Nora Costs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Authyrtyr, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Why is it that every single Non-champion rune has a nora cost that's a multiple of 5 but champion runes are all over the place. Recently it makes more sense because of the champion costing algorithm but this discrepancy has always existed. Not that this is a particularly important issue it's just something that I've always wondered about.

Morfeas likes this.
  2. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Spells don't have abilities, they have an effect. Which means since they don't have a technical 'ability', they just cost a flat amount.

3. Authyrtyr

First of all, it's not just Spells, it's Equipment and Relics as well. Secondly, I don't see how that explains the costing.

Goyo likes this.
  4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Cooldowns are based on multiples of 5 nora, and it is usually the cooldown that causes a spell to have a price adjustment.

5. Authyrtyr

This is true for champions as well

Goyo likes this.
  6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It's just the way it's always been. They could have easily coded it like champion cooldowns. Nora cost / 5 rounded down/up, go.

7. Authyrtyr

Isn't that how the CD for non-champion runes is coded?

8. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I'd guess it's an artifact from the olden days when you had a lot more freedom with the champion upgrades. Keeping multiplies of 5 would have been difficult when players were able to do things like upgrade 1 HP or whatever. Though it's probably OK that way. Or at least I like the way it is. And as somebody mentioned already the 0/5 prices are a cooldown related thing for spells/equips/relics.

Goyo likes this.
  9. Ulfheobar

Ulfheobar The King of Potatoes

It is all about strategy. Spells cost more because they are unpredictable. When you see deployed enemy champion you know basically what can you expect.
    You pay more for element of suprise.

10. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

I like this kind of costing. Keeps things simple, and I see no reason to even try to fine-tune it.

11. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

<<<<------ Not a dev so.... :oops:

12. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

but...but...you use green?

13. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

I use EXTREME...

14. Authyrtyr

This makes sense

They don't cost more necessarily they just cost specific amounts

15. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

An interesting experiment if someone were to make something Pox-esque would be to unlink Nora Cost and Cooldown, I wonder what effect that would have to affect the game.

16. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

A 37 Nora spell would feel weird.

Round numbers also have the advantage of being easy to calculate.

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think that would allow the nora cost of a few spells to decrease. I feel that Draconic Benediction is one that was adjusted to be higher, not due to the power of the effect, but to change the cooldown so it was unlikely to be cast twice in a game.

18. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

This. I think that ease-of-use would dictate that Champions should have round nora costs too, except that stats, abilities and upgrades throw a wrench into the gears.

19. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

My thoughts exactly. I had a thought last night of reducing FS faction bonus from 6 to 5. Just because, the first thing you do every turn in FS is essentially 6 nora cheaper. Since Spells/Relics/Equips all go by 5. I am sure I would get hell for bringing up the -1 nora nerf to their FB, for no other reason than for simplicity.