Is Stone Dragon runnable?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Fikule, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Simple question ^^

I don't really play IS, but my brother does. And this was always my favourite rune really early on.

He seems to have a lot of defense going for him, but is, of course, lacking the colossal that other factions seems to have on a large tank champ. On the other hand he isn't Lethargic or Ponderous I guess and is heavily resistant to two common damage types and immune to two lesser ones.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

He's a decent candidate for a construct deck.

I feel that he's about 3 nora overcosted and there are undercosted options available, such as GRE, so I wouldn't run him.

If you get a feel for the meta (or whatever you are up against most frequently) and you see alot of magical, physical or warrior then I'd say his status elevates possibly enough to validate his cost.

In the rankings that I was competitive, several sources of altenative damage was frequent, such as lightning, fire and phsy, which usually always come from non-warrior sources. That makes his resistances useless and if you can negate his resistances he's monumentally lackluster.

Edit: on the other hand, I ran him once in a game vs Kanen which was largely warrior/phsyical and was able to get tough3 on him and he simply was not killable. That was nice, but he's also fairly ignorable.

3. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

He lost planar bound.

That was the main thing that seperated him for alot of other construct tanks. that and antagonize.

4. Gwyndionnz

Gwyndionnz I need me some PIE!

It depends on whether you want the absolute best, most efficient BG there is, or whether you want to run the stone dragon cause HES A FREAKIN STONE DRAGON! I tend to lean towards the later.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I thought it was better before blood rage was changed. Then you could get him berserker and not lose any AP.

6. Fikule

How about now that he's 63 nora? :)

7. Gwyndionnz

Id run him at 65 for the extra resistances
    However, if we're comparing him to other constructs after recosting, who can go past a 51 nora GRE?

8. Fikule

Isn't vuln magic a deal breaker there? And everywhere? Forever. :p

9. Gwyndionnz

Possibly, but there a ways around it, like stacking tough, using defender and boost champs, using calcify (which brings him down to 49 nora) and given most magic is ranged, using RD.
    However, don't let that stop you from using the dragon, cause he's awesome.
    On another related note, earth golem is uber-cheap now, at 48 nora with Magic resistance 3. Wondering if he's worth putting in with blessing of almara.
    Glider has always found a place in my decks, now it can come in at 39 nora I might run 2.
    Glad stone colossus is cheaper, but wondering if 66 nora with crushing blows is too cheap.