Non-Client Non-Balance Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Ok, based on the feedback above:
    • Vampyres/Bloodied Ideas
      • Something that ties into Bloodied, probably only on specific champions
      • Bloodied Rage - Gains Blood Rage when near bloodied champions?
        • This has the potential CD problem where it would reset
        • So maybe it could just be MA or something (1 rank of MA for every Bloodied champion within 3 spaces?)
          • It's not as exciting, but it doesn't have the CD issue
      • Bloodied Scent - Homing Sense for Bloodied and below 50% HP
    • Barbarians Ideas
      • I have been talking about doing something with them ever since I came back, but haven't really gotten around to it
      • The original barbarian racial that I was a part of back during SOE was interesting in that it allowed for a very particular way of playing. Unfortunately it was also very clunky, but perhaps something more along those lines makes sense still
      • The current racial isn't in DIRE need to be changed, it works. But it is somewhat uninteresting and really isn't playstyle defining, tho it is mechanically interesting as an ability, just not so much as a racial
      • Ideally, a nice racial brings back the old feel of being able to go full throttle up the gut and wreck some havoc, a bit of "rules bending" on the general high end playstyle of "threat range" and never over extending
    • Leoss Ideas
      • I think I like @kalasle's suggestion and want to do an offensive and defensive version of these
      • It also has the nice benefit of requiring race via Bravery
    • Spirits/Soultap Ideas
      • Soultap Culling - Gain Nora when attacking Soultapped units
      • Soul Curse - Units that become Soultapped also becomes Cursed
      • Soul Mending
      • As for ranged Surge, that isn't coming back - thatw as removed not just from Spirits, but almost everything. The fact is that while it was effective, it didn't really make the theme interesting. In fact, the ranged Surge basically superceded all the interactions Spirits already had via Soultapped/DMZ. And when ranged Surge was removed, a lot of that was also added/reinforced. So the reality is that rather than having "no synchronization" the theme has MORE synchronization now, it's just not so one dimensional +DMG via Ranged Surge like it was.
      • Personally, I think this should be what we aim for in themes, not just one dimensional +Surge DMG, but I do understand that the ranged Surge builds were ridiculous strong and I can see the appeal raining 20+ damage from range for most of the game even if there's no real nuance behind doing that
      • That said, if there are suggestions on champions adjustment that would make Spirits work better within their Soultapped/DMZ/Vengeful slant, feel free to mention it
    Anyway, these seem like decent projects.

~

I still want to consider doing something with the faction bonuses (not necessarily all of them), as I think they have the biggest meta impact without changing all kinds of fiddly stuff that may or may not affect anything in the big picture. Particularly, I am interested in the FW, FS and SP bonuses. At the same time, as mentioned, I'd like to explore the idea of Splits not having bonuses.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Is there something more specific you had in mind about Leoss? Any more particulars about how they would play? In a defensive sense, that is.

Edit: Posted just as I saw above post, replying...

3. Sokolov

Primarily that I want to have enough of the racials on various Leoss, and I think having just one ability won't cut it - and we don't want this one on a lot of them either.

But basically the premise would still hold, instead of it being offensive with Bravery it'd be defensive with something similar, and we could even do a defensive variant of Bravery maybe if something doesn't really fit the bill (which can be sprinkled around a bit to random champions as well).

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

@Sokolov any thoughts about my suggestion? I believe it would help level the playing field for those that don't have avatars or haven't fully leveled them yet.

5. Sokolov

The Avatar/Shrine stats are hardcoded fairly deep in to the code in a weird way (it uses some kind of formula), so I haven't been too eager to mess with it especially since the other programmers are working in the same code area.

At the same time, I am not sure it really does all that much since something with a Shrine is likely to have lost before this comes into play in most cases. This is the kind of thing that makes sense to talk about and change from a competitive/gameplay standpoint, but realistically also isn't going to have much actual impact.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think this is mostly fine. Aside from one very specific split, people don't split for bonuses anyway -- it's for exciting rune combinations. I think if you took away split bonuses, you could consider (if you like the idea) phasing out Warbanners as well.

Curious about the reasoning behind these three? If you wanted to do something radical, you could make the FS bonus interact with spells more explicitly than the current one does. FW bonus is a a touchy subject.

I think if you just made it a Blood Rage variant that can only target Bloodied champions it would be much better, assuming that you want to do something like that. Making it a distinct activated ability does two useful things: first, it removes the CD reset thing you mentioned, and second, it prevents layering abilities inside each other, which can be confusing and sometimes hard to track.

Which was this? The perseverance kind of one?

7. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

What about Dark Awakening and maybe a bit more Shadestrike/Desecrated Zone as upgrade options? That would work well in Arroyo at least as they already have some nice DMZ synergy.

8. Intweener

Intweener I need me some PIE!

Just wondering @Sokolov . How difficult would it be to recover 20 rune docks from the past? Is it salvageable?
    I'm perfectly happy with the fixes being done and all to the units.

But I would really only prefer more casual and quicker pvp.

Other than that, i would always prefer more theme based triggers. Still hoping for my abridged bunnies to appear ingame :p

9. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

• Vampyres/Bloodied Ideas
      • Bloodied Scent - Homing Sense for Bloodied and below 50% HP - Or attacks gain precision/strike vs bloodied?
      • Hemorrhage (how is there not an ability named this?) - When adjacent to bloodied enemy champ gives this champion .... lifedrinker? or Gore/rend 3
      • Vampiric embrace - When adjacent to bloodied enemy champion this champion gains ... (latch on/clamp?)
    • Barbarians Ideas
      • The original barbarian racial that I was a part of back during SOE was interesting in that it allowed for a very particular way of playing. Unfortunately it was also very clunky, but perhaps something more along those lines makes sense still (Which do you mean? the nora reduction for not deploying non-barbs or unbending force type one?)
      • Ideally, a nice racial brings back the old feel of being able to go full throttle up the gut and wreck some havoc (This would be great...they don't feel in your face or more aggro compared to other themes in the faction
    • Spirits/Soultap Ideas
      • Soultap Culling - Gain Nora when attacking Soultapped units
      • Soul Curse - Units that become Soultapped also becomes Cursed (This builds nicely off soulseeker since it works for cursed as well)
      • Soul call - Target soultapped enemy champion within 5 spaces is relocated 3 spaces closer
      • Soul Channeling - This is a neat ability since it gives healing and nora and damage AND in an AoE... it does do a little bit too much and prolly borderline OP in the lab but feels underwhelming in practice. I think it has to do with the order of operations and squishiness of the champs its on since it takes a lot of resolving turns to start to deal damage and if the champ gets one turned they cant heal... Maybe it should heal at the end of it's turn and that way it can at least save it from tick damage somethimes.
      • That said, if there are suggestions on champions adjustment that would make Spirits work better within their Soultapped/DMZ/Vengeful slant, feel free to mention it. I think there is good synergy with Psychic that could be added on. Psychic agony is a great ability that went under the radar

10. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I was thinking something like Teleport: DMZ for spirits could work, like they are popping in and out of the rift/utterdark

Though I'm wondering if it's a good idea to start throwing new abilites at a theme which is flawed on a fundamental level. This could all lead to a more complicated mess than we already have when a simpler solution is available to us.

11. Sokolov

Then what do you propose? All I keep hearing is that Spirits are noncompetitive and have no synchronization without Surge: Spirit (but people were fine playing it before), but never any details on what people would like to see.

So what is so flawed on a fundamental level about it? How is it different than other themes?

12. Sokolov

The Tunnel: X mechanics were reworked recently so they are much more usable now, so this could certainly be a potential here.

~

I was also thinking a single use (a la Seal of the Vashal) relocate might be interesting - can goto any friendly Spirit or Soultapped unit within 5 spaces for 0 AP or something.

13. Sokolov

No chance of this without a lot of engineering support. Keep in mind that decks are now saved as 30 runes, both the web and client understand 30 runes, etc.

14. Sokolov

FS/SP - Nora is just very generic, and I think ideally the bonuses speak to a flavor and changes the nature of the units/decks.
    FW - This has the opposite problem of being very specific and just not easy to grok. And that's probably fine in the context of PoxNora as a whole, but it is one of the ones that just feel off compared to the others.

That could work. And theoretically the CD thing can be "hacked" around. I do prefer a more active variant of that ability.

15. Sokolov

Yea, that one.

I liked the idea of there being a theme/racial that could "break" the rule of one-rounding and basically force you to think about engagements differently. Maybe some form of Escalating Rage that ends up with Invulnerability for a turn? I do think playing with/against Escalating Rage is an interesting exercise cause both sides know it's coming, but it's who prepares better that wins out.

16. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Ok cool, and I never know when escalating rage is coming....ever but Im garbo so

17. Sokolov

If I get rid of Charges as a cross-ability thing it could be used as a way to keep track of these kinds of abilities.

Which, speaking of, is probably what should be my first project.

Let's fix those silly Charge abilities.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Would it be better to get rid of them completely or just tie charge generation into the abilities themselves. Examples:
    Eradicate - [AP: 0, CD: 2] - Whenever a real champion dies this champion gains +1 Charge. When this ability is activated all charges are consumed and target champion within 5 spaces loses 2 HP per consumed charge to a maximum of 40.
    Charged Heal - [AP: 0, CD: 3] - Whenever this champion recovers a Nora Globe it gains +5 charges. When this ability is activated all charges are consumed and target champion within 5 spaces is healed for 2 HP per charge consumed to a maximum of 20 HP.

19. Sokolov

That's what I mean.

But one of the thing I'd want to do is remove the "Add/Remove" charges type abilities/spells because they are the things that break Charged abilities.

20. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I've been thinking a fair bit about charges, and I don't think there's one perfect way to implement it.

This is what I would like to see:

Each charged ability is a single, passive ability that includes a way to produce charges (with 1 attack = 1 charge being the standard), an optional bonus that depends on the amount of charges, and an ability that automatically activates and spends all charges when a certain threshold is met. Keep this threshold between 2 and 8 charges.
    This would mean a complete overhaul of AoC specifically (the only champion that keeps an unlimited amount of charges) but also gives a chance for poorly-designed charge abilities (aspect of life, aspect of divinity come to mind) a chance to work properly.
    Spells/equip/relics/support abilities that grant additional charge-gaining methods can still add depth to the system as they do now. I think it is important to keep the charge amount as low as possible to maintain equivalence between abilities, this could be maintained by keeping all charge-producers at +1 charge.

It would also let the warcharge ability become integrated into the family (+1 charge on hit, all damage taken is reduced to 2 (maybe there is some kind of enrage/tormented-type bonus as well with +2 damage per charge), discharges at 5 charges to destroy the champ) and it can now be countered in an interesting way (toss a normally positive equip that grants charges each time the champ is hit to take this champ out quicker).

e: the rationale behind this is to move charges away from the realm of "win condition" into more of a "rhythmic tactical factor". As stated in my first sentence, I don't believe there is one perfect way to implement charges, but I do believe that they are an interesting (and inevitable) factor in champ design. My biggest gripe is that the value of a charge is so incredibly elastic, which is why seasong breaks these abilities so easily (by transferring charges from champs that are balanced around low-value charges to champs that are balanced around extremely high-value charges). This is why I think the 1-8 charge rule is most important.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017