Messenger Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cortices, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Cortices

Cortices Administrator Octopi

So, while we're waiting for additional data to be delivered, we've been making the best of the situation by looking for opportunities to optimize the Pox Nora database. To that end, we just discovered the tables that power the Messenger feature on the website are by far the largest in terms of data size. There's just years and years of worthless data in there.

We're considering resetting this table, or possibly just removing messages that are older than six months or so. We'll almost certainly be doing one or the other, however, before we do anything, we wanted to get your opinion. How important are old messages to you? How long ideally would you prefer to keep them around? To be clear, this policy would apply to messages in every folder, read or unread.

The bottom line is, in order to keep the database as performant as possible, it's important that old data gets removed eventually. Especially for a game that's as old as Pox.

Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Lantharon

Lantharon The King of Potatoes

You can delete all messanges for, it was simply too long to do it by myself. Also best wishes for waiting for SOE. I was there during the infamous revamp and I remember well what happened! Btw thanks for all, best customer care I've ever seen, and I do customer care :D

3. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Anything older than 3 days can be deleted as far as i am concerned.

KingJad likes this.
  4. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

nothing is important everything is deletable especially those trade messages

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Start by the trade messages. Nobody will miss those.

6. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

delete

7. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

you can delete all the messages for as far as i'm concerned

8. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Yeah just delete em.

9. RainElf

RainElf The King of Potatoes

Delete all. Its 90% of trade notifications

10. xplint

xplint I need me some PIE!

Delete.

11. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I think I always delete mine anyway.... huzzah for me... keeping the game slick!

12. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

delete them, i don't care of message i've already read :p

13. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

As mentioned above 99% of mails are trade notifications, Deleting them is definately the best option.

14. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

Yup agreed. It's best to delete all.

15. tehnicianu

tehnicianu New Member

delete!!!!!!

16. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I say
    [​IMG]
    Chunk 'em!

Gedden and sassquatch like this.
  17. StringerBell

StringerBell New Member

Once in a while there was a rare message that I would save. Usually it was when I traded a huge rune (like a 150k gold when they first appeared).

But if we knew ahead of time the messages were going to be purged every X (week? month?) then I could easier write down anything I wanted to save in a Word file.

If it frees up valuable space I say delete all messages once they're read.

18. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Delete. Apart from that, the feature itself may be unnecessary. Invoices, trade notifications, etc... can be done with email. The forums have means for private and public conversation. Is there anything the website's message system does that can't be done using these other methods?

19. xRugolth

xRugolth The King of Potatoes

U can delete them all jus mostly trade messages any way

20. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

opinion on this seems to be pretty uniform.

Once you got the new message system up, and I'm sure you already thought of this, you could implement an auto deletion system as well. The user then gets to decide what message type he wants to keep for how long. For example trade messages will be kept for 7 days (to be able to check back) and other messages for a month up to 6 months.