Laptop Thread! (Buying a new one, need help!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EnigmaXIII, Aug 21, 2014.

1. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

Soo im buying a new laptop, its primarily for school, im not too concerned with gaming since i can run poxnora on pretty much anything. Here are the specs i was thinking of getting:

Intel i3 Processor or higher
    6G of RAM or higher (Windows 8 Requires more Ram so i thought 4 isnt enough)
    500G+ Hard drive
    15.6'' Screen (Dont care if its touch or not)

Ive found a laptop with just the specs i need, but its an Acer Laptop and my friend had one and said he wouldnt recommend it.. First of all, am i looking for the right specs? Its meant to be primarily for school, like i stated previously. And second of all, does laptop brand matter a lot, and if so whats the best/worst brand.

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Really depends on what you are planning on doing with it etc. Are you into audio or visual editing or will the laptop be primarily used for word processing and web browsing? If you do a lot of audio or visual stuff I would to recommend anyone but Apple. However they are pricey so if word processing and browsing are all you plan on doing I would look into Lenovo or ASUS. I am partial to ASUS but Lenovo is superb and has one of the most competent customer support depts. so they are amazing if you feel you may need help.

3. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

The fact that you mention PoxNora in the same sentence as gaming when referring to laptop performance is funny :p

HP Elitebook is what we use in my workplace. They work like dreams and are powerful laptops as well. What's your budget?

4. EnigmaXIII

My school work doesnt require a laptop necessarily its just for word processing and browsing. I have heard that Asus and Lenovo are good but i think they might be a bit pricey for what i need, particularity Asus. Like i said i dont need a super computer, im not gonna do too much gaming on it. I had an HP and right after the 1 year warranty ended the fan blew out.. Ive been told that might have been due to the processor, but the customer support wasnt great either. I want something versatile and durable, and if it breaks i wanted to have good support. Not sure if that means i need a certain brand or just a good processor tho lol.

5. EnigmaXIII

Haha, thats exactly why i said it, i dont need something that can run a lot, if it can run games like poxnora im pleased.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I have heard the Surface 2 and 3 are pretty awesome for college students but I don't know it they can run pox etc.

7. gillo

I personally have a Lenovo Ideapad U410 and that has better specs than a Mac, looks like a mac and runs Windows... What more can you ask for? ;)

8. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

9. EnigmaXIII

10. EnigmaXIII

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Looks like a decent book. Pretty sure it doesn't come with Microsoft Office so hat may bump the cost a bit if that's something you want. Personally I use google docs, spreadsheets etc. if that's something you plan on using look into chromebooks they may not be able to run pox but they cost like 60-100 bucks.

12. EnigmaXIII

I can get office for 11 bucks thanks to a job lol. But you think the ASUS is good, or should i just wait till i can get something as good as the leno? and why exactly is Leno so good, ive heard so many good reviews now, its it customer service or just well built laptops?

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I love ASUS they make some quality stuff. In the 2014 notebook rankings ASUS missed second place to Lenovo by only a single point.

14. EnigmaXIII

Thanks for all the help, i might get the ASUS then. Still curious why lenovo is so popular though.

15. gillo

Lenovos just do what they are supposed to without any problems. At least that's their reputation.

16. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

This new Lenovo Latop has some serious issues keeping connected to WiFi though =(.

Outside of that, no real complaints, getting what I am expecting with a cheap laptop.

17. EnigmaXIII

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I love the Bane Shift out of my surface pro 2. This thing is the freakin bomb. I've had almost every tablet and laptop and this one wins, hands down. I don't game on it though.

19. EnigmaXIII

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I like acer. They are on par with dell, hp, and sony, but less expensive. I prefer lenovo for business use.