Monks

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Makorov, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

The Discipline abilities regarding monks are extremely boring, but monks as a theme have quite a bit of potential thanks to the sheer coolness of them.

So why not scrap the Discipline abilities, and build up on the Stances that have been introduced with the new expansion?

For example, certain monks believe in the harmony of all things in the world, including good and bad.

Maybe there could be an ability that encourages Monks to take a stance together, and by that I mean using their Stance abilities while adjacent to each other.

So if a one monk took a Range Stance and another took a Frost Stance, an Arctic Bolt could somehow occur. Or maybe Absolute Zero.

Of course there could also be soloist monks that are better when no friendlies are nearby.

2. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

What if there are X amount of Monks within X spaces in a stance they gain some bonus in stats or abillities?

3. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I was actually thinking something similar this weekend. Stances are way cooler than Disciplines, and I think it would be more fun to have some more stances abilities spread around in the theme.

Makorov likes this.
  4. Makorov

Definitely something along the lines of this, but I was thinking that maybe they would have to be immediately adjacent to each other. It could definitely bring out some extra flavor, such as a fighting "back to back" type of thing, and even make the theme stand out thanks to the uniqueness of the required proximity.

To add on to this,

There could be a monk that, when in formation, triggers a Nexus Aura. The positioned monks can lessen any AOE damage that tends to be the bane of close proximity themes.

Tweek516 likes this.
  5. Alakhami

then they should get unstoppable (i wonder how that would work with nohkan do)

Makorov likes this.
  6. Makorov

Ah that's a good point!
    So, spit balling ideas, maybe...

Stance: (Cool Name)

This ability can only be activated while adjacent to a friendly monk. All adjacent friendly monks gain Unstoppable. (So up to 4 champions gain Unstoppable.)

You can even have cool combos like

This ability can only be activated while adjacent to a friendly monk. This champion gains Tremor.

This ability can only be activated while adjacent to a friendly monk. This champion can activate "Southern Wave Discipline."

When the above two monks are adjacent, in other words epic-ly fighting side by side, they combine their skills to create a massive force that throws surrounding enemies back!
    The epic-ly epic power is further amplified by the sheer fact that a monk will always have to be present for "Southern Wave Discipline" to activate, which means it's secondary effect will also always trigger.

Of course, the monks can be themed to water, rock, sexiness, and whatever else.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  7. Alakhami

I think we should stick with a fantasy version rather than take an esoteric eastern religion.

Makorov likes this.
  8. Makorov

Yeah, that true
    It would be much better

EDIT:
    Updated previous post. Definitely better.

9. Alakhami

What if they went debuff but in a different direction? What if they had an abillity that would make their attacks debuff champs into being ponderous and lumbering (kinda have the idea that monks with the knowledge of weak spots in the bodies for their opponents exploit those weaknesses and weaken their enemies).

10. Makorov

Dude totally! That hadn't even crossed my mind. It'd be awesome to have monks like that.

Since there is a Northern Discipline spell and a Southern Discipline spell, maybe the monks could be split up into North, West, South, and East. And, for example, the Northern monks could be peaceful (at least as peaceful as you can be when involved in a war) and prefer to incapacitate their enemies?

EDIT: Better yet, if you like this general idea, we should aim for something slightly more abstract. Like maybe a "Heavenly" faction of monks that utilize Stars, Gravity, Darkness, Voids, etc. And an "Earthly" faction that utilizes Solidity, Life (Summons?), Air, etc.

Of course, this is getting into the lore more than anything but it's interesting to chat about. It'd be cool if we could come up with something more creative than what I just wrote down above though!

Assuming the close proximity requirement still applies (which it doesn't have to), were you thinking something along the lines of:

This ability can only be activated when adjacent to a friendly monk. This champion gains Ponderous Blows/Debilitate/Slow (just applies Slowed when a basic attack lands).

11. Bonice90

Bonice90 I need me some PIE!

so 2 attacks missed every turn? for free?

12. Alakhami

dunno, better test it

13. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Please do not change them again. Leave them be for now