Nameable Runes

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Kraska, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Kraska

Kraska Member

I had this idea upon reflecting on a way for players to pay for customizable features while avoiding "pay-to-play" and balance issues.

How about giving players the ability to name an individual rune (from the existing champion set). They wouldn't be able to change the features other than is usually possible, but I think some players would find some value and be willing to pay to get that customizability. Similarly, since these are already champions existing in the game, it would not affect the game balance.

For example, I could get a Dwarven Roughneck named Kraska for, let's say $25. It would show up as Kraska in the game.

You can sell these on a tiered basis. For example:
    1. Nameable rune (non-hero) - $25
    2. Nameable rune (hero) - $35, e.g. Talgar or Menalaus except with your name.
    3. Nameable rune (any name other than your username) - $40, e.g. Dwarven Tracker with the name of your girlfriend or any other name
    4. Nameable hero (any name other than your username) - $50
    I think this would be a great idea for the following reasons:
    1. Provide a level of customization for the players/individualize-improve the user experience
    2. Doesn't affect balance/gameplay issues
    3. Provide a revenue generator for DoG
    If you wanted to gauge potential interest in this, you can pre-sell the nameable rune (say with a small discount) and see how many orders you get. Then you can see if it's worth going into the effort to program this in.
    What do you guys think?

2. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

#1. Oh my god that's so damn expensive.
    #2. Only your own name? That sucks.
    #3. I do want nameable runes back. They used to have it way back when, I still have some named runes.
    #4. Oh my god that's SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. I'd be hesitant to buy it if it was $1.

SireofSuns and Leadrz like this.
  3. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

There used to be namable runes with tokens.

Also, 50$ to name one rune?
    Now i'm not afraid to drop maybe 10$ on pox a year or more. But that might be just me.

Watch this ~ relevant.

4. Kraska

Kraska Member

The price was just an example.

5. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Fair enough, sorry if i came across as rude.

6. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Well, my The Exile is named "Nozdormu" already...for free... so....50$ is a bit too much for me...$20 sounds fine

7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Can i release my own rune for $100

8. Kraska

Kraska Member

I was thinking about something like that, but I'm speculating that the coding required to do this would make this very difficult - e.g. $100 wouldn't really be profitable for them to do. Of course, that is just speculation from a non-programmer.

9. Intweener

Intweener I need me some PIE!

Hey Kraska,
    My Grimlic is still called LiegeWhitey, and nefari messenger "Whiteyswife" and my two lich kings are still called "Robbie" and "Bobbie"

They used to have this implemented wayyyback in the past when these runes were actually one of the most valuable ones in the game. But you can only see the name change yourself. It would not have to require real money to change it, like 1000 gold per rune would be enough to personalize really. Or you must become a real sucker for microtransactions :p

Your theory sounds nice, but unfortunately we are dealing with people, which makes reality probably a lot like this :
    Pox harbinger was renamed to "ballsdeep69"
    Magma Bunny was renamed to Bunny Lord
    Coragh twoheads to 2HEDZBTTATHN1!!11!!
    Deep elf masochist to $%#$^%%@$@# @#$#@$@#%. (you choose these are actual captures or curse words)

In the end it will only make the game ugly to view.

BUT! i do like your idea of customizing runes. I used to LOVE knowing how old my cards actually were, as it can make for an extra dimension of collecting. Just for showing off the time that you bought them was making it awesome, but I suppose that was too much uninteresting data back then. Now it's not really worth it anymore as the graphical update made your cards stack.

So.. how can you make yourself especially proud about a card you own?
    What if there will become a special level system for one or some main champions to let them have bonuses on their campaign?
    What if by every so many levels you unlock they receive IN CAMPAIGN extra abilities, or the ability to change their names? Or even their faction? :p
    This has a few extra benefits, like watching Poxnora on Twitch to see a fully customized buffed Magma Bunny finishing a shrine with a tremor.
    More publicity, more personlization.

10. Kraska

Kraska Member

I had forgotten about the ability to name runes way back when. I guess my thought process was from a business standpoint:
    1. People don't want to pay to get the best runes - e.g. "pay-to-win"
    2. People may want to pay for some personalization/customization
    3. Doing #2 so that it doesn't turn into #1 by being able to name/customize runes already existing
    4. Have to be able to do it from a programming standpoint so that it's worth doing - e.g. Paying $5 to do something that takes 1000 man-hours to code may not be worth the developers' time. However, paying $5 to do something that takes 5-10 hours to code but may be very popular may be worth their time. Note: I'm not a programmer, so I'm just talking conceptually.

I'll share something I've told some friends. I love poxnora. My kids are now old enough and they are starting to love poxnora - a little more fun talking about Pox with them instead of Pokemon - although I have to do that too at times. I guess was just brainstorming ideas to help DoG generate some revenue while enhancing the player experience - e.g. I want PoxNora to be profitable for them so they'll keep developing/expanding it. They (DoG) provide a lot of cool stuff that we can get/do for free, so just trying to see what people would actually pay for besides the new expansion packs. Of course, some of these things may be lurking in the minds of Gedden et al. already, but just trying to stoke the fires a little.

BTW, I have NO idea on the financial viability of PoxNora and I hope any greens who read this don't feel offended by me wanting to "help" them with ideas, just thinking a little on the business/marketing side of things (as that is both what I enjoy professionally and personally as well).

11. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Hmm, Pokemon reskins of runes sound amazing.

Kraska likes this.
  12. Kraska

Kraska Member

Talgar Ironfist, I choose you!

Pikachu warcry FTW!

13. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Deep Leviathan => Kyogre

14. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Na
    Namewise, maybe, but the rune's theme is more Groudon.
    How would Kyogre have Fire Eater and deal fire damage?

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this.

16. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

My bad, I was totally thinking of the Screaming Leviathan.

17. affrobong

affrobong Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of runes that are STILL NAMED.

They used to have Taunts too, I feel jip'd that I lost all of my taunts and names but yet didn't get anything given to me in return for everthing I spent in order to get those done.