Never play on PS4/PS3/Ps5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anotherblackman, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's really just a markup language which is why it's -"XML."

2. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

Scripting in a markup language to design new abilities? That's wild... can you post a source code for something? Lol... pretty please? I genuinely want to know what that would look like.

Tbh the pun "PoXML" is a win in and of itself.

Also, tbh pox should just enter the crypto space and make runes tied to NFT / blockchain tech. If you want to talk about how to make "easy" money lol...

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Let me explain a little bit.

So a markup language isn't... code. It can't DO anything. It tells a program what to do.

So for example, it might say:

<addability name="Dodge" rank="1" target="%TARGET">

This says to add the ability Dodge, at rank 1, to the target of this effect.

The code then parses this, and says, "Alright, I know what code I need to run for addability, so I will do that, now I need the parameters, ok, you provided the correct parameters, so I can run this code."

So, in theory, a different game code, could understand addability or %TARGET differently and do something else.

This is similar to HTML, which is also an "ML" and is a markup language. It, too, does nothing on its own - instead, it gets parsed by browsers - and while it's more universal these days, in the past people would have to make websites and test them on different browsers because each of them handled some things slightly differently.

Even today there are differences:

upload_2021-5-5_19-13-20.png

In this case, it's mostly visual, but you can see how the same markup can result in things that are quite different to the end user.

~

An analogy would be like ordering a mac and cheese. The order is the markup code. You can take this order to various restaurants and they will do different things with that instruction. The chef, in this analogy, is the "code" and he reads the markup of "mac and cheese" and it's him that actually decides what that means.

Bushido and PoxBot like this.
  4. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

Ah right, so you aren't actually programming new ability functionality using poxml.... that would have been trippy lol. But you can edit rune and their abilities using poxml.

I had to parse an xml tree for SSIS package variables recently.... this piqued my interest.

But I guess you could actually do a lot just knowing poxml I'd imagine. You could probably add in new abilities so long as they were based on some existing game mechanic etc. For example I'd imagine you might be able to make an ability called poop bomb, based on disease breath, with aoe 4 instead of 3, and 90% damage. But something new like invoke might have needed you to extend the poxml framework.... well, thanks, that's extremely insightful.