My 2 cents on Mental Fatigue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProR2D2, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Hi I heard this was an issue so I want to give my 2cs.
    I agree the game should be less mentally draining, but I disagree with the strategy of removing percentages and divisions (SL and hunter changes).

My view of the problem is having to do any type of math operation while having another number memorized.

This will happen as long as the enemy champion has more than 0 defence or any type of damage reduction, as you have to substract defence WHILE memorizing the end dmg of another champion, in order to add them and see if it's enough dmg to destroy the champion. So even if all amplifications(10-25%), vulnerabilities(25%), evasive(20-50%), and reflexes(20-50%) all go into raw numbers, the game would only become 5% less mentally exhausting, because players will still have to memorize + do math operation at the same time, doesn't matter if it's a substraction or a division. It also creates a lot of balance problems.

My suggestion is to make a simulation of the attack, spell, or ability when we hover our mouse on top of the enemy and show us the end damage (ignoring hidden spells and block/dodge if possible), so we don't have to memorize numbers but only do additions. Thats the only solution I can think of to reduce mental exhaustion and it should not affect skill at all.

SL bonus and Hunter: X changes need be reverted for the sake of balance.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Apparently making a damage calculator is next to impossible with the current client cause it's such mom's spaghetti

source: I asked moles like a 1000 times

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yes, a damage calculator would be awesome, but difficult to implement.

It's not because of the code so much as the type of game it is.

The issue is that the game isn't about comparing one number to another. If you look at games which have calculators, the calculations are typically very simple number comparisons - ATK minus DEF kind of stuff.

In Pox, the interactions are far more complex and happens on multiple layers. In short, it's difficult to build any reliable calculator unless you functionally run the game a second time with parallel code. It's something we plan on investigating, but it is far more difficult than it seems.

4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Everyone has asked for a damage calculator.

5. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

There actually was a damage calculator I remember using about 6-7 years ago, no idea what happened to it and it was based around the old attack and defence. But it did work percentages so I'm sure it's possible someone could make an updated one.

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

It was more like 2008 iirc, it used the old attack/defense still (which got updated in 2009/2010 i think), where defense was the spaghetti of per three difference it negates one damage or whatever

7. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Why not put a damage calculator on the website as a separate download or will that not work either ?

8. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

In order for this to work all calculations would have to be made in real time before you actually committed. It's really resource heavy and if their code is as messy as everyone says it would bog down people's computers.

9. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

unless that calculator is integrated into the client and is automatic, not a lot of checking things and clicking/inputting your idea wont work. no one will have time to do all that per every attack x attacks per turn.

10. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

i think its a bad idea.