Nefari Griefbearer

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by IronStylus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Gee, I know you're underdepths and care about whatever you care (damage). He's universal, has good range, that cleanse people are complaining about, doesn't lack damage as a support rune, isn't expensive in nora and his design is freaking awesome. Even Tiny used him in a demon bg. I would personally play him in any UD I could. So, please, USE HIM!
    And stop adding fireblast to non fire-amp decks.
    ps. he's also fun.

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

the Firk is wrong with fireblast?

IMAGIRL and SPiEkY like this.
  3. IronStylus

That superiority exists. If you don't amp fire enough it's just omg, aoe2 45 nora, come on

4. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

superiority needs a champ to anchor it though, fireblast goes anywhere. What if the area I need damaged is out of range and if I move my champ gets destroyed?

5. IronStylus

max range you can cast fireblast from a champion is 7 without sentry/flying. max range superiority deals damage is 6, so if you wanna snipe that far, go for it, but you wont harm everyone around by the way. Also if you wanna fireblast relics, go for it, but I'd rather not waste ap on finishing off 20hp relic and use demolish instead.

6. yuore

yuore The King of Potatoes

It is noteworthy that fireblast also damages the shrine, on several occasions I help much and if you play against another UD, superiority does not serve

TeaNinja, Tweek516, Fentum and 2 others like this.
  7. IronStylus

About finishing shrine:
    1. you can play around retribution, it deals much more damage
    2. I think supriority actually works on avatars (correct me if im wrong)
    3. you can cast mindstorm if im correct, which is not a wasted slot in an UD bg.
    About race clause: well if you play against fire eaters, fire blast wont help as well... so the negative clause is always there. Just compare this aoe2 to aoe6, you could fit like 12 fireblasts there.

8. IronStylus

I see no use for fireblast outside of 35+% amped fire decks.

9. yuore

A moment ago juge against a UD and could not use my superiority, fortunately I think he also had superiority x 2, I think I'll take one of each, in theory is very good superiority, better than blast, but sometimes not going to use and that a champion is saved with 1 hp for not having blast makes the difference, not if it works avatar

10. IronStylus

I like how you misspell everything in yuor posts, as well as your name.
    Things like missing 1 damage... they always happen. No matter how hard are you prepared. Ud has this thing, that if you leave a champion with low hp because of missing damage, it will piss you off and make you sad, because you will be punished hard for that. UD are usually melee and aggresive, so not killing a champ by 1-2 damage is really bad for you, especially when you dont have enough ap/nora/tinderbox/micro damage equip, anything that will finish off the champ, because of their low-resource play. I suggest playing superiority anyways, because it's hyper efficient nora/position/damage wise.
    As fireblast is a bit better in finishing off champs, then superiority is a game changing spell for exactly same nora cost. And dont worry about relics and shrine that much.

11. yuore

I do not understand the nature of your comment, use translator, I am Hispanic speaker , my nick is so , Style misspelled .
    I usually carry a superiority and a burst of fire, take the BG that have been shared in the other post , usually carry both , for use according to the situation , not always all runes are used, it is best to make the most , as to kill a champion with 1 hp that shares the same race with fire blast.

12. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Come on man, not cool. Losing an argument so resorting to insulting the other player? English clearly isn't his first language, but he is making the effort to walk his posts through a translator to try and talk to you and you mock him for it ??

You should feel bad man. Very bad. Sh*tty move. Agh and to think I liked you before.

13. IronStylus

I'm surprised you said that. i just thought it was funny! I didn't even think of mocking him. I just like how his name (which is in my eyes a joke) fits his language style. No reason to not like me unless you have literally no distance to things. Maybe I didn't word it properly (I just wanted to say that it looks pretty funny, seeing his name). I'm neither a native english speaker as well.

About Superiority - Fire blast: Yuore said that superiority is in theory better than fire blast. Here I come with help: if something is good on paper (epsecially when it comes to nora-damage efficiency ratio in damaging spells) Imo it's worth to try harder in games and play around that specific spell conditions, to make better use of nora. There is always room to improve your positioning skills, but your nora income doesn't depend on your skill. I suggest using spells that are more efficient and work in extreme situations.
    If I played UD I would play 2x superiority + 1 demolish, instead of 2 fire blasts, because:
    - you will (most of the time) hit many more champions with superiority than with fire blast
    - you can hit multiple relics with demolish, destroying them no matter how much hp they have and its aoe3, which is a font size
    These spells will be more useful in extreme situations and be better the more extreme situation it is: the more relics in a font (relic spam bgs), the more champions opponent has (summon spam), while working not much better in scenarios fire blast would be good.

Using things that work in extreme situations will increase your win-rate, because:
    -if you are playing against relic spam (like double mason spire+some cheese mechanics, grim well and such), you will come with better results if you have tools to deal with those
    -if your opponent spams summons and has like two times more champions than you, you will need a bigger aoe than aoe2 to deal with them.

Well it's really hard to explain things like these on forums, because there is always a border, where fire blast is better than superiority and vice-versa, but the border favors superiority and demolish.
    I hope you can understand everything. (unfortunately I don't speak spanish, but I'd really like to learn some day)

14. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Okay well then I deeply apologise stylus, seems as though I am in the wrong misinterpreting your post.

15. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I like your thinking on this, and it's very well articulated. I'm not sure though about the benefit of being better in 'extreme situations' vs utility across many general situations. E.g. most often, I need to take out a single relic so Seism on the Siege Monger is a more regularly efficient rune than Demolish.

I haven't run Demolish since Seism came out and I am pretty sure that My BG is In a better place.

In a general sense, it's impossible to counter everything, so taking runes that deal with extremes doesn't work so well for me. I prefer to go strong on how I want to win, usually tooled up Ireguards, and have some utility counters. E.g. Siege Monger, Bok Warden. That said, I never leave home without Shatter as spot equip removal is crucial. Which kinda counters my whole argument!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    yuore likes this.
  16. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Superiority is typically better but that doesn't mean that it will always be better for your deck. Amplification is not the only fire synergy around, there are lots of synergetic runes that might make it into your goodstuff deck and if you've got enough of them it becomes worth it to run fireblast:

1)Orb of protection: not the autoinclude it was, especially with seism everywhere but if you an screen it with something else it can still be a viable include.
    2)Minotaur stoker: turning your AoE into a spot dispel/cleanse can be useful.
    3)Tinderbox/fire acolytes: ruby crawler and demonlich are viable in a lot of UD decks, and tinderbox is a nice cheap perserverence counter/pocket damage.

And then there's the reality of running a mixed meta deck: sometimes you've got goblins and demons and minotaurs and beasts in the same deck and superiority can create some positioning headaches. Fireblast isn't a top UD spell by a long shot but it isn't a terrible include either. If your deck features a lot of races and you've got 4 or more slots dedicated to the above, fireblast could put in a lot of work.

17. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I say run Pillars of Flame. It deals damage on cast and Chars as well. Also it can in a sense cages champions in because opponents will think twice before moving into the pillars. The AOE is a lil weird to work with at first. The spell is also very effective against 2x2 champions.

18. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

This thread's title is about Nefari Griefbearer.

So I just want to say I miss this rune when I don't have it. Dispel feels necessary these days with what other factions bring to the table. And it seems like most meta decks have at least a couple ways to produce summons, so I really appreciate Shatter Summons. Not to mention Relieve, which is the best cleanse UD will probably ever get.

And 1-3 range makes Griefbearer pretty great.

19. IronStylus

two of those guys at the board can cleanse each other (if you stun one, the other can relieve) and can 2/3th of the turns use nexus aura. I know you overkill with double dispel, but the duet isn't bad against some weird construct stuff or something. Pretty fun to play too. It isn't as cheesy as boundless + grant action potion rush and similar, but it's not that gay.