Beast
    Class: Paladin, Knight
    Size: Large

Stats:

Cost: 86
    HP: 52
    DEF: 3
    SPD: 6
    RNG: 1
    DAM: 13

Abilities
    Attack: Physical
    Pounce 3
    Sonic Roar

Upgrade Tree A

Detection 1 (-4 Nora)
    Detection 2 (-2 Nora)
    Detection 3 (Default)

Upgrade Tree B
    Aggressive (Default)
    Clamp (+1 Nora)
    Opportunistic Assault (+4 Nora)

What role is this Rune intend to fill?
    Similar to my Sentinel of Al'mara concept, I am trying to design a viable Detection option for the Paladin theme. Unlike the Sentinel though the Guardian Knight is an aggressive front line fighter meant to get in an enemies face.
    Why isn't this Rune's role being fulfilled by similar Runes?
    Other than Rend 2 none of the abilities on this champion are currently available to the Paladin theme.
    How is this Rune different from what is already in Pox Nora?
    See above.
    How is this Rune competitive and why would it be used over other Runes?
    It provides detection to a theme sorely needing it on a viable kit without being over-costed.
    What makes this Rune unique and fun to use?
    Who doesn't want to use a badass Lion riding Paladin.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    uaChakra likes this.
  2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Nice grunt, a bit too powerful for my taste, and it looks like it will be goodstuff fooder.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

What about it do you find too strong or is it just too much for the cost?

4. GabrielQ

No, it's just that it will have a lot of stats if comandeered or boosted. But I don't think that discussing balance makes any sense right now, with the current state of the meta. So nevermind.
    You intended to make it so simple? I can't think of a nice specific interaction with this rune in a beast or a paladin bg other than the forced synergy of aid defense and his race/class.

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Forgive me if I seemed to come across as defensive. I am merely attempting to understand if there was an aspect or interaction that I may have missed. Input from other people makes tweaking a concept much easier. I personally do not see Commander: Paladin as being a issue with this rune, however I agree that Boost: Beast could be and was something that I missed entirely. Personally I feel that Boost X: 3 is bad for the game but do not know what the devs may have in store for it down the road. Assuming that Boost is here to stay though , how then could this rune be changed to prevent Boost from being an issue?
    The rune was intentionally designed to be simple. The game is being streamlined and simplified and I kept that in mind when creating this concept. I am not overly fond of complex mechanics but like runes that fit together with pre-existing stuff while adding something or filling a role that is needed while retaining thematic elements.

6. only

only Active Member

such a massive shield and golden armor in general is attraction for a new ability based on it.

perhaps base could be Attack, Detection and Divine Shield? maybe even Basic Attack: Divine? something like LoL of protectorate?

7. GabrielQ

I didn't took it as if you were defensive, it's more that I shouldn't have mentioned balance, because I should wait and see and then adjust my own balance perspective with the revamp. Also, boost beast 3 isn't available anymore, so it's not that big of a concern.
    About simplicity, I agree it's a good thing, but your sentinel of Al'mara was as simple and yet it had some interesting interactions with relic guardian and NCPriestess, or sentinel with improve range. Of course I don't have a good idea of in wich way this rune could gain a synergy like that, but it comes to my mind that both attendant squire and houndmaster (support units for paladins and beast bgs) have the ability to grant champions charge (and so does glorious charge) so it could be related to that, even if charger knight already has the spot for 2x2 paladin charger.

8. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I'd say its raw stats with its set of abilities is a bit too much for a 78 nora detect unit.

since u wanna make sure ur detection unit can also fight (and harass), he should cost more than just this.

52 hp, 3 def is not supposed to come at a 78 nora despite its 6 spd, ofc this is an exception for those that are truly tanks.

but this guy has 13 DMG, and can do Pounce and Sonic Roar. This would mean that you can't just block him, but he has alternate damage too thats AoE, and can even cap a font by going in front and Roar once to gib the font first (as a first-liner).

ofc since he's large, Pounce is very flavorful and beneficial while a hindrance if u try to assassinate opp's back liner (veilwalker, drak morph, etc). however, his upgrades are also good: battle harden 2 is auto for me.

The rune have so much potential but perhaps keeping his role as a detection/tank unit should be emphasized, I propose:

Race: Human, Beast
    Class: Paladin
    Size: Large

Stats:
    Cost: 78
    HP: 50
    DEF: 2

SPD: 6
    RNG: 1

DAM: 11

Abilities
    Attack: Physical
    Detection 3
    Aid Defense
    Aggressive
    Pounce

Sigil

Upgrades
    Mark of the Cross
    Vigilance

Battle Harden 1
    Rend 3

This way, I think he can be less splashable (since you intend to go for paladin's detection). He will be like Wild Griffin, (but better) since u can splash it to Sigil, put him in meta BG with both Pallys and Sigils, while also offering either Pounce/Battle Harden. But not in splits that basically goes for "whos my detection unit with the highest base stats and offers more than what he costs? this guy! okay, this guy'll be my detect unit for my random IS split"... Basically he becomes super costy if not played within specific BGs

Aid Defense means he should be in the frontline, instead of a sneaky detection unit. But his raw stats is a bit too high. Due to his high base DMG (13 for a tanky detection), I lowered his DEF -1, and HP -4. Accounting for banner +5, he already has decent base HP.

Battle Harden 2 is too strong imo for a splashable champ. I also think Sonic Roar is a bit too much and doesn't fit his role. He's already a tank, then you give him Sonic Roar. The only comparables here is Varu Dragon. The difference however, Varu Dragon does not have Pally's synergy of super healing and cleanse every turn.

I was going to give him Block 1 (comboéd with aggressive, he becomes the BG's anti-melee, but its really strong given his high DMG, he becomes too tanky, so instead I gave him a snowball ability - vigilance).

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

updated for new upgrade system

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Cut down a couple points of damage. Post-revamp, 13 is pretty high, especially when coupled with Impassioned. This guy would be hitting 18 Dmg with Banner and Impassioned out of the gate - on a Pounce champion, no less. I know he's expensive, but -3 dmg, -5~6 nora would seem a good idea.

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

A comparable rune would be Myx Broodlord that has 1 less damage but also has +1 speed +1 range and +10 HP. But I actually agree Impassioned likely wouldnt be an upgrade that should be on this champ. Any suggestions to replace it?

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Op Assault would be an easy choice, at least as a placeholder. Different way to force engagement. Not familiar enough with Paladin's to suggest something more colorful than that.

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Actually that is perfect. It fits with the "theme" of the abilities on that tree dealing with engagement.