LE Runes and Availability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mercer Skye, Jul 6, 2014.

1. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

Good point h0spy. Personally, I always assume we are talking legendaries as well when we talk limited. I think a few things like doombringers are the only LEs that aren't obtainable in another format. Personally, I just think of them as prettified runes with no impact on the game otherwise. Things like naming tokens are way more interesting to me personally.

As to waiting for the game to produce enough Legendary runes randomly in packs to satisfy demand.....ummm what? Do the math on the current playerbase. You've got scads of legendaries in all past releases that are primarily held in dead accounts. You can tell this because even pay sites don't have them available to sell. Now, project the frequency that individual legendaries will drop based on ALL of those past releases. Yep, that's one big player influx you are projecting. In fact, it's an absolutely monstrous number in order for the supply to not be completely out of whack with demand.

2. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

The major and selling point of this GAME is and shouldbe that you play agaisnt othe rpeople with Runes.
    Tryingto brand it as a real collective game is just silly since the cards are free to reproduce in the inifinte and can be done so in the blink of an eye.

You want people to play your game and to do you should not leave some runes unobtainable. I dont care if its in a reskinned version but all runes should be available for everyone to purchase/draw in a pack/box/goldstore.

Players of the game is far more important than collectors.
    If you do not feel all runes should be available to people you are not promoting the playing part of the game and is imo wrong and harmful to the games potential growth and playability.

Mercer Skye, SireofSuns and Sunutsu like this.
  3. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Yes I want meat pies what a silly question to ask.

In all seriousness though if you start a game with only 100 players and then go to 5k how in hell are any of them going to get access to pies?

LE skins and special fluff is fine to make collectible.
    LE runes that are unique should be available no matter if they are usable, trash, or not.
    People have their fetishes even for horri-bad runes.

I also think the the LE skins should be the off color ones. Everything normal looking should be the standerd accessible runes.

4. BansheeX

+1 because Yobanchi said exactly what I meant but more elegantly :)

5. Glad0

Glad0 I need me some PIE!

Just make limiteds an extremely low draw rate in all packs. I see no problem with them being rare since I can't think of any limited rune which is necessary to any BG. At least this way they are obtainable. New players and old players alike have just as much chance of drawing one. If new players can't handle the fact that a worthless rune made for the sake of just being rare is hard to get then do we even want them playing pox?

6. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

I think limited edition runes should be re-released, such as SOE did with the Angels and Doombringers, so the newer players that never had the chance to obtain them the last time out will have a chance to get them. This was my case when they re-released the Angels and Doomies. I did not have any of them because I was not playing when they were originally released, and did not want to spend $100 on a single rune. When they re-released them it allowed me to obtain however many I wanted or could afford. They have yet to re-release the Harbingers and they are pretty much the only runes I have never obtained, not a one. Would I like to own Harbingers? Of course. However, I know the only way I will ever do so is to have them re-released.

7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

They've re-released Harbs twice, actually.

When they initially sold them (Remember, they were originally given to Beta players) and the Winter's Breath sale a few years back.

8. Gaedel

I think it's time to do it again. The Owls have not had a release to influx new income and this would be a good springboard for them to help recover the R&D cost of taking over for SOE and doing the revamp. Re-releasing the Harbingers I believe will get a positive response and results.

9. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'd be ok with reselling them as Legendaries, but I would much rather they not re-sell the LE versions. I mean, Limited means Limited.

PurpleTop likes this.
  10. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

the devs already said they wouldn't re-release limited runes except as reskin legendarys

11. mahesar

mahesar The King of Potatoes

I think all the Limited should be skins of other runes. Little special things that have no game impact, like the taunts, are fine additions to make them special, but beyond that, there should be a base version that everyone has access to, and they don't all need to be legs. They should be a limited version of something else, not something that only exists in a limited edition.

12. BansheeX

I dont care what they call the runes as long as they release them again.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. Gaedel

Agreed. They do not have to the the "exact" limited rune, but I should be able to obtain an equivalent Harbinger to play with.

PurpleTop likes this.
  14. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I agree. If they did this, they should make 8 new pieces of art for the Leg harbies (or whatever rarity).... one for each faction.
    Assuming they have the resources, of course. Leave the current Harby skin the same for the LE version

15. Gaedel

Hold a fan art contest. Pyro and Aria are amazing!

Yelmo likes this.
  16. Yelmo

Yelmo Devotee of the Blood Owl

Andralexis does some great art too, IIRC. This would be a cool idea!

17. Goatmanji

Goatmanji I need me some PIE!

I'm a gamer first, and a collector second. But I am definitely some of both. Hence my addiction to Pox.

I really don't mind if I simply cannot obtain a rune, as long as it does not provide something I cannot obtain on another available rune. If it has a mechanic, interaction or particular playstyle that is not present on another rune in its faction, I will want it--and even if I have to wait patiently to be able to obtain it, it has to be obtainable.

I understand that runes obtained on a limited basis is a TCG collector's dream and is the point of LEs, but as Banshee states, this is a strategy game. The TCG aspect is and should be the devs' main income source, but the core of the actual game is strategy. Having even only a few runes available to some and not to everyone else is very bad for balance in a strategy game that has constantly struggled in that regard.

18. Gaedel

Especially for newer players! How can a game survive without influx of new players? It can't. Then why would you want to cripple new players before they even get started by telling them they are not able to obtain runes they will need to succeed? I would even go a little further by asking why would you want to cripple it by making them pay a lot of money to hoarders and secondary sites in order by obtain the runes they need to succeed? In order for this game to succeed, the LE runes that are hard to impossible to obtain is fine ONLY "as long as it does not provide something I cannot obtain on another available rune".

We need the new player base to believe they are able to succeed at this game without a huge investment. I know some of us old-timers have spent a lot of money on this game already. However, it makes no difference if the game closes down because the Owls are not able to make some money on it. They WILL NOT make enough money on this game with the current player base. We all need the new player base to believe they are able to succeed at this game without runes that are hard to impossible to obtain. That is the ONLY WAY this game will survive as long as WE would like it to.

We were LUCKY the Owls obtained this great game from SOE. If that didn't happen SOE would have pulled the plug and EVERYONE would have lost EVERYTHING! Your 64 Harbingers wouldn't matter anymore. They would cease to exist. They would just be a memory tucked away in the "what could have been" section of our brains. We were so close to losing everything. Some of you might take it for granted. Some of you act like you take it for granted. Let the Owls do their thing and get this game to the state they believe it needs to be in order for it to succeed, and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback to help them on the way. I also guarantee they are NOT spending all this R&D time and money on this game ONLY for the current player base. After the hard work is done, I expect them to advertise, and I expect to see quite a few new players join the Poxnora family. They NEED to feel important BECAUSE THEY ARE! We need to make them feel important.

We were so close to having the Poxnora Wikipedia page say "Poxnora WAS an online collectible trading card game." I would, and I know all of you would, want it to remain, "Poxnora IS an online collectible trading card game."

'nuff sed

Lauremoon and KingJad like this.
  19. Gaedel

For me it was Angels and Doombringers. I was lucky to be active when they re-released them. I tried to trade for the Harbingers with no luck. Everyone wanted real cash.

20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

You must not be very good at trading I found my harbs easy and cheap >.>