Need help

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by Darkdrake6, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Darkdrake6

Darkdrake6 Well-Known Member

Been wanting to make a good FS BG but I'm not too accustomed to it so I have no idea what to do I've been thinking about crocs but as I said I'm clueless with this faction

2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Right now all you need to do is pick a theme and practice with it. A "good" BG only comes with a good player, and that takes some time. My only real advice is that you must be sure of what you want, so you don't waste gold/shards/credits on runes you don't need.

3. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Relative powerlevels for reference:

Psy - S
    Meta - A+
    Collective - A
    Jellies - B+
    Salamans - B+
    Snaps - B
    Mirefolk - B-
    Torton - C
    Poison - ??

All you need to get to top 20 atm is a functioning BG. Hence anything is viable so the best advice is play what you like whether that be strength wise or aesthetics etc.

Basically chuck in:
    2x PHS
    2x Marsh
    Reverb Blast
    Cleansing Mist
    Bubble
    Banner

And you're good to go.

4. Darkdrake6

Thanks I'll most likely use psy cause I have soulthiefs already and was planning to get sixul anyway lol

5. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

I strongly disagree with Mirefolk being rated B-.

I've just come back from a few years away so i'm only playing at ~1400 but they are performing well. They even held up against a 2000+ player using meta SL, which is a weak matchup.

Edit: Only 9/16 champs I run are mirefolk, so I guess it's more of a Semi-Aquatic BG, which is how i think they should be run

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  6. GoldTiger

All you need to get top 20 is a functioning BG as I said. If psy are S tier, meta in A tier, would make sense for the rest of the themes to go somewhere on a power level below those. For me Jellies, Snaps and Salamans are all better BGs so it makes sense for them to go above aquatics and so that's why I put it B-.

I don't rate them that highly because the other 3 themes listed can actually play their styles on all maps and in all situations roughly. Semis suffer on a lot of maps, especially ones that require split resources since water gen becomes twice as scarce, undertow becomes way less effective (only does 'half damage'), and bad draws with ranged units to contest fonts can lose you the game. This is opposite to their playstyle (imo), since they are to me a very rushy theme built on drowning/undertowing/slipwatering early to steamroll the rest of the game. I don't believe they can realistically expect to win in lategame vs most decent BGs. Also going back to before at least jellies can teleport around the font and regen every turn so its not that much of a problem having ranged units in a font.

Just my 2c and if they aren't B- they are B at best.

Also not sure how you're running 9/16 mirefolk. You're running 7 of the following:
    Death lily
    Elder Murkwurm
    Electric Eel
    Hydraxor
    Marsh Raptor
    Mocking Toad
    Screaming Leviathan.

Only ~3 of those are decent enough to run right? 1x hydraxor 2x raptor 2x murwurm 2x lily? Why not just run some pirahnids for dmg instead? I can only assume you thought the non-circadian mirefolks weren't actually mirefolk (swamp things, pirahnids, etc.) to get 9/16.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Regulate likes this.
  7. GoldTiger

I don't run sixul in my psy list. If they have a psy immune champion (mucker?) I'll just accept my loss. You will win the rest of the games.
    This list is run at ~2k and it's OP (though I haven't played in weeks/months):
    These are essentially all firks
    1x Behemoth
    1x Executor
    2x Infiltrator
    2x Mindshredders (not sure how necessary these are atm as they were tech choices so I could beat thered's illusions so probably drop these for whatever you want/actual good runes)
    2x Mindcaller
    Mindweaver (combo with knockback spell)
    1x Voidmage (pretty bad, mainly just cos it looks cool)
    1x Jellebrium Extispicer
    1x Neuromancer
    2x Mutant
    1x Bubble
    1x Cleansing Mist
    1x Erode
    1x Loot
    2x Marsh Song
    1x Psionic Impact
    2x Psy Blast
    1x Psy conundrum
    1x PHS
    1x Font of Restoration
    1x Banner
    1x Chillshard
    2x Firk Mask

Basically in the opening turns you try to get a psychic anguish unit in to sabotage psychic so you're generating 2 extra nora per turn (definitely adds up when you have 4x sabotage psychic units that are core to your game plan), get Firk Mutants in mid, Infiltrators to contest their fonts, look out for psionic impact turns, use psy blast to kill stuff and then just use your brain to play the rest of the BG/synergies.

Also try to win before your 2x mutant, 2x infiltrator, 2x mindcaller, 1x executor, 1x extispicer are dead because the other runes are mostly just fillers/situational cards and are relatively bad.

lifetaker likes this.
  8. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

You're right, i was a little non-sober when i wrote that! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have found late game ok though. Resurgence becomes more powerful, slipwater lets you close incredible distance, illuminate lets your focus fire a few targets really well - and you can neuter top the backswing with murkwater

Also they have the best cleanse in the game - i think it's one of the most overrated things to have because normally you have to give up a lot of tempo to play cstorm / herbal or whatever, often it's better to let things die and just play a champ. When your global cleanse comes bundled on a champ? Very powerful

9. Darkdrake6

i have over 3 mil in runes lol ill be fine if i make a mistake or two but i am not getting any new runes or forging them if i dont need them