Is it pointless for new players to do pvp?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Jan 21, 2017.

1. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Is it useless to play pvp as a new player? There really isn't anything you can do. Your shrine has about half the health of the other player, and most players who have been around a while just run their avatar around so even if you are playing well you cant kill their shrine. It seems like if you don't have an avatar there is no point playing. And I assume when I do get one it will just be a game of who can catch the avatar. Atleast make it so they dont get a health boost and ap on turn 1. I had an enemy shrine in execute range when it gets up, restores 20 health and hops right away.

Really wish there was a mode where they were turned off. It is so much more tactical when you have to actually defend your base instead of just move it away from the enemy

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

no it isn't. it's how you learn.If you constantly do nothing but PVE you will NEVER be good at this game.

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. edmek55555

Fair enough. It just seems like there is literally nothing to learn. Most tactical games there is plenty of stuff to pick up over time. However most games I have been playing the experienced player just plays a champion every turn and runs their avatar around. I rarely see a spell or equipment used. Its generally just, make a big horde of champions and keep your avatar far away from the enemy from what I have witnessed so far

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Try watching some gameplay commentary on Youtube and such. Some of them are old and has stuff that doesn't specifically apply, but general principles will still be valid.

Tweek516, Etherielin and SPiEkY like this.
  5. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

Play PVP as much as possible. You learn too much. Many combos. It opens your eyes to many many different scenarios to learn from. You will LOSE slot but if you don't learn from every match then there is something going on.

When and when not use all you AP and calculating power turns is very important.

Have fun.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Observe games that higher rank players play and try to see if you can figure out what they're doing and why, and if you're having difficulties with that, you can try watching some of the commentary videos, they're usually pretty good at explaining what's going on.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

A default shrine has only 19.5% less HP, not 50%. That shrine health accounts for a victory in a stunning minority of games. Avatar power when transfigured can account for a slightly larger number, but still a small amount. Most games do not hinge, but that point in time, on such slim margins.

And yes, it is absolutely worth playing. If you want to get good, though, I recommend doing about as much watching as you do playing. Play some games, take a break, watch some games -- not because there is some great power disparity between wealthy vets and f2p newbies, but because observation is a different kind of informational experience from playing, one that allows you more time to consider what is happening rather than to actually plan those happenings.

Tweek516, NevrGonaGivUup and SPiEkY like this.
  8. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Also worth noting, a transfigured avatar generates 20n less per turn than a shrine. If your opponent transfigures they have to maintain a 2 font advantage or else you will have a long term nora advantage. As long as you don't overextend in order to threaten the avatar, just getting them to transfigure can be a game winning move because you can just sit back and use your nora advantage to build a bigger army.

Ballballer and SPiEkY like this.
  9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm of the opinion that going aggressive is actually better when your opponent transfigures, but that's controversial.

10. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

Me too except I have overextended a couple times and I failed.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, I think that it's a matter of going aggressive on opposing champions, rather than the opposing avatar.

12. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i played too much pve when i started and i regret it now. play pvp, you will lose a lot but learn and get nice rewards from the ranked system. also watch other players to get ideas on bgs and how to start/play in each map. also an avatar costs 8000gold in market and comes with banner. its less than a week of gaming, even just a couple of days if you do heroics quests. get the avatars of the factions you play the most

Axeraiser likes this.
  13. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Avatars are only 5k. They are also fun to level up.

PvP just takes a while get the feel. Finding a faction where winning comes easiest is key.

Avatars and shrines used to be able to fortify (shield your shrine for one turn). Extremely useful. It would be cool if shrine defense was brought back but in a faction flavorful way.

14. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

PvP is the best way to learn, take your losses and learn from them, figure how and why you lost as opposed to raging because you lost.

For example one of my good Pox friends @Agirgis1 used to just be a trader and never played PvP , we were in a guild together and I talked him into PvP , playing games with him exposing his mistakes, he learned from them, gained confidence and developed into one of the best UD players in the game as well as being capable of beating all the top players in the game. Sure he lost a lot at the beginning, but losing is the ONLY way to learn effectively.

15. Olgachary

Olgachary The King of Potatoes

Try doing 2vs2's I found it was the best way for me to learn because of all the markings the other player could set out on the board to help guide you and explain why your aiming to do certain things. It's a shame there isn't a casual 2vs2 mode, but you can go far with one good player explaining and guiding.

16. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Once you've played for awhile you will likely realize most games end before the avatar is killed or comes into play.

That said it is a tiny edge in their favor and they can effect the out come of a few games but the biggest advantage they have on you is experience, nothing in pox is more valuable then that.

Also you can buy avatars with gold I do suggest investing them sooner rather than later since it takes awhile to lvl them up

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  17. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

The first time I became the number 1 player in the game I did it without an avatar.

18. edmek55555

Can you or anyone else here suggest an opening sequence so to speak. I feel that may be a big part of my issue. I generally send a few champions around to collect fonts and once the enemy is a decent way from their shrine I pressure it with a strong champion but it seems everyone else keeps all their champions in one group at all times

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Pretty much never attack the shrine. In specific situations, or with specific decks, you will try to kill the opponent like that, but mostly Pox is about board control and advantage.

Etherielin likes this.
  20. edmek55555

In similar games I normally sneak in a unit to attack the base so they have to pull some of their fighting force or waste resources to defend it. However Im finding out that doesnt exactly work that way in pox

MaruXV likes this.