Marijuana going legal - is it the way to go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Sep 23, 2015.

?

Do you approve of marijuana going legal?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Dubious.

2. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Thats the education system failing them more than anything. Kids should be made aware of the reality of MJ instead of being fed propaganda that only leads to them not trusting anything they are told because they know that theyre being bullshitted to all the time. Also negative suggestion is a real thing that young people are particular vulnerable to. There are pros and cons to MJ use, there is no debating that but imho MJ, when consumed in moderation, is not a problem. Youngsters need to be educated correctly.

The problem with MJ is when people abuse it, like u say DMR, moderation is important as it is with a lot of things and you'd think common sense would prevail, but like with many other things such as alcohol, fast food, sugar, caffeine etc, people abuse it and dont practice moderation which leads to horrible side effects and serious risks to their long term physical and mental health. Its just a shame that stupid people exist.

Dont buy your smoke off of random people, buy it from trusted growers like i do, better yet grow it yourself and save yourself a ton of money. Then you avoid any filthy pesticides and additional crap that might be thrown in or laced onto the plant. Legalizing it should help with this issue as people will be more easily able to purchase it from trusted growers rather than having to buy it from shady middle man dealers and other dodgy individuals.

I do understand that MJ can have a negative influence on certain people that suffer from mental instabilities and illnesses or in some cases that some people just cant handle its effects or the way it makes them feel/think. That is why it is important to educate people properly and honestly rather than trying to push agendas. It isnt for everyone and there is nothing wrong with that, that doesnt mean that MJ is bad. It can have a positive influence on people too, as it does on my life. MJ helps me deal with my depression a great deal, more so than the poisonous Fluoxetine pills they give me and it helps me deal with my anger/short temper too. Maybe i crutch on it, but honestly i dont care if i do. Ive smoked it for a long time now and i thoroughly enjoy a good smoke when i want to relax, for me MJ is a wonderful thing and i have no intention of stopping smoking it, whether its legal or not. I am not an idiot however and i am totally against young people smoking it, especially during and before their college years, as popular as it is to do. It is important to concentrate during that period of your life and MJ wont help you do that, not when youre young and dumb anyway. A lot of people will abuse it and allow their lives to go to Bane Shift. I am very aware of this risk that comes with smoking/consuming MJ, i wouldn't smoke it before i go to work or before i was about to do anything that remotely required responsibility, it would be foolish and youre not practising moderation. Ive smoked it long enough to know how it affects me and being high does not make me productive, it does however affect other people differently so there is that to consider. Moderation is the important thing (broken record) and needs to be properly emphasised, especially as it is obviously going to be legalized soon.

I hope i got my points across in a way that makes sense, i am not that great at expressing the jumble of words in my head, i feel like i started to ramble on so ill sign off here. I just wanted to express my opinions as a long term smoker.

PhdNiceGuy, SPiEkY and Leadrz like this.
  3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Welcome to the club :)

4. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Educate them about weed specifically, not overall. I was saying you could put up posters and have classes on safe use, things like that. Education itself is a much, much, much bigger problem.

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Make MDMA legal next.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. oyo97

oyo97 I need me some PIE!

pls :)) and techno

7. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Talking about 'mental instabilities' sounds as if only a very minor set of people are at risk when consuming cannabis, and that those people know that they shouldn't consume the drug. That is not the case. One of the risks is that cannabis may lead to a psychosis, and this may happen the first time you actually take the drug. The controversy about the link between cannabis and psychoses is still ongoing, but until the scientific community knows more about it, I would think that cannabis should be considered potentially dangerous.

That doesn't neccessarily mean it shouldn't be legalized. Maybe it would be easier to identify those who are at risk when it's legalized. But I think it's not correct to say that it has some good and some bad effects. To say it may have some nice effects on most people and some life-ruining effects on others is more appropriate. And you don't usually know to which group you belong until you've tried it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    DarkJello likes this.
  8. Anima26

I wasnt trying to insinuate that there are not real dangers when it comes to MJ, there are ofcourse, i tried to make that point clear, perhaps i failed by not elaborating enough. I feel very confident in saying that those "life ruining" effects only affect a minority of pot smokers, that isnt me trying to down talk those potential dangers though. Otherwise half the world would be mad by now. Although, saying that, half the world is totally mad, but i doubt that has anything to do with MJ. I think if we are going to be accurate then you should be saying it can have some nice effects on some people, some unpleasant effects on others while it can have some positive life changing effects on some and some potentially life ruining effects on others.

"this may happen the first time you actually take the drug." Any evidence to back that claim up? Because its a pretty bold one.

Edit: The point you made about the risks of mental issues like psychosis and schizophrenia is one of the reasons why i said that educating people correctly is so important.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    SPiEkY likes this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Take the poll again after this generation of dope head loses has failed to accomplish anything.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Here's a fun fact about science, you can find a study somewhere to say just about anything you want. Don't worry people, that joint isn't going to kill you or make you crazy. Jesus the things i read on these forums.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I'm sure teascholar will be HIGH if this happens

Anima26 likes this.
  12. Anima26

You petty troll. Come back when you have something constructive and intelligent to say.

13. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Psychosis isn't "life-ruining." Especially not a single episode. Tbh, I think you may be a bit overestimating the effects here.

SPiEkY and Anima26 like this.
  14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Drug education in the US is like Abstinence only sex ed. It is based on fear and ultimately doesn't teach anything useful.

Bellagion, SPiEkY and Anima26 like this.
  15. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Depends on your genetic predisposition. It may just make you crazy. Killing you would be quite unlikely, though.

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

fine add a warning label "not recommended for those under the age of 18, those with a poor work ethic, or those from inferior genetic stock. Women who are pregnant should not smoke pot. Do not smoke pot while operating heavy machinery or talking to your boss. Side effects may include a relaxed disposition and the occasional attack of the munchies."

17. Anima26

I suddenly like you a lot Ragic. Someone that talks sense when it comes to this topic.

Im pretty sure hes just regurgitating things hes read on sites like wikipedia etc.

SPiEkY likes this.
  18. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's really a shame that misinformation has spread so well, it makes it much harder to educate people when they've already heard something else that says different, even if what they heard wasn't true.

Anima26 likes this.
  19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I kind of want to copy-pasta this into all the Off-Topic threads.

SPiEkY and Bellagion like this.
  20. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

The risks of MJ are being minimized by some in this thread. I don't find that particularly helpful. Too much praising, not enough skepticism.

I still think it should be legal, but imma never gonna be a cheerleader for smoking yourself into oblivion.

Define smoking in moderation please. One joint per month? Or "just" one per night?

I do very much agree that big gov is failing miserabley in properly educating the youth of America. Home and family are the way I combat said failures.