Magic The Gathering Pysical/Online Player Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Thonskie, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Heads up for those with MTGO accounts, they're doing free Shadowmoor block and Modern Masters sealed this saturday.

Of course MMA is a phantom event but you get to keep the SHM/EVE stuff in your pool. Plus there's prize support as well so people might actually play them.

Keep in mind that it's a server stress test so weird stuff might happen but hey, free Magic.

All info here http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1483

Hella quick edit : queues filled up in like 3 minutes. Oh well wish me luck, I have no clue how Shadowmoor plays.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Alfodur likes this.
  2. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

So I got the 2014 Toolkit while it was half-off in Amazon the other day on a whim. 4 boosters - 1 with foil Supreme Verdict and another with mythic Savageborn Hydra. I am cool with this + a neat box for 10 bucks. I mostly just got it for another a box to put cards in tbh XD

3. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

So yeah those 2 sealed event were... something. Putting aside the obvious technical difficulties attached to a 1024 players event (yeah, it lagged), it was pretty cool.

First pool had nothing too special, ended up B/W because when you have no clue how the format works you zone in the removal. So Unmake, Soul Reap and Ballynock Trapper worked overtime. Grindy deck with Doomgape as a finisher because hey, it's sealed, you can pull off ye ol' 7 drops. 1st match was "welcome to a new format, hope you can splash another color in 2 minutes of sideboard". Dude got Stillmoon Cavalier on turn 3 both games. Had no answers. Got dunked. The other 3 matches were another story, 2-0'd all of them. Lots of hyper stalled board states where conspired Aethertow or Trapper triple tap with Cenn's Enlistment retraced twice finishes type of deals. It was a mess.

Second pool was another story. Since the first one got delayed a bunch of times between rounds I had to build my deck (and play the first game of the first round) while I was finishing the other one. I'm nowhere near good enough to pull of the double queue so I built a terrible mess of cards thrown together. My eye caught Overbeing of Myth, Wistful Selkie, a bunch of counters and draw spells and thought that UG control was a thing. Also had Slippery Boggle and a couple of on color auras and went "hey, that won in Modern it's a thing right?". Lost 2 matches in a spectacular fashion then dropped, it was close to 7 and been at this since noon.

Haul-wise, notable stuff (as in, worth the trouble selling) include Vexing Shusher, Overbeing, Necroskitter, Kitchen Finks, Rise of the Hobgoblins, 2x Nettle Sentinel, Reaper King (EDH GO!) and my prize packs, could bring 10+ tix but prices will crash because of the influx of the 12k packs that were opened that day. Hell, bots don't even buy SHM/EVE boosters anymore. I'll sit on that stuff for a while.

Lessons learned : I'm not made for long events like that (especially 2 in a row). Do more than a couple of practice pools before jumping in a new format. Everybody plays B/X. Retrace is way better than I expected. Wither > Persist, learned that the hard way. I made about 1$/hour and that's with no initial cost, so lolEV.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  4. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

WISE FWOM YO GWAVE

If you have a MTGO account and logged on in the past... dunno, 6 years? you've basically been given a free M15 sealed prerelease. If you don't care about that you can use the Phantom Points on cube when it comes back. The prerelease queues start today (10 AM PST) and will be going on all weekend. This is not a phantom event, you keep your stuff.

And if you didn't know v3 isn't supported anymore so you'll have to use the new client which I'm sure you hate.

soulmilk likes this.
  5. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

I have 2 accounts. D: I wonder if I have gotten this for both of my accounts then.
    -off to download the client-

6. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Pretty sure you did.

Just check other products, you should have 35 Phantom Points and 5... thingies that let you choose a color so you'll get the promo rare of the color in your pool (and maybe a seeded color pack as well, it worked that way irl)

soulmilk likes this.
  7. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I'm going to site and here and keep playing my physical MtG. On that note came in first place in 2 out of 3 prerelease event last week.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I sold off 6 cards for $400.

9. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Do say more. Duals?

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Revised Bayou, Revised Tundra, 2x Gaea's Cradle, 2x Show and Tell.

I also have a Foil Karmic Guide that I need to go sell.

11. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

I sold a lot of my rare cards last year or two. Mostly really old dual lands. But I'm a physical card player. Mostly standard, as I get too caught up in the ridiculous insta win combo decks and the. None of my friends want to play with me.

Been rocking control this block, mostly esper (blue/white/black) planeswalkers control, but also have a mono red burn, and green/white token/counter.

My control deck is definitely the best though. And unfortunately my work schedule conflicts with events, so it's been mostly semi casual mtg with friends as of late. But whenever I get the chance I so like drafts, FNM, and if the occasional tourney/qualifier.

Austin has a pretty competitive magic scene, and I don't have the resources (time) to compete on their level, so it's pretty casual.

12. Authyrtyr

My area has an interesting combination of extremely competitive players and really casual players that go to the same events. They're quickly broken apart once round 1 finishes.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

[​IMG]

Sleeper Agent was the centerpiece of a tournament deck I built for my brother to play right after... Apocalypse, I think it was, came out.

I had stopped completely at this point, but Apocalyse had several key cards that I had been waiting for (and didn't know I was waiting for it) to complete this deck which had been floating around for awhile.

It ended up being mostly a stall deck that was part land destruction, with cards like Pariah and Soul Link to keep enemy critters away, Scour and other things to wipe out any enemy combos. All the while Sleeper Agent would slowly eat the enemy alive.

In one of the first matched my brother played with it, he sideboarded in 2 Artifact creatures that I can't remember the name off, but when discarded, they become 5/5s... so, he drew 2 in his opening hand in the 2nd match, and the enemy Dark Ritual-Hymned to Tourach'd both of them. Was SO FUNNY.

14. naushika

naushika Member

I just realized I had a mtgo account from a long while ago too.. I got a shards of elara foil booster and 2 premium all foil decks (sliver / fire and lightning)

Was there some kind of crazy giveaway or something? not even sure they are worth anything trade wise (I'm pretty noob at mtgo, I remember I bought a couple tickets and made some decks using bots, but never drafted or anything)

15. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Just looked it up, they gave away all that stuff during the 10th anniversary, based on the year you created your account.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/200a

Since they gave so much away, I doubt they are worth much. I have trouble finding prices but there's nothing in those decks worth more than a tix.

16. Authyrtyr

I don't know about MTGO, but the real versions of those cards generally go for about 20 cents EXCEPT for chain lightning.

17. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Assuming that like 98% of the cards are way cheaper on mtgo, yeah, It's not worth a lot.

Hell that ~80$ foil Karmic Guide darklord needs to unload is like 2$ online.

18. naushika

naushika Member

hey, cheap cards online? I'm in :d

the only downside is , it appears the buybots only have 2 tickets for a few of my rare/mythics

19. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Just opened my pool : Burning Anger, Kaboomist and Hoarding Dragon (plus Siege Dragon promo).

What will I go fetch with Hoarding Dragon? Soul of New Phyrexia of course...

[​IMG]

Wall, Act on Impulse and Lava Axe have no business being in there but the rest is too good not to mono it and I'm not splashing for 3 cards.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  20. Authyrtyr