My Board Game Collection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 10, 2016.

1. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

I'd recommend Dead of Winter to anyone who enjoys a complex board game.

darklord48 likes this.
  2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I'm in!

3. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

My family used to have a 5 foot 8 foot American flag on the living room wall. It was glorious.

4. SireofSuns

You make me very proud. Also bunnies are awesome.

newsbuff likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Trust me, it's weird, but hey you have your freedom to have whatever religion you want, including flag worship.

6. SireofSuns

Game of Thrones. Seriously.

"Dutch people assume nobody in the world speaks Dutch." That's because even their geographical neighbors struggle to learn the language.

7. SireofSuns

Why DO so many Europeans think we "worship" our flag? Is Nationalism and Patriotism that dead in Europe?

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

1:this
    [​IMG]

2:No, sadly it's back.

3: hey look
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Tweek516 likes this.
  9. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I think the more history you have, the less you care about your country.

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Get this out of the board game discussion please.

super71 and Geressen like this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yes we should get back on topic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Qucas and Ohmin like this.
  12. SireofSuns

Sorry about that, it can be rather hard to resist sometimes.

Has anyone here heard about Ikusa? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/221/ikusa
    I much prefer it over Risk and many other strategy games.

(on a side note, the German Reicht (the other word gets censored, lol) salute thing was actually a really common salute before and during that time period, it only became associated with the **** party after their rise to power, it's very interesting to learn about all the neutral things that became associated with the German Reicht due to them twisting it).

newsbuff likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

true, it is actually based on what the renaisance artists thought romans saluted like
    [​IMG]

but seriously the flag thing is really weird.

that game looks interesting, I need to look at that.

SireofSuns likes this.
  14. SireofSuns

To
    Guys on left - "I want one I want one!"
    Guy in middle - "I'm leaving the war, who wants my old swords?"
    Girls - "Le sigh."

(My family had the flag because it was really old, more of an antique item than anything else. Flying the US flag in America is essentially just an easy way to show you care about the US, without having to shout it like a lunatic).

Geressen likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

oh so it was antique? that's fine then.

but if you are always flying the flag then when do you hang your flag out to show you are happy about stuff?
    this makes no sense.

16. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

nope, turns out it's really just another politics thread :D

Tweek516, Geressen and SireofSuns like this.
  17. SireofSuns

Oh it has little to do with being happy, more just a general "I care about my country a great deal and want good things for it." That's about as far as most Americans go in terms of nationalism, not anywhere near some of the radical people you might see in the news or online (the calm people aren't screaming about because, well, they're calm).
    The majority of how Americans feel about their country is actually very similar to how Europeans feel about theirs, but there is a big difference in expression of it.

Anyway...

Yeah, Ikusa. I still am not a huge fan of using dice for combat (I've never liked randomness, I usually prefer consistency), but I feel like the game is more ordered while also having lots of interesting strategy.
    I once built a "wall" of castles across the middle when I was surrounded. I used up all of the "castle resources" doing so, meaning no one else could build castles, and I was able to safely strike out whenever I pleased.
    Another time, when I was losing, I mustered the last pittance of forces I had, and marched to assassinate the last of another player's Daimyos. If you kill someone's last Daimyo, you get all their stuff. Turns out he owned half the board with his troops. The other players forfeited, I was the first player to do that within my group. It was a good day.

Qucas likes this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

randomness is essential otherwise there would be no action unless victory was sure.

also you misunderstand, if you are always flying the flag, you can never fly the flag for special occasions, because it would not be special.

19. SireofSuns

That's why I play the Game of Thrones board game though, there's very little chance in that, and there ends up being plenty of action going on. There's no dice involved, the only things you don't know are what other players will do, and what the "season" card will be.

That just when fly our extra BIG flags! :D

Geressen likes this.
  20. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

More Innovation?

I'd be up to play again this Friday, same time as before. Will probably be busy in the following weeks though.