Looking for BG advice.

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by ShionNR, Mar 31, 2014.

1. ShionNR

ShionNR I need me some PIE!

Hello. I'm looking for some advice for my BG, both on runes and how I can use them better on the game. I really don't have much experience on poxnora, I only used to play single player campaigns and dailies, I still do but now I want to play some pvp.

This is the BG I came up with:
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/c93C7yCw4chbC8bcpMCaXcoXc9dCg-cuPc4nS6Zs12sns72s4fs5arTr2Pr8e1me2ye2J

I got this after some days lurking this forum and I kinda like it, I always liked to play FW anyways. The thing is, I want some advice on how to get better, I did play some games with this BG and lost due to silly mistakes, but regardless that I want to know if is there runes with better sync and how to use this BG more efficiently, advices in general.

I made this BG with shadetriker as main beater, draco-lich, etheral soldiers and warspirit for melee and moragen and inkblight for support. Also Serkan and Xulos for being Serkan and Xulos. But I'mstill not sure about harvester and librarian, they are there for the general support(mainly detection) but I don't know...

Well, that's it.

Sorry for the bad engrish

2. Dolphinllc

Dolphinllc Member

Hey, welcome to the world of FW PvP!

I believe your spell selection is Solid. Your Champ selection is kind of tearing you in different directions however.

Draco-Lich and Inkblight are good champs, and even better with in lich and witch decks respectively. However, in a purely goodstuffs deck, I don't think they make the cut.

Look into Utterdark Planeshifts and Skeletal Lerpers for front-line harassers/contestors with built in range-negation. Warspirit is an interesting choice, and not that many people use soulstrike in their BGs anymore. I haven't experimented with it much in todays meta, but if it works for you then thats what matters.

Moragen and Hoarfrost Lich are also not commonly seen in todays meta, but I have seen them work. Moragen is extremely situational, usually very useful when she can get close to a group of enemy ranged units. If you can get used to her crowd control abilities and learn to use them well, she can be worth it but it will take lots of practice. I use Whisperghast not only for alt-frost damage but the ability to move my champs to the front line quickly.

As always, your mileage may vary - play what you enjoy :)

Also - I am in your shoes as well. I returned from a long hiatus and am constantly beating myself up for making stupid game-losing mistakes that I never would have made previously. The only way to change those is practice practice practice until its second nature.

3. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

I use liches, and i hardly deploy draco liches, just when they cost 72 with the help of leverage:lich, you should get cheaper tanks like skeleton raider, also helps you with detection.

4. ShionNR

Thank you for you replies, Indeed I feel that my BG's overall synergy is a little off so I'll try with the champions you suggested. I really like Moragen so I'll stick with her a little more. Also, I'm thinking to keep my inkblights for the shroud, just in case I need evasive on my ranged units.

As for Whisperghast, surely is one rune I had my eyes on since I started to make my BG, but I can't afford one right now, I'll try to get one or two as soon as I'm able to.

Again, thanks.

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

For shroud I can recommend mute stalker.

6. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

What do you find yourself using the Librarian frequently for? I used to carry it but found other runes instead so just seeing if you like/use it.

7. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

I'd need a better idea of where you're trying to head with this, but I'll try to give the best advice I can given your rune selections, and maybe some suggestions.

What I'd definitely keep;

Ethereal Soldier x2
    Ghost Stalker x2
    Serkan x1
    Xulos x1
    Shadestriker x2

This is a pretty solid core. One of which I'd highly recommend just about anyone who plays FW to memorize, at least until a point any of these things get nerfed into unrunnable. Soldier, Striker, and Stalker all harmonize so well as a group it's nearly absurd. Xulos for sure, who runs FW without one? Serkan, another no-brainer include. These are all really great picks.

What I'm curious about being in here and might suggest keeping;

Death Harvester
    Librarian x1

I'm confused on why these guys are here. Well, maybe not the librarian so much, he is a solid utility piece, but Harvester for sure confuses me. If it's for want of another detection option, Raider is better. If it's a nora gen from death's and globe collection...I'd really just suggest bringing a Corruptor or a Magelord/Bokor. Maybe even a Ghast.

Death Harvester really, really shines when you can better capitalize on Death Harvest. Haunt, Wake the Dead, a slew of cheap champ options. He's not bad, but one haunt doesn't really make a DB module. But I have a particularly large soft spot for the bird, so I won't flat out say cut him.

Moragen - She's a really excellent hero, and in a game full of heroes that are a touch crazy, I think of her as the 'balance in a see of OP.' Nothing on her kit and statline really make her over the top, but she does really well in general, but other than a Grim Well, I don't necessarily see where you're going with her. Though, in all honesty, Battle Hymn alone is usually enough reason for me to keep her in a BG, so I'm on the fence here.

But you definitely want to take a hard look at just why you want these three in your battelgroup.

What I'd cut;

Draco-Lich x2 -
    Warspirit x1 -
    Hoarfrost Lich x1 -
    Inkblight Witch x2 -
    Moragen x1 -

Not that these are necessarily bad runes. In their own right, they can all be pretty useful. But from the top;

Drao-lich really, really benefits so much more from a bg dedicated to playing up his strenghts. As in; Full Lichs, or dedicated Conduit proc'ing. Neither of which it really looks like you're setting yourself up for. A decent Lich module, but not necessarily dedicated to Lichs, and you have enough Curse/Hex/Disease to make it work, but not enough to really guarantee you'll have it when your really need it. And I assume DL is the reason you have a Soulbane? Which isn't a terrible spell in its own right, but we'll get there.

Warspirit- Really, really shines when you can stealth it. And when you can provide reliable DMZ to 'mask' it. Seems a really out of place rune in this BG.

Hoarfrost Lich- I have a love/hate for this rune. Mainly since it's never as effective in FF as it is in ST/FW. But, Crystallize and Chill are pretty decent utility and alt damge, and anything that can reanimate is pretty decent efficiency, but without any Boost: Skeleton or other means to capitalize on that efficiency better, I just don't see it being that great here.

Inkblight- While that side cleavage is hella OP, she's unfortunately another champ that I just don't see being particularly awesome here. She's a solid tank, but I don't see any other sources of Coven besides the Warspirit, of which I would cut him, leaving you only the Inks to trigger it. She's good, just not doing you any favors in this BG.

Spell selection;

I'm going to disagree on the spell selection being as solid as it could be. 2x Anathema over 2x Mobi is just a fundamental no-no in my book. For only 5n more, Mobi will almost always bring more impact to a match than Anathema will. If you're going to go 2x on only one spell in your line up, Mobi is my suggestion before anything else.

Soulbane without a Magelord isn't a bad idea, but you're running a Grim Well, of which Steal Life is likely the stronger option. But it's not a horrible pick. I'd consider cutting it for a second Steal Life though.

Haunt is pretty great. No complaints about it here. But if you want to keep the bird, I'd maybe consider a second, and maybe even some Wake the Dead and a Sacrificial altar for some clutch LoL plays.

Speaking of LoL. Soulreave + Reaper's in my most humble of opinions is just redundancy you don't need. And on top of that, you were stacking it beside a champ that already came with Soul Strike. I just don't think you need that many defensive counters with only 30 slots to work with. If you cut Warspirit, that still leaves two, and is still one more than I'd go with. I'd favor Reaper's if you keep the Librarian (Recycle ftw), or Soulreave if not.

Vex is OP, good pick

Grim Well isn't my cup of tea, necessarily, but it works amazingly with Moragen, and even without her, it's still a pretty solid pick. Personally, I'd drop it for some Sacrificial Altar reliability, but that's me.

Unholy Tomb seems a bit much given the Death Harvester, but it can be a really good deploy early on. I've grown less attached to it over the last couple of years, but it can be a very potent relic, especially if your opponent doesn't have a good answer for it. Though, lack of Tome of Hate makes me sad, and I'd likely trade up the Tomb for it. ToH is pretty much a rune that's great whenever you get a chance to drop it. Shrien healing, making heavy scrying possible, one more point of LoL every round for more forgiving damage calculation mistakes. It's just a really solid include for all stages of a match.

Reaper's we touched on with Soulreave. My personal pick if you keep Librarian, otherwise drop it in favor of Soulreave.

Soulreaver. As potent as it can be, and our only form of cleanse, I'm still usually pretty 'meh' about it in general. Mainly for the fact that the defiled debuff doesn't persist on targets leaving its range. Susceptible to equipment removal, and most times, it's usually better just to let the champ die and drop another one on the board. Not going to say cut it, I just think you could likely do better.

Vendetta- Great pick. Even if you didn't have a Serkan, it's still a great piece of equipment to have around.

Probably enough for now. It's really just a matter of looking at what you want to accomplish, and making sure your champs and non-champs work well together to achieve that intended goal.

8. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Librarian is a keeper imo.
    It is a fantastic utility champ.
    Teleport and Portal makes it easy to get him around. He has Spelldetection, Detection3. He can do Antiequip for and generate a little nora as well as generate nora on spells and at teh same time he slowly makes the opponent lose a little nora.
    His damage and range is horrible (as tehy should be) so he is balanced, but you dont find many utility champions that are this good in FW.

Mercer Skye likes this.
  9. Mercer Skye

I agree fully. I didn't really give him a fair shake in the assessment other than 'Eh, if you want to,' and Librarian really is excellent enough that he just demands a spot for being so awesome. The only problem I ever run into with Librarian is the odd occasion he becomes a dead slot, either for lack of spells from the opponent to feed Hex, a lack of stealth to warrant detection, or I'm not getting any good oppurtunities to use my equipment and the opponent isn't using any of their own to make recycle worth while.

But for that price range, there really aren't that many great options that are just good all around.

And that sounds like I'm knocking him as a great utility piece again, but that's not it at all. He really excels when he gets that opportunity to shine.

10. ShionNR

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Very well, I'm convinced that Draco-lich and Inkblight are out of place on my BG. I'm also liking Librarian, so I'll stick with together with Reaper's blade. I'm not sure with what to use to replace both Draco and Inkblight.

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/ciNCw4chbC8bcpMcoXc9dCg-Cg@c69cuPctIc4ns6Zs12Sns72S5arTr2Pr1r8e1me2J

Is this BG close to have a better sync? Corruptor indeed seems better for me than Harvester, so I'll try him. Also I'm keeping Hoarfrost and Warspirit due to having nothing to replace them, as I said before, I'd love to have one or two Whisperghast to replace these two runes, but sadly I'll have to wait.

11. Mercer Skye

That looks strikingly more solid. The only thing I'm still curious on is Soulbane. Which is an awesome finisher, and the global debuff can knock the edge off of your opponent's tempo pretty decently. But I might consider putting an Essence Drain in that slot, and seeing how that works out for you. Stacked AP on a Corruptor w/Reaper's+ Essence Drain = A harvest you may not have had otherwise, and a potentially huge tempo swing.

12. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

I think an essence drain is a must. It can be expensive but when your opponent puts out a beastly opponent with high defense ED is a great way to knock it down and kill it quickly.

Mercer Skye likes this.
  13. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Librarian is nice because you can recycle reaper's blade, so you can use it on champions that you ussually wouldn't equip with it, like serkan or skeletal raider or the librarian himself, get the kill/harvest and then recycle to get your nora and your damage, in case of serkan, back.
    I agree that you should include essence drain, simply because ED + 2 soulstrike = dead (not always, but with unholy tomb and such almost assuredly)
    The only thing your bg would be lacking is the whispergast, and maybe sarinda (or soul siren, but only with spectre)