New online competetive turn-based tactical customizable strategy game!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 14, 2014.

1. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

@Sokolov: Have you ever considered placing Nora Globes on maps for balancing them, just like they have those Mana Globes in Duelyst?

2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

How is that different from fonts? Both reward you with Nora for moving to certain parts of the map.

3. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Difference is that the Nora is gained only once, not every turn. It might be a good tool to balance first player advantage or to provide new and interesting methods to add map diversity without much coding or even creating new maps.

badgerale likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is a cool idea.

That said pre-placing stuff on maps outside of campaigns isn't currently supported :(

IMAGIRL, iPox and EnigmaXIII like this.
  5. Sokolov

There's certainly functionality to CREATE a globe, but the difference is whether MAPS have the ability to invoke these things OUTSIDE of players.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

would it be easier if the effects triggered off of team1 and team2?

7. Sokolov

When campaigns do stuff, it's because the AI is taking up control of one "player/team" and is doing actions as a member of that team.

It's why I said my original statement the way I did: "That said pre-placing stuff on maps outside of campaigns isn't currently supported."

If I create a unit via cheat commands, it's not much different than the AI doing it in a campaign, and it will actually take nora from me to do so - and I can't actually create a unit for the other player.

Basically, in order to do this on a PvP game, we'd either change the system so that maps can run a small "setup" script or to extend the map setup parameters to include being able to pre-deploy units (for either player) and also place nora globes.

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Would a setup script also allow champions not owned by either player?

I'm thinking non-player characters that protect areas of the map.

Woffleet likes this.
  9. Sokolov

No, there's no such thing as neutral in PoxNora's core rules.

10. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Maybe with a Shrine Ability (which is removed after use) that generates Nora Globes on predetermined and/or random spots on the map?
    Could a script automatically execute such an ability for the players?

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

is it possible to create another player that's strictly AI owned and run? i'm assuming no

12. Sokolov

Theoretically possible, but I don't think there's a way to tell the ability what map you are on, or where to spawn something specifically without a frame of reference.

So it could say, "Spawn a nora globe in a random space exactly 3 spaces away from the shrine" but there'd be no way to control exactly which tile it was.

13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it couldn't say a random space with a caveat that excluded impassable or chasm spaces?

i mean, i've seen single player- i guess if it were that simple things wouldn't deploy on chasm over and over

?

14. Ragic

But if you're spawning the Nora globe for 'balance reasons' why not just give that player the Nora at the start? I don't see how Nora globes balance anything unless they are meant for a specific player in which case you can just give him the Nora at the start or on specific turns.

15. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Absolutely true. You only offer something on the map if the possibility of both players getting it is real, and this is one thing that I don't really like in Duelyst, you're too draw dependent. If you get good draws you can get all 3 mana balls, if it's not your day you deploy nothing for 2 turns and lose the game. But then again, you can pick a card that wipes the whole board and win. Too RNG focused to my taste.

16. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

There is a difference: In your scenario, you gain one resource for free (Nora); in the proposed scenario, you use one resource to gain another (AP to gain AP).
    This may have several consequences: If you usually start with k Nora, and the Globe gives you l extra Nora, in your scenario a player could start the game with deploying Champions costing k+l Nora. In the proposed scenario, a player could only deploy for k Nora and could only use the +l extra Nora for other purposes.

It could still be a good tool if done right. The inherent difference in Pox Nora is the fact that Champions do not cost multiples of each other, like the Minions in Duelyst do.

17. Ragic

By requiring ap you are rewarding map position which fonts already do.

As to the mechanics, they can make maps with different font layouts. So make a font type that only rewards Nora once and does not have the deployment functionality. Then make new maps for each kind of 'Nora font' pattern you want.

Considering all the different font zone effects there are it seems there is some design space there. Couldn't you program fonts to 'simulate' all kinds of map objects?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

To those who still play, or that have accounts. If you login you'll receive a free gift box just for logging in during the Frostfire Festival. Today - ?

DarkJello likes this.
  19. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

PSA for anyone who still plays Duelyst.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the small text. Had to screenshot it from my email.

20. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!