Myx!

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by devrn, Apr 3, 2014.

1. devrn

devrn I need me some PIE!

So, I've been playing a lot of myx lately and the late game is probably one of the best in SL. There's some things that would be a nice addition to the theme like, more mechanics with the pupae, and un-gutting of adamant. Hopefully! More myx are introduce next expansion. Also, movn for myx president.

2. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Relic mechanics are a must for this theme's design space.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Adamant should be 1x1 to start, there is no place in a theme for 2 2x2 tanks.

4. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

The biggest problem with the Myx Adamant is that on release he was an exceptionally tanky bruiser who may have been a little too good. I say may because I can't recall what precisely he was prenerf and I'm not sure where about to go to get that information. Having said that I know the nerf hit both his tankiness, I believe his base def and hp(maybe?) were reduced, and his damage, loss of base dmg and something else(I think).

Depending on how everything else looks after this eventual rework he could stand to either regain his role as a beater or as a tank. Also making him a 1x1 would be quite helpful as the front lines of myx tend to be rather clogged up with units without another 2x2 unit getting involved.

If they wanted to retank-ify him they could bump his base def back up to 4, or possibly put it at 3 and give him Domain: Sand. Possibly give him reflection. Possibly Bulwark: Myx.

Or if they wanted to make him more of a beater again they could bump his base dmg up a bit and give him Domain: Sand. They could give him enrage or protective. Or they could go a slightly different route and give him Surge: Myx which may require a slight reduction in base dmg.

I've got some other thoughts on what I'd love to see for myx, but I'll better collect my thoughts and throw something together.

Oh yeah, and get rid of Adaptive: Sundered Lands on this guy. Despite the fact that SL is not a faction that gets a great deal out of adaptive I'm not opposed to the idea. I just feel that its rather foolish sticking it on a myx. Stick it on a draksar or a skeez and you might have something, but on a myx, it just seems like its something that's unnecessarily bloating his cost.

5. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I'm having a lot of trouble with this theme.

I am finding that I seriously lack ranged, relying almost entirely on sandsnipe since spitter's range sucks.

Also, since I can't afford slasher, I have no detection. Add to that the lack of shatter, and I am really finding the theme to be weak.

What are some tips for someone just starting myx? Drone signal, even with the refund is expensive. I just read that the idea is to consume it with a broodlord afterwards, though which I never thought of. Any other tricks?

6. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

I don't know if Myx really work as a standalone theme at the moment. They seem more like a module to insert in a broader based sand bg.

7. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

The only difference between a theme and a module is its size. Myx Matriarch and Sandsnipe x2 are a module in a sand bg. Adding Pupae, Broodlords, Slasher, Spitter, Drone Signal- I think that's a theme.

8. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I think he's saying that, while there are enough runes for a theme bg, it's not yet viable all together.

9. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

The keyword was really "standalone". If you want to make a myx only bg I don't think its going to work so great. Back when a lot of them had hidden sand, it was doable. Now the lack of ranged hurts. If you're going to take 6-8 myx champs, a relic, and a spell and dump it into a bg focused around sand. I'd call that a sand theme bg, since sand would be the overarching theme.

10. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

In my opinion, the concept of theme goes beyond having a battlegroup full of runes from the same race or class, themes have a style and a synergy direction, and if a rune that's not belonging to the theme helps with it, it's not your fault, and sometimes it's not even the designer's fault. Focusing on mechanics instead of on the look of sprites will make you better and happier.

11. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

brood bond as a theme mechanic is pretty binary, though. and really does not have a major impact on play style for a myx bg.

12. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Myx as a theme will always have heavy elements of sand involved simply by virtue of how the myx are built. With the existing myx there is a solid core of a bg, and while at this point it can't be exclusively myx, I'd hardly say its not a myx deck. If anything the typical myx deck is more of myx deck with a sand module.