MAFIA -- Skyrim; The Dragonborn GAME OVER MAFIA WON

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PurpleTop, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Pretty much anything you do, regardless of intent, is going to be perceived as scummy by somebody. And, like has been said, at this point we've got nothing to go on so every little thing means something, even if it means nothing.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Lol, you always claim Bane Shift you've got no reason to be claiming. You kept throwing my name into the loop because I had you emotionally charged and you really wanted to retaliate. But you'd always change your mind. I removed all of your control. I minimized you into an invalid status by making it look like you were retaliating via emotion. I didn't even have to point it out, people just picked up on it and ignored you. Then, as you were sitting there isolated, it was easy to paint suspicion on you since you were unable to be cohesive.

But enough with that game, you got owned, move on.

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

As far as how to post in Mafia, it seems to me that you need to be a) right and b) consistent, once you have too much bad luck/judgment then you swing.

Also, hiding behind nearly zero posts is a decent strategy but to me its no fun.

4. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

checking in and LOL

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Why would you try to do that again? attacking me so early?

6. Qucas

Qucas Guest

I would act silly but that probably wouldn't go over well.

7. tangmcgame

Yeah, I'm not doing that again, either. It ended up being downright catastrophic.

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the problem with "acting silly" is that it's just a different way to spam posts, basically. it doesn't get you anywhere aside from establishing that you're there, but it can drive people away if there's too much spam (i know a decent number of us have a memory of a game like this in our minds)

there's no real merit to it, i'd say, but it's not often worth lynching over (by itself) simply because so many people do it in some form or another. it would take too long to wade through the muck, most likely.

also look at that bakki stirrin up Bane Shift. heyo. am curious, though- what do you mean by this, "once you have too much bad luck/judgment then you swing."

it's also worth noting, qu, that you've got a history of posting badly. i realize pulling up old games tends not to be relevant, but what you did just then was the same basic thing as your "acting silly" (and pretty much your entire post history in the first game where you were, in fact, mafia). saying nothing while giving the impression that you're around/contributing. gotta find a way to work on that

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The conversations about that game have nothing to do with this game, don't be stupid.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

@Dagda I havent really started in this game yet, most of that other stuff was OOC setting the record straight. If you wan't to hold that against me, then great, do it. Once I'm lynched, if it got to that, it will be obvious that you were looking for an easy early target on which to place suspicion. If that's the case, you're maf and will go down soon after and trading a townie for a maf this early is a great play. Most of what I'm writing here is preemptive, since if you go forward with that sequence I'll be hanging and unable to speak after my death. Memoirs ftw.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It was made to seem like a catastrophe and your fellow townies were not quick enough to recognize that. But yeah, I wouldn't disagree with that assessment since that game is so recent.

I will, however, say that this statement offers up a nice pot of reverse psychology if anyone would like to view it that way "I'm not going to act like I did in the last game because I was townie and it was used against me and since I'm stating I won't use that same strategy I'm inferring that I'm in the same role as I was". This is not exactly suspicious enough to make you suspect, I'm just noting it now as part of my memoirs pending results of above post.

PT will likely have made 3 mafia, I expect him to put two veterans, probably "buds" together will one noob. The next most logical decision by him would have been to change the rolls up a bit. I expect one previous townie, with one new "vet" and either one previous or new noob.

Since I'm blowing out of the gate like Regulate did last game, I'll most likely be murder target #1 if they are unable to get me lynched (hint:doc).

Anyways, I'm on business in fuhking Ohio and they have the worst food I've ever been forced to eat, thats including USMC chow halls. I've been here since Sunday and don't fly out till Friday afternoon. If there is a bit of a sharp edge to my words, these things could definitely be causes.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

One last note before I go to bed. I will say that "stirring the sh!t" is not necessarily a bad thing. Last game our biggest threat, by far, was Regulate who was definitely going to pain us if he wasn't taken care of. The doc failed to recognize this and so we were able to lynch him quick, otherwise I'm pretty sure he would have ferreted out one of us and who knows what the outcome would have been.

13. tangmcgame

Yeah, I said in the last game, before it even finished, that I would not be behaving the same way in the next game. Interestingly, you going hyper-analytical is exactly what you did in our previous game when you were in the mafia. So, if you do something differently you're suspicious and if you do the same thing you're suspicious.

Which means we're basically nowhere.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah, but notice I didn't actually do anything but not the activity. Each of us would need to decide if the other is acting differently because we are in the same roll and want to appear different or are we acting differently because we are in the opposite role and want the latter to seem like the obvious choice thereby suggesting the other.

Or, are we acting differently because ... revers psy/double reverse psy etc.

If the game was full of Tang's that'd be some good play, but I don't think others will be able to follow that on an intellectual level and the fog of confusion will frustrate and offend likely causing suspicions earned.

Since I was feeling feisty earlier and took an active roll, I will continue that roll as far as it takes me but for now I will go to bed (for real this time) and I've got a full day tomorrow so I'll hold off until tomorrow evening to restart the hyper analyzing of the days comments.

15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

role*

also, to make it clearer,
    what'd you mean by that

also? it's pretty early to be getting all defensive. day phases are hella long or hammered (and people have a lot of time to drive the hammer home, mafia would tip a huge hand by forcing a hammer early). i'm not trying to set you up for anything, i'm merely pointing out that you're stirring Bane Shift up with another person again for, when you think about it, next to no reason. the goal here is to cooperate towards a shared result. not to **** other people over and try to claim credit for an equal win. so far as early targets to put suspicion on goes, yeah, i think i've made that clear- it's what i'm doing. i'm creating Firking conversation. it's not just you. get over yourself.

your responses are not instilling me with a great deal of confidence, mostly because of all the defensiveness. i dunno.

anyhow, so far as metagaming goes, 3 sounds right. so far as who goes where, i'd be disappointed in the PEET if he didn't stick to randomization. sure, it sucks when you stay mafia for 5 games in a row or whatever, but if you create extra patterns that your players can game (on top of the standardization for mafia numbers) then you're mostly just asking for a shitty game to happen

aaaaaaaaand so far as who i'm leaning towards for a d1 thing, there's always been a certain class of person that i don't really like to lynch d1, simply because i find them increasingly likely to be mafia the longer they live. regulate is the perfect example of this- he's one of the better minds and one of the most outspoken members of the group in general, and he's recognized for it. if he doesn't get killed within the first 2 days, 3 at the most, something is up.

in bakki's case, i'd likely try for someone else before i home in on him. this isn't to say that living through the night makes him guilty, but it can situationally add up to a scenario that looks enough that way to make me vote.

16. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well since no one has voted yet this post makes me want to

VOTE: BAKITKASE

I actually picked up on the same line as daga reading through the posts. It seemed quite odd to me and counter to a lot of what I believe about how mafia works. I am horribly inconsistent, I regularly get a wagon started, find something someone posted that seemed off and totally change direction. Being set in ones way seems more of a scum or unhelpful town to me. Being right or wrong also rarely means much. What matters more is justification. I am far more likely to find the guy who said yeah I agree he is maf than I am of the guy who provided solid logic (though I am guilty of occasionally just throwing a vote out with nothing else to get discussion started when all I have is a hunch).

The second post seals the deal for me, blatantly directing the doctor, especially to oneself is pretty much universally considered scummy for multiple reasons.

1. It makes the mafia less likely to target that person if they think the doc will follow that advice.
    2. If a maf makes this direction they are both protecting themselves from both potentially missing a night kill and from any vig shenanigans
    3. The only word in which it makes sense to me that a town would try to direct the doc is if the player in question was the doc themselves trying to persuade maf not to kill them, in my view this would be a rather risky gambit as maf can easily rally people against you (or jump on a bandwagon that finds you suspect).

I am comfortable enough with the unlikelihood of option 3 and the high likelihood of option 2 to make my vote.

Further more going back to the earlier post that second line sounds like a whole lot of scum having fun to me.

As a general note, I would like to request that people refrain from referencing previous games. 1. It is bad practice and against the spirit of the game to metagame this way. 2 Not everyone played the last game so it is quite hard to follow a conversation that is more or less without context.

Just as a side note, have a hunch dagda is maf.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

If I was maf I'd be doing 1 of 2 things, 1) saying nearly nothing until a decent target has been voted a few times or 2) creating false alliances by being cordial.

I agree with the previous game non talk points you've made, but the truth is, it has a huge effect. Additionally, once it was brought up, the bags open.

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

In your 3rd point, it makes sense to me to ask for protection when, in the previous game (sry, the bag is open) the person being aggressive early was probably going to win the game for the town, made himself a formidable mafia target, but got failed by the doc. I guess it makes sense that way because that's the way it is.

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Ooc, I just read that we have 96 hours to dayphase. I'd not have even signed up knowing that. With that on mind I'm not really interested but as I walk up to the gallows realize that at least one Maf has prob posted against me so far. That's a fairly small pool so remember those names. Another maf has definitely not posted or not posted anything of consequence yet. So get that list going as well.

Lastly, my best defense is actually the way I've acted so far. Waaaaaaaay too risky to do this on day one.

I do not expect to make it to the end, if let to do my work I'll definitely be aggressive the entire time (since that's the mantle I've chosen) and if you can look past the guy on the box with the bullhorn for a few rounds, you will probably have a field of vision that includes at least 1 Maf.

@Dagda what I meant by that statement is that if you are loudly targeting more than one incorrect lynching you either had bad judgements or luck, but either way it gives maf easy targets to sneakily nudge into suspicion.

Anyways my last post until I'm compelled to vote, or hammered. The amount that I'm talking is too frequently and I'd like to hear from others. My strategy and points are clear.

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I thought it had to be randomized who was mafia/role.