Is Unhinged Bok "Good"?

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by StupidJerk, Jun 12, 2014.

1. StupidJerk

StupidJerk I need me some PIE!

I'm asking because I recently got one and have been trying quite hamfistedly to force it into my battlegroups, but I keep finding that I never deploy it. Needleclaw imp seems better, Sheoul Demon seems better, Soulbleeder seems better... typically all the times I try and use it, I just think of something I'd use more often. I really want to like it, but I don't quite see the merits.

Does anybody use this champion? Why? What upgrades do you choose? If not, what would you choose over it?

(To give some context, I have zero legendaries to prioritize over it, and my most "expensive" UD runes are a soulthirster and two imp vixens)

2. StupidJerk

Seems its max damage output is 25. This requires max tormented, enrage, and psychic amped to be on in addition to the UD faction bonus and warbanner. Psychic amped requires it to be out for 8(16) turns for a mere 1 speed, 2 damage, and an aura - unless I put something like mail of barbs on it (which would be kind of a waste since it already has tormented)

In comparison, Gahlroon has 21 damage on deployment, 22 with warbanner, and becomes 28 when blood frenzy is triggered, gains multiattack, and effectively does 32 damage when using power attack.

Deep Elf Fanatic has 15 damage with warbanner, 19 with max tormented, can technically scale infinitely with surge, has AoE 1 with pounce (and almost as maneuverable as the flying unit with it) and generates nora.

Am I missing something? The more I look at it, the more I wonder why anyone would use this champion.

dueljewel likes this.
  3. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

your observation is correct

4. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

Nobody uses Gahlroon today. And the only Gahlroon that will ever see the light of the day is the one birthed by a Demonic Wag. DEF (Deep Elf Fanatic) works only in a full-demon, or Grimlic BG.

Anyways, Unhinged Bok, the few times I managed to use it happened to be a very good rune. The Manic with 1-2 range on her from killing anything is incredibly helpful. Even withouth her Tormented activated, her Charged Attack+normal attack+charged attack barrage is a killer. In a good turn 4 attacks? Sign me up!

5. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

does manic work on ranged champs?

6. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

nope, they changed it because the possibility of 6 ranged champions getting it (gloombringer + goblin's thievery)
    I'm not sure if it will give a melee attack to a ranged champion though.

7. StupidJerk

How do you rack up charges? Supercharged gives her so little that even triggering amped takes a huge number of turns.

Edit: Also, how do you use charged attack twice in a turn? It has a cooldown of 1.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    MakarovJAC likes this.
  8. MakarovJAC

Ok, son, I might not be the best player around, but I know a thing or two about this faction. That said, it doesn't mean I'm some sort of know-it-all genius. Just a guy whose been around since times long forgotten.

Listen, if there's something you can take for granted here in UD, is that you must not get too attached to a champion because, eventually, it will die. The difference is that ours dead serves a porpoise. That's why we have got so many sacrificing spells which for some reason only 2 (barely 3) are used today. If you expect EIGHT turns just to have an slightly stronger champion, your girl will die long before she's grown an arm good enough to barely go past a 3 DEF.

Supercharged is optional, situational even. Your girl needs to get busy kicking an bitting as many times as she can. That's what she's good at. If you want something to survive until it's got strong enough to two-hit kill something, try Gloombringer's Escalation+Leech Vitality instead.

About the Charged Attack x2, I wrote it wrong. It's supposed to be Normal attack+Charged Attack+Manic attack.

9. StupidJerk

Ignoring the incredibly condescending opening sentence, you basically just admitted that one of her abilities is entirely pointless. Needleclaw Imp and Hekatian Arbiter seem to do everything she does, except better. Hell, even Gahlroon and DEF which are apparently obsolete and niche respectively have better synergy with their abilities.

Granted, I really didn't start this thread to insult anyone's play style or anything. As someone who has yet to even get one of the awesome meta runes, I was looking for a reason to pick her over anything of lower rarity. Thanks to everybody for offering clarity.

10. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Been thinking of a way to make her efficient in my next UD bg, but so far i haven't come up with anything great for her.... The champion seems to have potential but i don't see how yet :D

11. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I will say psychotic break is a really cool, flavorful, elegant, and balanced ability. In fact the whole unhinged bok design is really cool and flavorful.

StupidJerk likes this.
  12. MakarovJAC

You are over reacting. Specially since I made it clear I'm not the best around.

If you think Gahlroon and DEF are better over her, do it. If they don't work as well as she does, not my business. If you think that one single, situational abbility is what makes her strong or not over plenty more helpful abbilities (Enrage, Manic, Charged Attack), well, you will have even more problems than I have against powercreep+skill bs. Also, you will have problems getting along Sacrifice, Retribution, Avenging Flames, and even Bok Warden. Seriuosly, what is there wrong with not using Supercharged? Is it so important that the whole world is useless if you can't get it?

If you can get to use Needleclaw Imp intead of her, why on Earth are you even thinking it? Use a cheaper rune which make exactly the same as an expensive one, or even better.

Or...maybe yould be happier using Blink, Dorf Mortar, Strip Armor, Grintmaw Shaman, or exploiting Non-Kan-Do perma evasive+counter attack+Majestic+that evasive spell which redirects other spells+Crystalize+that other spell which makes all attacks against a champon miss combos. Now that's codescending.

13. drathys

drathys I need me some PIE!

lol

14. StupidJerk

Exactly. I don't know where you learned that it's socially acceptable to call a complete stranger on the internet "son", but I've literally never met anybody who appreciated it. It's the equivalent of calling someone "child" or "kid". It's nothing short of condescending. That said, I have no intention of dwelling on it. Thank you for your input on the matter.

She is flavorful, that's why I like her and wanted to learn more about how she was used. But now, realistically thinking, she just doesn't seem versatile at all.

15. MakarovJAC

So...son has the same connotations as "Child" and "kid"? It's way too dumb. No wonders why you get offended for everything. Anyways, using her just takes a little bit more of thinking than just playing her, then let her abbilities, and a spell or two to do the job. Otherwise, Prot's over there.

16. StupidJerk

Offended for everything? You don't even know me, man.

17. MakarovJAC

In three replies you have completely deviated the subject (a good rune), and focused only on a noun, as if that somehow had any value. Listen, except for my periodical rants against powercreep and Protectorate in general, we don't come here to offend each other for no reason. So, behave like a good player, and focus on the game, or scram. This people already have enough with me to have to put up with your junk.

18. StupidJerk

All I said was "Ignoring the incredibly condescending opening sentence" to let you know that I didn't appreciate it. You're the one who continued dwelling on it. Don't make me out to be a bad guy for being insulted by something that could have insulted anybody(when you could have just said "sorry" and it would have been over instantly). Nobody's forcing anybody to "put up with my junk", so you're free to just stop.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  19. MakarovJAC

Can you simply stop replying to me and focus on the thread; or to open a new one for that matter?

20. caine1138

caine1138 Well-Known Member

I'd say...

If you aren't running a themed bg, then there are better options.

Also, Widowmaker might help get you to where you seem to want to be.