Kalasle's FF Tier List -- PS4 -- 8/30/17

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

There are 6 potential sources of caverns you could feasibly have out at a time
    2 voil queens+2 of whatever that relic is called +2 voil progs

I didnt run the voil progs because they cost the same amount as sciean and they didnt really serve a purpose for me

No list for you because ha

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Can only have out 5 sources of Caverns, because the Titan is Mythical.

3. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Tru

4. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

depends on the skill level of the player using them and of the opponent. I would rank many of these decks much differently.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

These two things influence everything. Tier lists elide player skill, and assume that each pilot is equally competent with any deck; their purpose is to analyze the decks, and anything quickly turns reductive and uninformative. As for what the opponent is using, that's factored into the tier placement. A theoretically powerful deck that happens to get hosed by something very powerful within the current field gets a lower tier placement. Because of Pox's small population, this is more nebulous in these tier assessments -- some potentially viable decks have literally zero competitive representation, so it's hard to gauge.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

You cant judge decks based on player skill if you are ranking to the upward bounds of a decks abilities. You have to rank based on the tools available to them to counter other decks. How difficult it is for an opponent to counter the deck. The efficiency of the runes available to build the deck as well as the depth of viable runes to pull from. Another metric I would use is redundancy. If you have multiple sources of counters to various things in your deck you will be more successful.

19madfox95 likes this.
  7. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

alot of this is opinion tho. a person whos mastered a deck and knows its strengths and weaknesses will rank that deck differently than a person who hasnt.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This is not necessarily true. Original tier lists for various games were constructed off of purely statistical data about win/loss percentages and matchup success rates. While Markoth is listing reasons why a deck may or may not be placed into a certain tier, that's just part of the abstraction process -- purely statistical models of deck success rates have their own potential problems depending on the aims of the list-maker. There are a couple different ways to articulate an understanding of a competitive environment, and each has their benefits. For Pox, I think subjective tiering based on theory crafting and anecdotes is currently more valuable than mathematical tier construction. Aggregating appealed-to authorities is another approach, but communities must generally recognize those authorities for that method to work.

9. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

the game doesnt have enough players for the stats to really mean much. its especially lacking highly skilled players.

10. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Does pox have any generally recognized authorities? Tiny and Rath?

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

MW right now:
    [​IMG]

19madfox95 and Gnomes like this.
  12. doubtofbuddha

Also I hesitate to say that Voil are Tier 1. They are much, much better than I thought they were but that is different from saying they are one of the best decks. I guess I could main them for a while to find out. It is a mystery and I love a good mystery.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yup. Glad we're on the same page. Which is why I think appeals to particular authorities and statistical tiering are a problem, so abstract theory crafting and community work seem like a good approach, which is what I'm trying to do here.

Yeah, but I'd want to run the Caverns-focused list through its paces for tossing them out.

Gnomes likes this.
  14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I think they are a step back from the best decks but being a flying theme they have a lot of additional mobility that can allow them to perform at an equal level or even exceed that of some better decks depending on the map.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Still not quite convinced Voil are tier 1, will need more observations. Haven't seen anyone playing Semis yet.

Considering dropping KF Junk / Magic down from DTB after the changes to Throne -- anyone have opinions on that?

Also put Worms in tier 1, ironically from watching a game where someone hadn't a clue how to play them.

16. doubtofbuddha

Do I need to come back and play semis?

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not for at least a week. It can wait. Perhaps this would all be better left until Expo 28, depending on the release time. Enjoy your 4x.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Looking closely at Lonx -- 2 sources of Aid Defense, one of which is on a ranged unit, seems very strong. They also have access to Sermon, and a variety of strong melee champs. Any have experience or comments on them?

19. doubtofbuddha

@Cydna has been playing them a lot lately.

20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Lonx are like 1.5 The problem is that Lonx Missionary and Luminary are too expensive. If they were 4-5 range and Luminary had a more defined role that would help. I don't use Lonx Recruiter at all, he's too expensive. The Lonx build I have utilizes cheap champs and Hunter: Crippled.