Non-Client Non-Balance Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

I dont think remaking the game is the best option but do you guys even have a Facebook page for advertising? Sell the game as highly evolved chess. You could add stuff to it like the latest video someone has recorded between Ballballer and Tinydragon etc... Spieky is a good commentator although if you want something with lots of comedy, upload an Iabjamacca video... On the facebook page you can advertise the factions with difficulty ratings etc... I want the Stormbunny to be SPs mascot.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  2. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I'd be willing to stream, but I only have brief experience with OBS. Is that still a standard, or is there something more ussr friendly for free/ extremely cheap?

There really aren't enough pro videos.

3. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

too much to reply too, but I appreciate the time

but it's not really misinformation, i never doubted their were reason for ending things nor do I believe your responsible for either the decisions to make these changes nor do you have the ability to do anything about them when they are made, I also stated there could of been many reasons and I have no idea what to blame even if i wanted to. I may of mispoke saying devs here when I should of said administration i suppose

I was simply stating the "reasons" to play are gone, for example the golden heroes as you mentioned first, the reason given for why they are gone makes sense i'd even take it a step farther and say half of the golden heroes aren't even run now anyway, that said the fact that they are gone brings two questions to mind, first why not move on to something else to continue the goal players had for ranked pvp, you have the bg data so you could see some of the most popular runes being played and easily find stuff players want, and make them the new gold rune, and second why was nothing put in to replace it? some other high tier pvp goal for players to aim for.

of course that's all decisions made a very long time ago, as i said I have no idea what could be done now given the state of the game as it is, I only know what i'd due differently if pox was made from scratch today, which isn't at all feasible now.

I normally wouldn't even attempt suggestions on pox as there is literally just too little I know about how you guys do things behind the scenes but what ever i'll spit some out i guess.

faction wars - drums of war light. just run an equation that tracks the wins of a user with the faction the players with the most gets a gold reskin of the current mid term. tradeable of course

hall of fame - take the battles master at the end of each week/month/term ( even if it's just tiny 100 times over) and put their names on the list for that month.

titles - so pox is an elitist game, sorry to break it to anyone who didn't know, as such you should be trying to do everything in your power to make high rank players seem better but not actually be better in any realistic way. coloured names were a simple way of saying...this guy is better then you, you want to be this guys so win a couple games and you can have a blue name too, don't stop paying or you may lose that rank and go back to a white name. so play fan fare when they log on, have a blue leprechaun come out an slap anyone that loses to them i don't really care but something needs to be done here.

I had always heard tournaments had ended because of gambling issues, assuming based on what you said that is not the case i'm surprised they haven't returned, it makes sense players could abuse them because they were free tournaments, but tournaments run with a purpose or with a cost prevent that. an example of tournament with a cost is simple 8 players pay 5 buckets to enter the tournament and at the end get a prize worth 20 to the winner.

example of a tournament with a purpose top players ( say top 10 ) of each faction get 1 tournament ticket, on day X any who wish to enter can join the tournament for the chance to win a grand prize a diamond harbinger of their faction. after that they play a single elimination tournament with by's in play for drop outs and no shows. they can make a big spectacle out of announcing players can observe, hopfully someone will upload the gams to youtube, etc. of course that's bigger then is likely capable with pox's staff.

free tournaments with big rewards are indeed easily abused,but that doesn't mean it cannot be done, I personally used to love drafts =/

regardless it's not your responsibility to do anything like this, as you stated your job is balance hopefully someone who's job is UX will think of something as it's pretty rough right now.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

My point is that it's not that balance takes precedent as you claimed - that was a large part of what you said and the part I disagreed with.

At the same time, Pox HAS actually done a lot over the years on the player experience side of things.

Let's look at the history of Pox and the major changes/additions that have been made which were not specifically balance related:
    1. Colored names
    2. Rank icons
    3. Factions created (this was not a balance decision so much as to facilitate the player direction of wanting to play with factions)
    4. Highlander and other game modes added
    5. Drums of War added
    6. Single Player added
    7. 2v2 added
    8. Facebook port (and the adjustments that came to make the game more accessible)
    9. Single Rune Store added
    10. Updated rank icons (yes, some people dislike new ones, but the fact is still that time was invested in these)
    11. Tournaments added
    12. Drafts added
    13. Forge added
    14. Quests added
    15. League system (and associated rewards) added
    16. Premade/Public/Theme Decks to help players with early deckbuilding
    Yes, some of these things have been broken or lost over time mostly due to lack of programmer time to keep them working (particularly things that have been lost with the new client), but the idea that Pox has completely neglected these things in favor of balance is a blatant lie.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. Sokolov

As I said, I agree with you that these things are important, especially in a new product.

I just disagreed with your argument that these things were "systematically removed" and balance was favored over these things. It's just not true.

What IS true is that Pox currently does not do a good job with that stuff, mostly due to lack of programmer time to maintain/update these systems, particularly in the last year and a half where the focus was largely on the new client. I had hoped we could IMPROVE these things with the new client, but instead the new client is was basically missing basic features so there was never time to add anything and in fact many things were lost with the new client. This wasn't a choice - no one would CHOOSE this.

I honestly don't know what the state of these systems would be had so much money not been siphoned away from Pox when it was going strong, but as I alluded to tho that these things, while important for a new launch product, does not circumvent the game's core when it comes to this kind of game - and we saw this time and again with Pox where the ONLY item on the list above that had a major impact on the numbers was Single Player added. Everything else did do something, of course, but none of it was significant in the larger picture - and that's partly why SOE stopped investing in Pox at some point, because it simply wasn't ROI positive :(

(Note here that with many free to play mobile games, these kinds of systems and live ops are basically the WHOLE game so they are a lot more important to them as well.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  6. DiCEM0nEY

You should really make the legendary mid term releases have a semi limited border. It would help sales of legendaries. Make a class for like 3.5k shards and an alt sprite color. Then re release after next expan

7. calisk

yep these systems when they were around were great, they did a lot to keep the player base around.

when pox is running smoothly and this client stuff isn't going on and it's running at it's usual pace, we can expect most likely 4-5 patches every 3 months on balance( low balling it imo). that's 1 with the expansion, 1 with mid terms, a balance patch after each to fix the meta breaking runes about 2 weeks after each comes out, and 1 misc one to randomly to fix some iPox combo.

on that pace you can expect 20 patches a year( again low balling because i believe the real number is in the 30's to 40's but I don't have the data ), there is a council of players devoted to balance, community threads devoted to balance, in comparison I would be surprised to see one new feature added to the UX every year and no player feed back is ever requested on this front, and going by the list given pox has been around 10 years+, and about 13 items are on that list if you remove duplicate items and ports so it seems to line up to a degree.

now of the items that do get added most of them fall to the way side shortly after and are lost, personally I call that neglect, if balance was child A and the UX was child B, B would be living under the stairs wishing he was going to hogwarts.

8. Sokolov

Also a lie.

~

In either case, you are still not getting it. The point is that the balance vs non-balance tracks are unrelated to each other in terms of resources and the latter takes a lot more resources/costs more money.

You can call it neglect or whatever you want, but it's NOT focus on one vs the other that's the problem. So you can continue to say OTHER stuff that I generally agree with, but it doesn't change the fact that my challenge is based on your initial incorrect assumption/misinformation.

9. Sokolov

The fact that you consider a hotfix with 2-3 items the same as a full new content patch as the same boggles my mind.

This is incredibly frustrating that you have such a simplistic and un-nuanced view of these things.

You think the Facebook port counts as "ONE" item? You think that something like the PS4 port that took 1.5 years to be completed is the same as "colored names?"

Again, the point is that balance adjustments are quicker to do and don't typically require programmer time, so of course there are more balance patches. Given what you are saying, I wouldn't be surprised if you start comparing each individual balance change as one item vs one feature to show me how much more balance changes there are!

I mean, imagine if we were more like a typical games company, and we only patched with new content every 4-6 months, then every patch would basically come with some UX items(keeping in mind I only listed the bigger features and stuff you mentioned, and not other small improvements like chat tab changes on the old client, etc.) without actually changing the sum of what's been done.

The reality is that for most of Pox's lifetime, there's been CONTINUAL investment in the UX side of the game - and whether you like the current state or not, pretending that UX has been shafted in favor of balance is simply not true if you look at the mountain of evidence.

10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Battlegroups of 20 max to 30 runes was a major change too

11. Sokolov

It's hard to qualify that as a UX change, but yea, that did take awhile to do since everything about the game understood 20 rune dock.

Kampel likes this.
  12. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

-Bases removed from champs too, pure aesthetical and if i remember correctly players voted for that in the forums and it took a while to implement
    -Updated maps too, and more maps.
    -Poxanthuru map
    -Split Bgs
    The list could easyly reach 40s changes or more

13. Sokolov

I was mostly avoiding things that were existing gameplay related, because I think calisk's point is better understood not as just related to balance, but tweaks to existing gameplay elements.

But yea, when DOG took back over, they actually spent a good deal of time fixing/adding map effects and updated the visuals on a few of the maps as well.

That said, Avatars do deserve a mention because even though they affect gameplay, the PRIMARY reason they were added was to provide progression and a reason to play. Of course, this is one of the things which, through player feedback, got scaled back on significantly (and now leveling Avatars is barely a thing).

14. DiCEM0nEY

Did you guys develop a map editor, or do you hard code the maps? Not that I really think there is a huge problem either way with maps, I just sort of need a laugh because I get the feeling it is the latter.

I used to make custom war3 maps frequently when I was a kid, using all the triggers and resources disposable, - a few like the cache and JASS effects. But I could edit units, custom models, custom spells & effects very easily. How hard is it to program pox compared to using the war 3 editor? Please be honest, so I can laugh at your expense (although to be fair w3 editor was probably the best combination of user friendly and technical even by did today's standards).

More avatars and more avatar balance (damage spell CD less versus CD of defense spell) would be really awesome. Transfiguring an avatar can be exciting if you would normally be at a huge disadvantage on a map.

15. Sokolov

There's a map editor. Though there's no scripting functions in it. Pox maps aren't meant to have all sorts of custom stuff tho so none of that would make sense to have. Basically, the map editor lets you put in the background image (and move it around), and then define on the grid what the tiles are. Then you can add "doodads," "props" and other effects. It's actually quite standard for this kind of thing.

The bottleneck with maps is actually the structural backend of what maps are used/when - basically that architecture is extremely old and wasn't designed to handle all the different game modes (campaign, 1v1, 2v2,, etc.) map rotations so it's kind of hacky on that end.

Campaigns do use triggers etc., but they are basically a script on top of the map and not specifically part of the editor. The campaign tools and scripting language are actually fairly robust and can do a lot of stuff (similar to how the ability scripting language is, which is actually an amazing part of the game).

16. DiCEM0nEY

I can't really speak for Calisk vs Sok, but i can say that the new client has a much higher potential, but has drained the resources of the game noticeably for the last year.
    That's good to know.

17. Sokolov

Just as an aside: the cost of new maps is really the art background, which is a pretty large piece of art, since it's not a tile based system.

18. calisk

actually I didn't count the facebook port at all because I don't count it as UX, i count it as a port and a waste of time port at that, like every port pox has had so far.

the only port which could of been really good is the vita port, but sadly the only place left that cares about vita is japan, and this is coming from the guy that still religiously collects every vita game that gets released, and at this point I am starting to think i'll be more likely to see new NES games released then vita ones.

you keep getting stuck on the man power involved in the tasks, I'm not considering that at all I'm strictly speaking from an end user point of view. nobody cares about the effort involved in a task if most of the player base leaves while you are doing it, nor does the average person care about anything more then what they get at the end, the administration should of choose more realistic tasks that a small development team could of accomplished in that time if that was an issue.

the new client has a ton of potential but the amount of time spent, the players lost, and the portions of the UX that were lost in it's creation I have a hard time justifying now, maybe in 2 years we may see the fruit of those efforts but right now, no.

19. Sokolov

Well, if you throw out things because they don't "count" in your mind (despite the fact that much of the changes made in FB port was for UX), then I guess you can always make whatever claim you want?

Oh, this also makes me think of something that most people probably don't know. The first "port" of Pox was actually PHONE to PC, because Pox started life as a phone game! Of course, they quickly discovered that it wasn't going to work because phones just didn't have the juice back then.

Really? So what does this mean then?

You keep pretending like you didn't say this stuff. But your OP was literally arguing, "Do less balance, do more UX."

I mean, I have already said I agree with you on the state of the UX. There's no contention there.

I keep saying that my contention is your initial misinformation that this happened because of lack of effort/focus when honestly vastly more sums of money have been spent on UX than balance.

So for me, yes, it IS literally misinformation when you look at how much time and effort has been spent on UX to say not focusing on UX is "bad choice." Because that was never the choice made. You can dislike the RESULTS of the choices, but claiming that Pox has ignored UX is a lie.

20. calisk

well on the non binary part I admited your point a long time ago( when i clarified I should of said administration instead of devs ), you have nothing to do with the UX coding as such you can spend all your time balancing stuff and it will have no effect on the non-time being spent on UX. this should clarify any more discussion on that fact as I conceded your point on the matter

now that we can say you are free to spend all the time on balance patches that you want, nothing changes in the fact that no time as far as an end user can tell is being spent on UX, the features that do exist are being lost, and this is all occurring in parallel to a client that doesn't work on any of the platforms it currently is built for.....that last part has nothing really to do with UX features, but it does effect the UX so worth mentioning i suppose

balance patches still accomplish nothing, and pox is no closer to improving in the realms of giving players something to do