New Video: Q&A with Gedden 21/11/14

Discussion in 'Videos' started by MentalMoles, Nov 21, 2014.

1. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Thanks to all who watched the latest Q&A and those who provided the questions for it!

Please be sure to post all feedback, good and bad!

Transcript: (Remember these are not exact comments, its summarized and shortened)

Top issues right now
    1. Twitch: Some players have wondered why people aren't punished more heavily for "trolling" - Senshu: We want to have a more open forum rather than squashing everybody, Gedden adds we are not here to police the internet - we are a community. Senshu also explains that mods have very limited controls and everything they do is monitored.
    2. From xCovah: Any update on hiring a new programmer and do you plan on hiring a Lead Dev? Yes! We had issues finding one person with all the skills we wanted, so we're upgrading our plans to hire one programmer to do features and one focused on gameplay. We are not happy with the speed things have been moving ourselves. Programmer used to play pox some time ago, gameplay guy is a current Pox player.
    3. From Many people: When should we expect Ronin to arrive? Most of Ronin is 99% completed but I need the new devs in to complete the last few things as myself and cortices are doing way too many things at once. Gedden also hints at a major way to bring in new players that they are secretly working on. After Ronin we will have regular expansions every 3-4 months with a mid term release.
    4. From Many people: Tokens causing a barrier stopping people play? Yes we are definitely going to do something with tokens - this is likely to happen with the expansion, we are just deciding the best way to do it. May add token drops as a player reward for PvP games.
    5. From tehnicianu: Any real plans to encourage PvP playing? Once I get these new programmers in, we will be having regular expansions and patches and I see that helping the problem a lot
    6. Twitch: Do you plan to do a beta with the council for Ronin? No we tried this before and it didn't go very well, things are tested internally.
    7. From xCovah: Any update on balancing the maps? Yes! PoxZuo is working on a new map for the expansion and also on re-doing more of the current maps. Reason this is such a major operation is because of the way things work under the hood. In the Octopi days I had a system which made it easy to update maps for PvP and AI, under SoE this system was corrupted and now maps are out of sync - to update map layouts at the moment it has to be done completely manually in 4-5 locations this is also why the AI deploys champs in the chasm. We are going to fix back to the original system.
    8. Follow up: Is this the same issue causing old Auxillium to be stuck in ranked play? Yes - thats why Auxillium wasn't removed yet, we're going to fix this and remove Auxillium at the expansion.
    9. From hfok: Could we have an idea about your current priority list? Contracts finalized for the new devs and the Expansion. We have a future features doc and want to add features with expansions.
    10. From SPiEkY: Any update on turn timers being increased? (extra new players from steam) This completely slipped through the cracks, but I will do something on this for the expansion
    11. From xezno: When will legendaries become forgable? Can we expect better forge rates soon? Yes this will go live for the expansion, we may even make tokens forgable.
    Misc
    1. From Leadrz: Any chance we can get a regular dev blog so we have constant communication? The reason we haven't done this so far is because we don't have enough time - this is why we try to do the Q&A's as often as possible (Moles mentions sok's crate) That might be worth considering for the design focused guy.
    2. From Niurs: Why is it needed to rub my Win/Lose ratio into my face after every skirmish or training game? Pox is a competitive game (Moles asks if possible to land on different end game screen for PvE games) Yes this is a good idea but low priority.
    3. From Chickenpox2: Can you explain why you chose to balance on the champions rather than do patch for steam? and how do you plan to get back the people who left because they felt that the game was to many bugs? I was frustrated so I did a balance patch - I should have rolled it in with the expansion but I couldn't let you guys wait any longer! New players that left because of a bug, the truth is they are gone, but we are addressing NUX, accessibility and more player acquisition. People that actually play Pox usually check back at expansion, so we will try to win them back at the expansion
    4. From Moles1909: People love having stats at their disposal - Do you agree PoxNora needs to have better match history and stats available on our profiles? And will you allow us to lookup head to head records? Yeah! a lot of this is already on our list for the same time we re-do the ranking system - we are also looking to re-do the end of game stats screen eventually. Cortices is also working on making more stats available as RSS feeds and we are hoping to make Pox a platform service for websites to hook into rather than just using the xml.
    5. From hfok: how did you, or the team back then, came up with these 8 factions, what was the back story of them? How were they suppose to be unique to each other? Originally only 4 factions planned but eventually became 8, UD was supposed to be melee beaters, FW was meant to be death by attrition, FS was meant to be high mobility while KF was meant to be high range glass cannon, IS meant to be about high defence and SL based on regeneration and middle eastern theme (although this was never really fleshed out). ST and SP added later, ST are evolved elves that have been up in mountains for a long time, SP was originally going to be bugs called Voil and Moga but we didn't like it as we didn't think players could identify with bugs, so we changed to G'hern and Moga
    6. From IMAGIRL: Do you have any plans to allow - in the future- others to invest in Poxnora as a business venture? Yes, anybody looking to invest should send me an E-Mail [email protected]
    Intentions
    1. From Entrepidus: Are Mythical and Unique (or Limit: 1) ever coming back for the majority of named champions? I'm going to leave this for now and tackle it at the expansion after Ronin
    2. From xCovah: What is your opinion on re-releasing Harbingers as Legendary reskins? NO! Never going to happen - Doombringers were supposed to be a more available Harb originally - although this never really happened. May be willing to do something on Doombringers in the future
    3. Moles: Will pox go to any conventions? Yes! We have signed up and paid to be at a few already, we may release something for people that come such as an LE card code. We believe LE should really be LE.
    4. From Ragic: When will Drums of War be updated or fixed? It kills me that its not been done already... Once the expansion is done this will be a priority. I want to remake drums of war with a better - automated system. It should be visible, your contribution and possible rewards (Moles mentions LoL's end of season rewards model) Like their model may do something similar.
    Extras
    1. From Kampel: Do you have any new art you are able to leak? Senshu will be posting a rune preview on Tuesday next week with some unseen artwork
    2. From OriginalG1: Can we get some teasers from Ronin? Gedden mentions a new Firk, Senshu mentions the Cyclops we have seen previously. Gedden considers showing a Vothsair, but ends up saying he's going to get Senshu to preview a new Yeti instead. Gedden also tells Senshu to preview another rune a week later down the line
    3. From Kalasle: What are the team's favorite factions? Why? Senshu: I like them all, but I've been playing a lot of dragons and previously played a lot of trees. Gedden: PoxZuo likes playing split decks such as SP/FW and KF. Gedden: I don't want to reveal mine.
    4. Twitch Chat: What are the plans for the Lore? We have a story arc and already have things planned for next two expansions, we want to explain about pre-octopi stuff and the original gods, an expansion is always going to be based on the lore - when you think of Ronin I want you to know what happened.
    5. Twitch Chat: Do you already have ideas for Firk/Jellyfish updates? Firk yes, Jelly not yet. But we want to expand on themes in general during balance patches.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Anima26, JellyBerry, Gnomes and 3 others like this.
  2. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

yo thanks moles

3. charlieriot

charlieriot I need me some PIE!

I got two questions. 1. Are Gedden and Moles related? father and son perhaps 2. Does Moles really love the D?

Anima26 likes this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

What makes you say that?

Anima26 likes this.
  5. charlieriot

charlieriot I need me some PIE!

in the video on the left side of the screen moleslovestheD kept popping up

Anima26 likes this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

What rascal could possibly create an account with such a blasphemous name?!

Sunutsu, Anima26, Axeraiser and 3 others like this.
  7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I was dying with the whole "senshumybabycallme" thing.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

ok, ill ask it in this thread.

moles: how is it that you had just purchased a box but found yourself without enough tokens to upgrade moog?

either way, I think removing cp or devaluing tokens are dead ends. he isn't going to do it. rather we should push for less of a power differential between default upgrades and other upgrade configurations. and the upgrades should never EVER be required to make a champ 'runnable' cost wise. it should only be an optional build, not a required build.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Another rascal, they must have planned this all along!

10. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

And they went home heart broken because I never called.

Qucas, MentalMoles and SaintKiwi like this.
  11. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Finished watching another one of these. Are these always going to be 2hours long? WOW what a marathon. Anyway I like this video MUCH more than the previous (no offense Senshu). It painted a brighter picture for pox however that seems to mainly be because of the programmer vs 2 new programmer issue. Anyway looking forward to the new art and if some how a K'thir Forest preview got posted instead, I dont think anyone would mind ;)

SaintKiwi and Kampel like this.
  12. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Good Q&A, good stuff to come.

I didnt understand the art part, are you going to show it somewhere here on the forums?

Also, Hardy ♥

13. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

thats ice cold man,after all the nudes he sent u

14. MentalMoles

I think Senshu will show a preview in a thread around tuesday

Kampel likes this.
  15. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

ty

16. MentalMoles

Transcript: (Remember these are not exact comments, its summarized and shortened)

Top issues right now
    1. Twitch: Some players have wondered why people aren't punished more heavily for "trolling" - Senshu: We want to have a more open forum rather than squashing everybody, Gedden adds we are not here to police the internet - we are a community. Senshu also explains that mods have very limited controls and everything they do is monitored.
    2. From xCovah: Any update on hiring a new programmer and do you plan on hiring a Lead Dev? Yes! We had issues finding one person with all the skills we wanted, so we're upgrading our plans to hire one programmer to do features and one focused on gameplay. We are not happy with the speed things have been moving ourselves. Programmer used to play pox some time ago, gameplay guy is a current Pox player.
    3. From Many people: When should we expect Ronin to arrive? Most of Ronin is 99% completed but I need the new devs in to complete the last few things as myself and cortices are doing way too many things at once. Gedden also hints at a major way to bring in new players that they are secretly working on. After Ronin we will have regular expansions every 3-4 months with a mid term release.
    4. From Many people: Tokens causing a barrier stopping people play? Yes we are definitely going to do something with tokens - this is likely to happen with the expansion, we are just deciding the best way to do it. May add token drops as a player reward for PvP games.
    5. From tehnicianu: Any real plans to encourage PvP playing? Once I get these new programmers in, we will be having regular expansions and patches and I see that helping the problem a lot
    6. Twitch: Do you plan to do a beta with the council for Ronin? No we tried this before and it didn't go very well, things are tested internally.
    7. From xCovah: Any update on balancing the maps? Yes! PoxZuo is working on a new map for the expansion and also on re-doing more of the current maps. Reason this is such a major operation is because of the way things work under the hood. In the Octopi days I had a system which made it easy to update maps for PvP and AI, under SoE this system was corrupted and now maps are out of sync - to update map layouts at the moment it has to be done completely manually in 4-5 locations this is also why the AI deploys champs in the chasm. We are going to fix back to the original system.
    8. Follow up: Is this the same issue causing old Auxillium to be stuck in ranked play? Yes - thats why Auxillium wasn't removed yet, we're going to fix this and remove Auxillium at the expansion.
    9. From hfok: Could we have an idea about your current priority list? Contracts finalized for the new devs and the Expansion. We have a future features doc and want to add features with expansions.
    10. From SPiEkY: Any update on turn timers being increased? (extra new players from steam) This completely slipped through the cracks, but I will do something on this for the expansion
    11. From xezno: When will legendaries become forgable? Can we expect better forge rates soon? Yes this will go live for the expansion, we may even make tokens forgable.
    Misc
    1. From Leadrz: Any chance we can get a regular dev blog so we have constant communication? The reason we haven't done this so far is because we don't have enough time - this is why we try to do the Q&A's as often as possible (Moles mentions sok's crate) That might be worth considering for the design focused guy.
    2. From Niurs: Why is it needed to rub my Win/Lose ratio into my face after every skirmish or training game? Pox is a competitive game (Moles asks if possible to land on different end game screen for PvE games) Yes this is a good idea but low priority.
    3. From Chickenpox2: Can you explain why you chose to balance on the champions rather than do patch for steam? and how do you plan to get back the people who left because they felt that the game was to many bugs? I was frustrated so I did a balance patch - I should have rolled it in with the expansion but I couldn't let you guys wait any longer! New players that left because of a bug, the truth is they are gone, but we are addressing NUX, accessibility and more player acquisition. People that actually play Pox usually check back at expansion, so we will try to win them back at the expansion
    4. From Moles1909: People love having stats at their disposal - Do you agree PoxNora needs to have better match history and stats available on our profiles? And will you allow us to lookup head to head records? Yeah! a lot of this is already on our list for the same time we re-do the ranking system - we are also looking to re-do the end of game stats screen eventually. Cortices is also working on making more stats available as RSS feeds and we are hoping to make Pox a platform service for websites to hook into rather than just using the xml.
    5. From hfok: how did you, or the team back then, came up with these 8 factions, what was the back story of them? How were they suppose to be unique to each other? Originally only 4 factions planned but eventually became 8, UD was supposed to be melee beaters, FW was meant to be death by attrition, FS was meant to be high mobility while KF was meant to be high range glass cannon, IS meant to be about high defence and SL based on regeneration and middle eastern theme (although this was never really fleshed out). ST and SP added later, ST are evolved elves that have been up in mountains for a long time, SP was originally going to be bugs called Voil and Moga but we didn't like it as we didn't think players could identify with bugs, so we changed to G'hern and Moga
    6. From IMAGIRL: Do you have any plans to allow - in the future- others to invest in Poxnora as a business venture? Yes, anybody looking to invest should send me an E-Mail [email protected]
    Intentions
    1. From Entrepidus: Are Mythical and Unique (or Limit: 1) ever coming back for the majority of named champions? I'm going to leave this for now and tackle it at the expansion after Ronin
    2. From xCovah: What is your opinion on re-releasing Harbingers as Legendary reskins? NO! Never going to happen - Doombringers were supposed to be a more available Harb originally - although this never really happened. May be willing to do something on Doombringers in the future
    3. Moles: Will pox go to any conventions? Yes! We have signed up and paid to be at a few already, we may release something for people that come such as an LE card code. We believe LE should really be LE.
    4. From Ragic: When will Drums of War be updated or fixed? It kills me that its not been done already... Once the expansion is done this will be a priority. I want to remake drums of war with a better - automated system. It should be visible, your contribution and possible rewards (Moles mentions LoL's end of season rewards model) Like their model may do something similar.
    Extras
    1. From Kampel: Do you have any new art you are able to leak? Senshu will be posting a rune preview on Tuesday next week with some unseen artwork
    2. From OriginalG1: Can we get some teasers from Ronin? Gedden mentions a new Firk, Senshu mentions the Cyclops we have seen previously. Gedden considers showing a Vothsair, but ends up saying he's going to get Senshu to preview a new Yeti instead. Gedden also tells Senshu to preview another rune a week later down the line
    3. From Kalasle: What are the team's favorite factions? Why? Senshu: I like them all, but I've been playing a lot of dragons and previously played a lot of trees. Gedden: PoxZuo likes playing split decks such as SP/FW and KF. Gedden: I don't want to reveal mine.
    4. Twitch Chat: What are the plans for the Lore? We have a story arc and already have things planned for next two expansions, we want to explain about pre-octopi stuff and the original gods, an expansion is always going to be based on the lore - when you think of Ronin I want you to know what happened.
    5. Twitch Chat: Do you already have ideas for Firk/Jellyfish updates? Firk yes, Jelly not yet. But we want to expand on themes in general during balance patches.

Netherzen, Goyo and Kampel like this.
  17. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

if he does what he says then we just might have a chance

Anima26, Goyo and MentalMoles like this.
  18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Muahaha, it's IS!

SaintKiwi likes this.
  19. HardyGames32

HardyGames32 I need me some PIE!

<3 :*

Kampel likes this.
  20. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

TY for the Q&A (Y)

I have hope again...