Lets Talk About Ctharia...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Qno2, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Qno2

Qno2 The King of Potatoes

Or more specifically, the LE version. First though, a little history for anyone who doesn't know/forgot about her. The original Princess Ctharia was introduced by SoE during the Bonds of War expansion as a single rune for 300k in gold. It was quite obvious back then that they were planning more runes in a similar fashion but community feedback was rather harsh (rightly so) as due to the obscene gold price it cost made it virtually unobtainable. The 150k's were bad enough. Anyway, she was originally a split hero between FS/UD which didn't make any sense (She was basically unaffected by the revamp as the current version is almost identical to what she was released with.) She got changed to a proper FS rune and given hero due to pressure from the community. The revamp came round and she got a Legendary reskin like all the other 150k's.

As it currently stands, I would feel pretty confident in saying that LE Ctharia is the rarest tradable rune in the game. I've never seen it in game, I don't know of anyone who owns one and its value in all the external stores (poxbox ect) is ridiculous. So what? There is the Legendary version that some people no doubt have now because it can be gotten in extended set packs. I feel that in its currently virtually unobtainable state, it hurts the game plus it can't be a good incentive to new players to tell them that if they enjoy the collectible aspect of Poxnora, it might not be possible to complete that collection if it were to include a rune that might aswell not exist. It also creates an imbalance between the factions as FS have 4 heros compared to the 3 that all the other factions have.

So, what do we do about this? Well, the main problem I believe is the current number of copies of this rune is too low. I don't know how many copies exist but its stupidly low. DOG could do something to get more copies in circulation. It could be given to players as a reward to completing a campaign, as a reward to tournaments or even make it buyable, for gold or real money, in a single rune store type thing. She also needs to lose hero; just replace it with mythical or unique. Keep her cost the same though as +15 nora for losing hero would put her more into the shoebox than songmaster. Other ideas welcome of course :p

I don't have anything against the design of the rune or anything but I feel the LE version is better esthetically because she looks more human than like a circadian; the Legendary version is quite obviously a circadian. I think this distinction is necessary because her flavour text refers to the Caecaelia being the rulers of the circadians which implies that they are distinctly different from normal Circadians'.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    Goyo and Sunutsu like this.
  2. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

There is no such thing as chtaria.

Sunutsu likes this.
  3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i feel the same way i been searching for the white limited Light Of the Circle and i have only came across it only once (fought against it)
    i also have seen the brown LOTC which is much more easier to find
    i think Leg Chtaria will be easier to find one Forgable legs are available

4. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

I wouldnt worry too much, if the gamebase grows, there will be a good number of new players. These players wont have access to any limiteds and if they stick around will want to. In my mind if the game goes in the direction DOGs thinks it is after steam release, there is a 100% chance that limiteds will all be accessable for either purchase or rewards albeit probably for a limited time.

5. Qno2

Qno2 The King of Potatoes

I'm not sure if this is a bad joke or what but I've not made any typos in her name...
    Yea, both the reskins of LotC are pretty cool but Ctharia is a bit of a different story because its lack of availability is a massive reminder to me of why SoE buying Poxnora was the worst thing to happen to this game. It didn't even make any sense to release it back when they did either because it wasn't like they gave you the option to buy like 100k gold for real cash or anything so I don't think it even made SoE any real money out of ito_O

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

What doesn't make sense to me is that she is a hero that is Legendary. Every other hero in the game is Exotic. Many have Limited equivalents, but there are none that are just Legendary/Limited except for her.

7. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Unique LE runes like harbingers, Doombringers, and those fuzz balls with crabs should be addressed.
    It is an accessibility issue that is glaring at the very least. Leg versions should be made available at the least.
    With craft able LEG this will make rune access acceptable in my eyes.

The next question after that will be if the fine line if said LEG crafting is too easy or hard to get.

8. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

If ALL runes is not available in one way or another (aside from trading with other players) the game will fail upon the relaunch at Steam.
    New players wont accept that some runes are unobtainable and the bad press they will post on the Steam forum will be a deathkneel to the game!

Etherielin, yobanchi, Sunutsu and 2 others like this.
  9. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Not to be a jerk but i have 2 of the white light of the circles lol.

10. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Back in my day Harbs where un-obtainable and we didnt complain!
    Seriously speaking.. More harbs please.

11. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Limited runes should remain limited, limited items exist in most games, and they're exactly that, limited. LEG versions are welcome, recolors preferred.

I hear tens of millions of players who started playing LoL with 50 skins being unavailable quit a few days later because of this issue. Come on guys...

Edit: and before you say skins =/= runes, think of LE runes as skins for the equivalent LEG versions

12. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Have you not sold off your runes yet?

13. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

The only stuff that has any business being "Limited Edition' are PURE reskins. These act as incentives for purchase and rewards for early adoption/sticking with the game/legacy rewards for/proof of buying x at y time.

Otherwise, Limited makes no sense when we're talking about virtually generated pixels. I actually have quite a few of these, and I don't care about any of them they should all be available to new players.

Qno2, Imperatrix, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  14. yobanchi

The problem is right now most LE are unique runes and have no LEG counterpart.

hfok likes this.
  15. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

So apparently collectables are bad for games? If thats the case someone go and inform CSGO that they are doing skins and knifes all wrong because im yet to see someone complain about the several hundred dollar skins. Sure skins and champs are completely different, but when the LE's are completely useless (like the majority of them are) they really don't require a LEG counterpart and all the playable LE runes already have a LEG version, do you guys really want to see 20hp runes like Mechanical Crabs and Vampyre bats have a obtainable counterpart that will never be run anyways? What im getting at here, is all the people who are stating that LE/Collectable runes are killing the game, need to take a look at some of the most popular games currently and how LE/Collectables are not dragging them down in the slightest.

16. yobanchi

Haunting spirit, Harbingers, and Doombringers aren't playable?
    I guess you're right because no new players will technically have them to play.
    Yep...not playable....literally

TheBulwark likes this.
  17. chickenpox2

i tough dooms were ok how about KF doom or UD doom?

18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Dooms kinda suck now

19. chickenpox2

DOG could easily solve them by removing sandbaggy ability like KF romove psychic amp

20. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Haunting spirit is pretty meh, why run the champ when you can run the spell. Harbs are more playable before but plenty of people still seem to avoid running them even if they have them, however these and Grimlic of Kthir are the only LE runes that I believe need a LEG counterpart currently. As for dooms, perhaps you havent noticed but they are god awful, why anyone would wish to have or even run those runes amazes me. Only Doom that looks like it's somewhat decent is KF, yet that hasnt been run since revamp. My point being, just because some LE runes are at a certain strength that they need a obtainable counterpart, doesnt mean all of them should. Pox is a collectable trading card game, and it's not a good collectable game when it doesnt have shiny collectables...