Looking for BG Help and Advice

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by ArchersAxe, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

Hey guys, just looking for some guidance on KF BGs. When I lose hard it always seems to be against certain abilities. So I'm just looking for some general advice or rune suggestions.

I've been running KF Beasts as my primary for a little while now. My main problems:
    • Impenetrable: The counters I have to tougher champs tend to be Abilities (mainly Doom). Even out of theme, many counters and support in KF can be disrupted by Impenetrable and I cannot seem to find a workaround. Only thing I have considered would be the KF Reno, but the rune itself is quite situational and can easily be killed.
    • Punishing Aura: Probably more of a problem in how I play, but the advantage our bonus gives just doesn't mesh well with the concept of Punishing Aura on the opposing side. I can't just spend all of my AP each turn, but storing any amount more than 2 can really result in some significant damage overall.
    • Resistances: This is as much of a problem in KF Beasts as it is in Treefolk BGs. Many main beasts run either Physical or Magical damage. Actually, looking at them now, there happen to be zero KF Beasts with alternative damage.
    So these are my main problems. I suspect I focus too much on thematic play, so suggestions probably will result in something outside of the Beast theme. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

You have to post your bg. but for resistances you can use frostfall quiver or burning oak seed, punishing aura champions are paying for their cost so they shouldn't be much of a problem, and for big threats, condor fury/renovator should be able to handle with basic attacks, you just have to make sure to run enough AP for them to suceed

3. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

Thank you! Those equips totally slipped my mind.

As far as posting my BG, I do not believe it would benefit me any. I can receive rune suggestions without people knowing what I'm using and adjust my BG accordingly. I've been around long enough to do that part. Also, by posting my BG, I may receive biased advice instead of simple rune suggestions. I'm not saying what I run is a secret, but I do not want advice regarding the construction of it.

Again, thanks for the advice. :)

4. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

For tough champs, especially those w/ impenetrable, you'll want to look to your delaying spells and softening equips. You might also try withering fern (it's 3 hp AND -1 def each round). After a couple of rounds, the super tough champ will be much easier to handle. This is especially useful when coupled with KF delay spells, like time slip or carnivorous vines, which are your other counter to tough impenetrable. One can't be cleansed, and the other is so cheap that even if it's cleansed, you're gaining a nora advantage.

Every now and then, you run into one of those super-tough champs (think Klub w/ Spike, 3 def, 3 tough, scale armor, impenetrable, and a lot of hp), and the only thing you can do is wish you had a spell like essence drain, drown, retribution, fading recollection, etc. But every faction has it's weakness.

If you move outside of the beast theme, you'll also have options like slam damage from centaur skirmisher, and soulstrike on experimental warspirit (which I don't run anymore, but sometimes i miss as a super-champ counter).

5. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

Slipped a Carn Vine into my BG for last match, and it worked wonders. Thought it worked out quite well. Thank you Raikan.

Slam has always been something I wanted to really push for, but I just figure I'll run into Unstoppable champs.

6. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Warspirit + either timeslip or forest embrace

7. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Ospryan Valkyrie is a Beast with Attack Sonic, but yeah... more would be welcome.

8. Raikan

Oh, I forgot. Fairy trickster is pretty good w/ metamorphosis too.

9. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

Yeah I missed that one, but let's be real: I haven't seen that played since its release. :p

10. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Hey now Ospyran Valk is a great rune, just that range is it's only downfall, 2-5 and call it good.

11. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Kinda wanted to touch base on what you said, while I totally agree with Carn vine (in most cases it's always a win for you 25 nora and most spot cleanses are 10-20 nora more) however if you extend your champion based on that fact that "it can't move" and leave yourself vulnerable in the process it'll be a certain loss on your end. So be carefull when using these sort of spells (runes like withering fern and easy mode stuff tho, herp derp drag and drop material)

12. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

There aren't a ton of impenetrable champs, and the main thing it would prevent us from doing is Soothing serenade. KF is probably the faction with the most of both of those abilities.

Punishing aura and punish are both nasty abilities against us because we like to save APs. Vortex usually gets those guys out of our hair as they tend to be slow and have short ranges...otherwise, rooting and moving away is best option.

Alt damage types are not our forte, however we do have options. burning oak seed and frostcall quiver and poisonquill trap which are all decently playable on their own. Beasts also have access to poison, and Ospyrian can do sonic damage. Vashal Quillquip is quite nice with a frostcall quiver attached. Distract, cold damage, and both poison and chill damage over time, and shatter to boot. The ospyrian is actually decent, despite not seeing much play. Detect 3, declare target, and distract along with a rarely resisted alt damage on an 8 speed flyer. his only problem is his min range needs to be reduced and he'd be quite strong.

13. Raikan

I'd like to say I've never done his before, but it wouldn't be true :(

14. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

It happens man, I still do it. Mistakes are the only way to learn, in life and in Pox.