Lets do more with fonts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strings, May 22, 2014.

1. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Fonts are a major aspect of this game, one of its most defining features. There are other TBS make-your-own-army type games, but be it Tactics Online or Dogs of War they do not have the same font based system as Pox. And yet, nothing is done with them. Sure, you get some grass or sand depending on your faction, but that bonus is largely minor. I am thinking of some bigger uses.

What about fonts that have requirements before they can be captured (i.e. occupy X number of fonts first), or fonts that have positive or negative effects (like minor [4 or so] AoE damage/healing each turn) or fonts that require X number of turns within their boundary?

I'm sure people can think of many other interesting ideas and I think it would be a great addition to the game. It could also act some way towards map balance, as movement on the map could be partially directed through font requirements. Your closest fonts, the natural ones, could be more secure (need 2 enemy champs to capture) etc.

What are peoples thoughts?

DarkJello and Goyo like this.
  2. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

We can definitely consider things like this in Single Player. Ranked PvP is another story because there are many more things we would need take into account. It could be possible to do something like this for a new map where the layout is designed to take advantage of a more complex game play, but even then it would probably only be in private matches.

At this point we have a lot of other things we need to address first before even considering new mechanics like this. But, I do like your reasoning of doing more with existing mechanics to make Pox unique or more distinctive. :D

Goyo likes this.
  3. cf66

cf66 Member

Or even a hilltop font with a cannon/archery tower in it with *arrow shot. That would be too cool.

4. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I think we should do more with fonts.

5. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

I love fonts. I think we shouldn't have to all use times new roman in the forum. Now, I'm not sure we want people dropping ransom notes because we let everyone just do anything they want with fonts but it would be nice to have a few more options.....

Oh wait. Those kinds of fonts.

Paper Skull and DarkJello like this.
  6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Hell yes

TNR is so ugly ... I want to use Palatino Linotype! :p

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Apercu is where its at.

8. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

My thought is that the multiplayer aspect of the game does not need more font interaction.

Fonts are a relatively simple, and yet crucial mechanic to playing against other people. It's not only about grass or sand or whatever, most importantly it's a deployment zone, also it's a source of income. Contesting fonts for long enough wins players the game, and there is no need to add additional unnecessary elements. The learning curve is already high in this game, and many spells and champions interact with fonts in one way or another.

When pox started the font bonus was noticable, unfortunately this has since changed.

9. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

I'm a Century Gothic kind of man, myself.

newsbuff likes this.
  10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

nubs.

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

first turn you cap a neutral font, it becomes a nora generator. second turn you hold the font, it upgrades to nora plus deployment
    when you contest a font, it downgrades one level each turn.

I think this will slow down the game just a hair and make font contesting less pivotal.

12. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

One issue I've always had with the game is font sniping, be it from speed 8 champions or stealth champions. I realize not everyone would agree, but delayed capturing sounds like a positive change to me.

However, I think this is an idea for eventually -- I wouldn't recommend doing anything major like this until after the revamp, because things might change.

13. Boozha

It would certainly kill everything that remotely relies on rush.

14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I would leave fonts mechanically as they are now and include more abilities that affect them directly or indirectly, like bound nora and consume resources.

Paper Skull likes this.
  15. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

can sp nora gen revolve around fonts?
    suggestions:
    add more pillage

consume resources
    nora 30
    target controlled font becomes neutral and you gain 50 nora

thoughts?

16. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Boozha

GO

AWAY

18. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I say making the fonts more about board control (deployment zones) and less about nora generation (lower the nora gen from fonts).

I like the game as is, and don't see this changing. I do prefer a more balanced approach to nora generation. When an opponent has more fonts than me, I feel like I am losing two battles (board control, and resource development), and my end is always nigh.

I feel like reducing the nora reward at fonts (not eliminating it) would make font capturing more strategic and less economic, instead of it such a double boon.

19. dirtylimey

dirtylimey Devotee of the Blood Owl

Fonts are just glorified birdbaths.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dagda made the joke before I could