Need help me with my first BG, Paladin BG

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Painite, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Painite

Painite New Member

2. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

Hi again dude! Seeing that nobody has posted yed, I'll try to help you the best I can.

Here's some BG example I found on the forums: http://www.poxbase.com/deck/CpPC8tCuachZcoJcj7cthC8Wchychuc7kc4-s5Xs4Bs1Ys7HsPsKrirYR5e1ue2OE3i

But anymways, I'll tell you what I think about a couple champions based on my little experience:

Vengeant Knight is a tough son of a ****, a friend of mine likes to play paladins with a single Ankh of Valdac, and the healings go crazy.

Crusader was pretty nerfed, but Trail: Hallowed Ground is awesome. A bit expensive, but I'd run at least 1.

Northern Cross Priestess is very flexible, you can go full aggro or more defensive like with her upgraded abilities.

Commander: Paladin is a must, and you have to find the champ you like the most. Sadly, the better champs with this abilities are the expensier one, but you can start with a Paladin Commander, for example.

Talgar and Euan are beast both, and I'd run Talgar's equipment for sure.

Attendant Squire is cheap on nora and gives a lot to the field.

Ironfist Minister is pretty cool too, with Battle Drum, nice range and Spellswallower/Favor.

There are more champions like Angel of Protection that are just awesome, but their prices are quite prohibitive.

I hope this helps. These probably aren't the best ideas, sorry if I'm being misleading. :p

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Disclaimer: Paladins are an expensive deck to build perfectly and a pricey deck to build at all. The budget paladin decks will still require a minimum of 2 Exo's in my opinion. To truly flesh out your paladin deck I'd need to first know your budget.
    First:
    The greatest thing in a "Paladin" deck is most assuredly Hallowed Ground synergy. This can be created 4 different ways.
    1. Consecration is most easily found on Euan Ironfist.
    2. Trail: Hallowed Ground is going to be available on the Crusader until you can obtain Angels of Protection.
    3. Holy Blade of Valdac is an equipment, but when deployed as a relic, creates an area of Hallowed Ground.
    4. Consecrate the Earth is a spell that makes a large area of Hallowed Ground.
    Note: Hallowed ground can only trigger once per turn (yes, not once per round) so if your opponent knocks you back into hallowed ground it will trigger on their turn. Otherwise, if you've already benefited from Hallowed Ground you can no longer gain ANY of its benefits for the rest of that turn.

Note: Hallowed ground works on Paladins, Priests and Shamans only. Druids are often similar-looking builds to Shamans, but remember they do not get to play.

So a paladin BG will likely have as many paladins as possible, but should be contained only of Paladins, Priests and Shamans if possible.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Second:
    The next best thing about a paladin deck is Commander: Paladin since it is a global effect, just like the Ironfist Standard, it should always be included.

The Ironfist Inquisitor is probabaly the easiest champion to get with this ability but my favorite is the Paladin Commander because of his access to Command: Dodge which is a very important ability (Since the most recent DOG revamp, anti-ranged abilities have been greatly reduced elevating the utility of this ability combined with the fact that Paladins have almost no anti range champions).

So, I mentioned earlier, that Paladin decks should seek to include Paladins, Priests and Shamans, but now you see why it is important to gravitate towards Paladins as a first priority, especially for your melee champions.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

After those two considerations are recognized then there is only left to fill the slots of your deck. I'll talk about some important champions in my opinion.

These are in rank order of importance:
    1. Euan Ironfist Due to Consecrate, he's the glue of the paladin deck. You can build a deck without him, but you'll need to include Cleanse the Earth spell and the utility and synergy of the deck will be diminished. My build: Battlemaster and Surge: Enemy. Alternate champion: None
    2. Attendant Squire: Two really great abilities in Invig rank 2 and Attendant. My build: Invig 2, Enhance Armor. Alernate Champion: Silverclan Engineer
    3. Paladin Commander: Access to Command: Paladin and Command: Dodge are very important. My build: Impassioned or Heal Self and Command:Dodge Alternate Champion: Ironfist Inquisitor
    4. Ironfist Minister: Battle Drum ability is the catalyst to all great IS powerplays, and he's a paladin! Resist Magic 3, Spell Swallower or Council: Spells, Alternate Champion: None
    As you can see, those are all hard-to-get-runes. There is really no replacement for those runes for the best bg and we'll need to look specifically at your BG to see how to fill the slots.

Luckily for new players, @Gedden completely ruined Inquisitor Magnus, Northern Cross Cardinal and Barbarian Exemplar so you don't have to try and obtain them, I guess.

Other great paladins that I like to use are:
    • Charger Knight (large champion, high HP, high dmg, decent survivability)
    • Angel of Protection: Expesive but beastly.
    • Angel of Mercy: Incredible Angel Synergy, great champion for its cost.
    • Bastion the Avenger: He's a steamroll champion, an immediate threat when place on the board. Your opponent will run away or prepare to kill this champion. I like knowing what my opponent will do.
    • Northern Cross Priestess: Very obtainable paladin ranged champion.
    • Dwarven Sergeant: Yes, he's not a paladin, but he's good enough for 1x include.
    • Talgar + Hammerheart Platemail: Very tough and efficient.
    • Vielwalker with Soften and Hex upgrades, she's great!
    • Crusader: Cheap, easy to obtain access to Trail: Hallowed Ground.
    • Priest of Valdac: Cheap global Heal.
    • Dwarven King: Great champ for any deck.
    • Northern Cross Militia: Several viable builds, he's a cool little champ.

Spells Relics and Equipment:

This is mostly going to depend on your preference but I'd prioritize 5 items:

1. Holy Blade of Valdac (mentioned earlier), it provides Hallowed Ground, Counters Healing and provides damage type change.
    2. Might of Ironfist: It's a great spell but especially in paladins. Firstly, it triggers Bastion's CA Devastate, secondly it's drawback is 10 Loss of Life, and here you are in a healing deck, lastly it's all around utility as an offensive spell because you can use it on an opponent for 10 Loss of Life as well, which comes in very handy.
    3. Blink: Your champions are hard to kill, often leading to nearly dead champions, some are also fairly expensive, this spell can reset them for which is situationally nice. It's also great when used on bad guys. The draw back on holding a blink spot is loss of life per turn, and here you are in a healing deck.
    4. Tactical Manual, increased synergy with this already awesome equipment through command: paladin.
    5. Hammer Strike: Not only does it do 10 dmg but it causes stun which reduced defense by 2. This is the spell that I have used more times than any other in spell/relic assisted kills.
    Lots of other great choices, those are just some of my favorites. Righteous Deflection is great as well and I usually include 1.

Also, for relics, you need a banner, but you also need 1 additional contesting relic. My choice is the Earthshaker, as it has damage, high HP and an uncleansable negative effect, but Nora Mine is also a good choice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014