My Nohkan Do Experiment

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by SkeletonKing, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I'm on a quest to figure out how to defeat Nohkan Do BGs.

Instead of just complaining about how overpowered I think they are, I've decided to take a different approach.

I built a Nohkan Do BG.

My goal is to see how other people defeat me, and use that to improve my own play against Nohkan Do.

This wasn't exactly a cheap quest, building a deck from a different faction from scratch. But I hope that seeing things from the opposite side will improve my enjoyment of the game in the long run. I'll be doing this experiment on an alt account named: Kaeyun

My goal with this deck was to make things as unkillable as possible, while simultaneously punishing the enemy for trying to attack my unkillable stuff. With that in mind, most of the champions have Counterstrike, or a Counterstrike-like effect. The Blizzard Cloak seems counterproductive at first glance, but is really just there in case I do decide to blow the AP on one of my champions, leaving them without their precious NKD for a turn or two.

Of course any suggestions you may have to improve this will be welcome.

[​IMG]

2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I applaud you for your initiativa, and look forward to hearing your results.

3. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

The deck looks horrible but I like your attitude. Good luck on your journey of NKD mastering.

4. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

You need more ranged, and honestly just less champs in general.

Also K'ento is really not that good. I would probably drop her entirely. I would drop 2 Kento and 2 Ferren Masters, add in 2 Lonx Marauders and Juya. I would also trade out the 2 mindstrikers for other ranged attckers. Unfortunately a lot of the good ST ranged attackers are ranged, so in order to get some threat an utility I would instead use 2 jakei elementalists.

As for your spells, that is a fair explanation of why you want to use blizzard cloak but that still does not justify running 2. Drop one for Ancient Implications. The spot majestic, backlast, and Purified are fantastic, particularly for NKD units. Also you should have spot cleanse so drop one of your ice storms for Cleansing Storm. If you follow my other suggestions you should also have room for Frigid Barrier or Summon Ant.

I also would trade out one of your Containment Units for a Ferren Hideout, and both of your greaves for a Keeneye Crown and a Snow Blind.

If you need any additional clarification about these suggestions please let me know.

5. Pedeguerra

Hey now, then its not a NKD bg, its a meta bg.
    I didnt say anything because OP is trying to prove NKD to be overpowered - let him try it with the NKD runes, otherwise the exercise is pointless.

6. doubtofbuddha

Changing the spells around will not make it a meta at the very least. And of course I am coming from the perspective of making the bg as good as possible while still staying NKD-focused.

7. Pedeguerra

Well, changing the spells is good, but then you are advising the guy to drop Kentos and add x2 Marauders (about to be nerfed, btw) and Juya, and advising to swap the Mindstrikers for something else.
    Anyways, I disgress. Point is: the more meta units are in there, the lesser impact the point he is trying to raise will make.

8. doubtofbuddha

Fair enough. And he can choose to ignore me as much as he likes.

I may try out my suggested bg myself though.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  9. SkeletonKing

I do appreciate the suggestions.
    I'll certainly take another look at my spells, relics, and equipment.

As far adding in more ranged, I agree that may be necessary in the long run to maximize the deck, but initially, I'm going to try to stick to just NKD and see how that goes for me.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Massive props for doing something like this. To get the best assessment, run the BG for a while and be willing to tinker with it, so you can see NKD in more than just a single context. Seriously though -- respect.

11. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I don't recall many sources of magic dmg with nkd perhaps you could use the adherant as it has attack magic. A fair number of the nkd champs are jakei so the snowkite messanger could be a nice equip for extra ap gen which would give more chances to attack or dodge attacks. A guide would help for the extra def and attack.

SkeletonKing likes this.
  12. SkeletonKing

You guys have been giving some very useful suggestions. Thank you!
    I'm getting everything you guys suggest, and I'll work it in, or try it out as time allows.
    My time is limited during the day, but I hope to get in some games in the evenings and during the weekend.

13. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

Kudos for the effort ;P

As a side note: I rarely, if ever, lose to NKD BGs when I'm not playing experimental BGs. Whenever someone claims that NKD is over the top, I'm "that guy" attempting to explain why NKD is actually a bit underpowered given the lack of control the owning player has over it. If you're looking for advice on how to deal with NKD BGs, I'd be happy to point out options in any faction or split-faction environment :)

KingJad and Goyo like this.
  14. SkeletonKing

15. Kharon

Kharon Devotee of the Blood Owl

Tbh I'd consider arrow throw a ranged attack in its own way

16. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Yeah, this has to be the funniest post I have read today.

Skele, best of luck. Looking forward to your conclusions~

17. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

18. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

I'd love to know how your experiment goes, keep us updated.

19. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

prepare your self, hammer strikes are coming. (snow blind)

20. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

gimmie like 10 minutes ill rebuild my meta nkd bg