minos deck

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by wasuy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. wasuy

wasuy The King of Potatoes

was wondering if anyone can help me with a minos deck after the update just came back from a long break

2. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

Gnomes likes this.
  3. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Here's my deck:
    https://poxbase.com/deck/Ch3Ch1ch=cjVcvHcz2CvGCh0clGCqs5zsys7Fs8fs3osOSAs8@S1lR3prA + boundless enthusiasm
    It's a bit different playstyle than MogaBait, but it's a good deck. I don't find missing anything and find sacrifice really usefull. One thing, I'm not top ranked player but I find stuff like dimension door really helpful x2 especially on lower level play where you might misposition it and need another or play on two fronts. I should probably add another champion in case of longer games where I sacrifice a lot. It should be probably stoker instead of one superiority.
    minos are hard to play because every match they need to play creatively and still keep other rules of playing.

4. IronStylus

My advice is to create the bg by yourself and see what you find using more. I play two renders with different builds, one with antagonize, one with duel because it let me deploy them when I need a cheap champ.

5. MogaBait

I agree with the above. The reason my deck works so well is that, while it of course contains the core runes needed to play Minos competitively, it is also adapted to my specific play style over the past two years that I have been playing the deck and consistently modifying it. Hence why I no longer run sacrifice and other questionable deck decisions I make. You can argue on the forums all day with regards to theoretical deck building about how so and so rune gives so and so major advantage but none of that matters to me if I simply don't play within situations that allow such an advantage to be implemented on a frequent enough basis.

My favorite wildcards to use when switching out runes in Minos have been:
    Spells: Boundless Enthusiasm, Secret Meeting, Masochism, Coward's Reach, Dark Pact, Sacrifice
    Equips: Widowmaker
    Relics: 2x Dimension Door instead of 1x (I generally don't like this because I think it builds bad habits in regards to crutching on dimension door maneuvers as your sole kill tactic. New mino players often have trouble seeing past dimension doors to the other tricks that Minos can use to get kills)

In regards to the Mino core champs I referenced earlier:
    2x Bmage (Most players kill this guy very inefficiently, if at all)
    2x Sentry (Primary utility rune)
    2x Culler (Primary Ranged Offensive Unit)
    2x Stoker (Passive cleanse + dispell is clutch)
    2x Thoof (Primary Melee Offensive Unit)
    1x Render

Everything else is preference.

Sirius likes this.
  6. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

How do you deal with Skeezick?

7. IronStylus

I find stoker really weak, so I used to run 1x but initiative makes you hit the tempo really well so I will consider adding one more. what upgrades do you run on units? I preffer:
    elusive 2 on sentry det 1
    multi 1 ready on culler
    block/weaken spells on mageknight
    fury with enrage/rend
    portalwalker with bloodseeker although I considered teleport as well
    th rest is pretty standard I run charge 3 wherever I can

8. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

If I could run more than 2x Stoker... I probably would. Maybe. Anyway, I like him because on many maps and in plenty of situations it can be "deploy a champion and also get to do damage/dispel/cleanse as if you casted a spell". He's my answer to Reverberating Blast sometimes, for example. And since I often end up trading champions on both sides, he can help fill the board vacuum in my favor, due to Initiative.

And even beyond that, he has great utility and decent damage output. I particularly enjoy doing 22 dmg with 6 AP (Flame Nova+ Basic Attack, because Flame Nova is not in the attack chain).

Also, he can stop heals. That, in Minotaurs, is priceless.

9. MogaBait

Just a quick update, but here is what I have been running for the past week:

https://poxbase.com/deck/Ch3Ch1cvHcz2cvGCh0ClGcvYCqs8dsys7FS2Hs8fS6lsbs3osOs8@r3prAr20

The empty slot is for boundless enthusiasm.

Boundless enthusiasm allows mageknight to function without dependency on doors or swap units (pounce and homing sense trigger portal dancer). Introducing this spell has shifted mageknight from a meh unit to one of my favorites to deploy. Generally got rid of spells that were either defensive (besides split personality) or expensive for a cheaper spellset that tries to take greater advantage of the offensive superiority minotaurs already have over most decks.

Thoughts?

10. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

How do you find thunderaxe?

11. MogaBait

Used to run him with Empowered Speed and Relocate Relic. In the early game I often use Sentry to place doors in strategically relevant locations, but Thunderaxe was good for moving the doors to more tactically relevant locations when needed. You could also throw axe, relocate it back, and then have another mino pick up the axe to throw it for a pseudo-range double-tap, though it is a pretty awkward maneuver. With the recent changes to relocate relic though, these use cases are too impractical.

Currently running him with Relic Guardian now and he serves more of a full-on beater role as opposed to the previous beater-utility hybrid. He can initiate with throw axe and use that for the relic guardian boost. It is helpful that the axe relic is resilient as well and can be picked up if it ever comes into danger of being destroyed. 7 spd is also optimal for dropping door to font hop and then double tap, using the door itself to proc relic guardian for a spot 40 dmg hit (and then finish off the champ using a cheap spell). Lastly, lightning as alt dmg is really nice in some match-ups since physical damage resistant champs otherwise destroy minos a la Vinny. Alt dmg and pseudorange allow thunderaxe to distinguish himself from the other generic physical melee beaters in minos (fury, insurgent) that are otherwise edged out by thunderhoof and render.

Gnomes and badgerale like this.