Might and Magic: Duel of Champions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Monyx, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Monyx

Monyx I need me some PIE!

check it out its on steam - its basically a turn based card game. similiar to hearthstone or games like that but i like it better than hearthstone personally.

when u sign up to play pick login with uplay and use this referal code

L1UTV8

Itll hook you up with like 7 extra free decks and some free packs.

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I have played a lot of M&M: DoC. It was the main collectible game I played before this. I doubt I will go back now but it is enjoyable for sure.

Monyx likes this.
  3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

you had me at f2p

any advice on how best to spend my starting gold?

oh and the cool guys use this code: VU959U

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Do you know if balance issues have been sorted?
    Back when I played, Spells didn't follow a strength formula.
    If I remember correctly, every ability had a set cost and stats cost 1 gold per 2 stat, then every card had a 3 stat base. (So a 1 Gold creature could have stats like 2 ATK, 1 Retaliate and 2 HP) Being a melee unit made it get +1 stat and being factionless made it get -2 stat base. There was a few exceptions, but those was either very rare or actually went below this formula.

However as I said, spells didn't follow such a formula, so spell heavy control decks would almost always win over creature based decks.
    Now imagine I play a 4 Gold costing creature. It would have 3 + 2x4 stats, Like 4 ATK, 3 RET, 4 HP. (Then +1 in a stat if it was melee)
    At 4 gold cost, a spell could do 4 Damage to every creature. (Including your own, but as a control player, you would play almost none)
    At cost 6, there was many steal creature spells.

Artifact decks was no better. Imagine cheap cards that lets you gain more gold temporarily (usually something like 1-3 more gold than what you spent on it) Combine it with cards that could double your gold temporarily and card drawing cards. There was lots of OTK decks in the past using this, which felt like you didn't play against an opponent, was only your opponent playing against their own deck for luck.

The game was a lot of fun to play as long as I was playing against a creature deck, but as I went up ranks, playing against spell decks and artifact decks became the norm. In the end I left the game and haven't played it since. Have the balance of the game been fixed? And more importantly, have the Dungeon Faction been added? I think it's been around 1 and a half a year ago since last I played.

5. Monyx

i cant comment on that much soulmilk......i literally just started. i prolly know more about the meta now thanks to reading that lol. its funny i was gonna pm u and tell you about it but i guess uve already played it before.

if u play guys use this code L1UTV8

soulmilk likes this.
  6. Ragic

fify

Anima26 and Monyx like this.
  7. Ragic

There are a lot of things in the game that remind me of infinity wars as well. Liking it so far. It is VERY generous with it's f2p model. That's most likely due to the fact there is no trading in the game( if there is I haven't seen it yet).
    The nux only let's you progress so far before you need to start playing pvp matches. The quest/campaign system strongly encourages the use of decks from each faction. Decks are full faction (hurray) but there is a neutral faction you can splash into decks. The game looks good and feels good.

Monyx and soulmilk like this.
  8. Monyx

yea i agree with this. i just started playing and have a TON of cards....i also built something that kinda resembles a competetive deck. i dont think the deck is great.....but its not terrible either....and if i can say that after playing for 2 days i feel pretty good. played a few unranked pvp matches yesterday and won all of them. of course it was brand new players like myself but still i won. another thing i like about this game is the matches are pretty fast paced. now i have been in a couple pvp that went on for a good bit but for the most part playing campaign most of my games are 5-8 minutes.

9. Ragic

yeah campaigns are easy. but the practice mode AI can give you a good match.

btw, ive noticed that in solo games youre allowed to upgrade your hero as player 1 on the first turn. but in pvp you are not. is this a bug?

10. soulmilk

I'll try playing the game again now, just have to download it first.

11. Ragic

ugh, anyone solve the nergal puzzle? im stumped.

12. soulmilk

Move Wolf to Lane 2.
    Cast Lifting Wind on Wolf and Shark.
    Attack with Water Spirit.
    Summon Coral Priestess to move the Lich.
    Attack with Shark.

Ragic likes this.
  13. Monyx

Go soulmilk!! :p i havent even tryed it yet so im goann refrain from reading that. altho i did hit lvl 10 last nite. and i got my stronghold flag unlocked

soulmilk likes this.
  14. Ragic

so each expansion they put out comes with a free campaign of around 6 missions. There have been something like 8 expansions so that's 48 missions. Each mission can be completed for a reward with each faction. There are 6 factions. The reward is 5000 gold. That's a LOT of gold considering packs cost 15000. The drop rate is pretty good as well. I already have multiple hero cards for several factions, a dozen premium (foil) cards, and around 20 special wildcards that are basically forge currency, and maybe half a dozen epic (their legendary) cards. cant complain. f2p is off the chain with this game. im playing all the factions and im diving into pvp early. cant say if the meta is stale or what not, but at this early stage im getting that addiction feeling. So whatever theyre doing they seem to be doing it right.

Monyx likes this.
  15. soulmilk

I don't know yet how much have changed since I first played, but this used to be something to be aware of.
    Playing against bots used to give a lot more gold than playing against players. The downside was that you wouldn't get more gold for redoing the missions. Though instead of thinking of things getting harder to earn after starting PVP, you should think of it as you get what you need to start playing fast in the beginning. There is a possibility they have increased the amount of gold you get from PVP, haven't checked yet.
    The other thing to take note of was that getting the uncommon cards you needed for your deck was super hard. This changed a bit when the wildcards got created, so it should be all good now.

16. Ragic

should also point out that the most expensive thing in their forge (they call it a wishing well) is around 28 wildcards. Accessibility is not an issue.

and once you have exhausted all the campaign gold yeah the f2p winds down. but by then you probably have a decent deck in each faction. also the pvp has quests and achievements which feel rewarding enough even though they all require wins. the playerbase seems to be large enough to match you with players of equal experience... so far.

soulmilk likes this.
  17. soulmilk

They use an ELO system which pairs you up players very close to your ELO rating.

18. Monyx

i did get paired with ppl quite a bit better than me a couple times but mostly it seems accurate. strangely one guy was like lvl 75 though and he stomped me. ive no idea why it paired me with him. ive got 3 decent decks now. altho one deck is missing two cards i need for it. just waiting for them to drop as they are uncommons and i dontwanna spend wildcards on uncommons. i save wcs for epics and rares.

19. soulmilk

There are players who lose on purpose to drop their ELO, then farms new players.

20. Monyx

sounds lame. what is the point of that?