Nora Pearls + Nora Link/Nora Leech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EnigmaXIII, Apr 21, 2016.

1. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

Is this a gimmick worth considering? (UPDATED 4/23/2016)

Nora Pearls is found on Nora Pearls (FS Relic) and Infestor (SL Champ)

1. Nora link + Nora Pearl
    Would make it so that both players are refunded 50% of the Nora cost of their spells.

This gives and equal advantage to both players, minus the Nora spent by the player deploying the pearls
    Nora Link is found on Centaur Regulator (KF) and Speckled Fesh (SP)

Notes: The idea is that the person deploying the Nora Pearls would have a BG that revolves around this concept. That is the only way this can be seen as advantageous. If Regulator is used as the Nora Link, you can include Grimlics Mirror and copy very strong champions and be refunded 40 Nora. With 120 Nora you can cast Mirror twice, and be left with 40 Nora in the bank.

2. Nora leech + Nora Pearl
    Would allow you to generate a small refund when you cast a spell, while reducing your enemy's refund.
    When your enemy casts a spell, you get the full refund from Nora Pearls, and they get NO refund
    Nora Leech does stack.
    Nora Leech is found on
    Acid/Flame Dragoleech (SL), Occuli Slag (KF), Mandrake (FS), Phantasmal Creeper (FW) and Stitched Dreameater (FW/UD)

Notes: Unlike Nora Link, Nora Leech is not mutually beneficial. When your enemy casts a spell, they will not get a refund. However, when you cast a spell, you WILL get a small refund + reduce their refund. Logically, Leech seems much better than Link. However, The refund is much smaller, and may not be big enough for you to create a solid BG. The best unit for Leech is Occuli Slag since it can replicate quite easily, and give you access to MANY leeches.

3. Nora Link + Nora Leech + Nora Pearls
    This option is the most interesting and also the most confusing.
    Nora Leech will act just as it did in the past.
    Nora Link will now trigger AFTER the reduction by Nora Leech
    When you cast a spell: This combo will mean you ALWAYS refund 50% of your spell cost
    However, your enemy will be refunded a reduced amount of your spell cost.
    Increasing the number of leeches will not cause you to generate more Nora
    However, it will cause your enemy to generate less Nora.
    When your enemy casts a spell: You will be refunded 50% of the spell costs.
    Your enemy will be refunded a reduced amount due to leeches
    Just as before, you will ALWAYS be refunded 50% of the spell cost.
    However, increasing the number of leeches will reduce the refund to your enemy.

Here is some math, using Grimlic's Mirror as an example:

Red = Bad for you

Blue = Good for you

- Nora Link + Nora Pearl

Spell costs 80 Nora
    Enemy is refunded 40 Nora
    Caster is refunded 40 Nora

- 2 Nora leeches + Nora Pearl
    You cast a spell costing 80 Nora
    Enemy is refunded 40 (From Nora Pearls) - 18 (Reduction from Nora Leech) = 22 Nora
    You are refunded 18 Nora (From Nora Leech)

Enemy casts a spell costing 80 Nora
    You are refunded 40 Nora (From Nora Pearls)
    Enemy is refunded 0 Nora

- 4 Nora leeches + Nora Pearl

Enemy is refunded 40 (From Nora Pearls) - 27 (Reduction from Nora Leech) = 13 Nora
    You are refunded 27 Nora

You are refunded 40 Nora (From Nora Pearls)
    Enemy is refunded 0 Nora

- Nora Pearl + 2 Nora leeches+ 1 Nora Link
    Enemy is refunded 40 (From Nora Pearls) - 18 (Reduction from Nora Leech) = 22 Nora
    You are refunded 18 Nora (From Nora Leech) + 22 Nora (From Nora Link) = 40 Nora

You
    are refunded 40 Nora (From Nora Pearls)
    Enemy is refunded 40 (From Nora Link) - 18 (Reduction from Nora Leech) = 22 Nora

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    newsbuff likes this.
  2. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

This looks pretty solid, on paper at least. I think a KF/SL split would work best, using infestor as your source of nora pearls, and using dracoleeches for lots of nora leeching. Resonance also has great synergy with the deck.

something like this as a base:
    https://poxbase.com/deck/C5oCqxC5iClXCinCyAC8v

3. EnigmaXIII

For some reason, when i tested it, resonance did not work off spells I cast.
    I did not even consider infestor. Thank you for the tip.
    I would also argue, having just occuli slag is sufficient for nora leech.
    The reason i liked this idea is because its minimalist.
    All it takes is 1 rune with nora pearls, and and occuli slag.
    The rest of your runes could include other gimmicks, or just solid units. It just one trick up your sleeve, instead of being all you depend on.

Also, keep in mind this is all pointless unless you have good spells to use.
    The reason I stuck with KF is because of Grims Mirror.

Using Nora Link as an example, casting Mirror would refund 40 nora.
    This means with 120 Nora, you can grims mirror twice, and have 40 nora left.
    I realize your opponent also gains 80 nora, but I thought i could structure the BG around it.

Lastly, I should mention in testing, Link and Leech did not work together. It looked like leech triggered at first, then for some reason it would just be negated and you would only be refunded by Link.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  4. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Pretty sure resonance doesn't work because you own the nora pearls, so you make all the nora.

And if in testing link and leech didn't work together, probably same reason. I believe there were lots of nora pearls shenanigans before it was fixed.

Infestor MIGHT work, don't know. (if testing was just with the relic).

5. EnigmaXIII

What?
    No just resonance doesnt work.
    The nora is not generated by the relic
    Backlash doesnt even kill it.
    The Nora is generated by the players.
    Nora Link and Leech both work, thats why it does not make sense for resonance not to.
    Ive tested all of this already.

6. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

All I know is that it was changed a while back to fix the nora link + regulator combo, and that combo was re-enabled when infestor came along because it went onto the enemy team. I don't know the specifics of what happened, but I think it's thanks to that. Could be a bug, but I get the feeling it isn't.

Either that or I've misunderstood/am stupidz.

7. EnigmaXIII

Awn your not stupid :)
    Its quite confusing to be honest. I dont understand it myself. Regardless, it seems link is not crazy effective.
    As far as i understand, your better of using occ. slag with leech.

8. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

If Nora Pearls+ Nora Link does indeed work the way you've described it, my suggestion is: use the basic engine of Infestor+ Regulator+ Occuli+ Flame Dragoleech. And then add 2x Draksar Shifter, clone them like crazy with Grimlic's Mirror and force your opponent to deal with 4+ of those. In the meantime, have Acidic Gale at the ready to make use of your opponent having a lot of nora.

Dunes Manticore and Basilisk Templar are good for stalling and Templar wouldn't be the worst backup target for cloning.

And KF always has Timber Wolves to cast Mirror on. Skywing Imperator is good for AoE, since the board is gonna be extra cluttered on both sides.

9. EnigmaXIII

I like your choice of runes. This is definitely something to consider.
    I remade the original post and included some new information.
    I need someone to tell me which scenario is the best (1, 2, or 3).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  10. EnigmaXIII

Do you have any other champs or combos in mind.
    Im thinking of using skeezick sniper + verdant promise in the BG as well.
    Should i include 1 or 2 infestors?
    Right now the engine only requires 2-3 runes:
    1. Infestor (Nora Pearls)
    2. Occuli (Nora Leech)
    3. Regulator (Nora Link)

I can just use effective runes and cool combos for the rest of the BG. However, im not very good with SL, so i would appreciate help with rune choice.
    Im definitely considering Shifter as a prime target for Mirror.

11. Aghatoor

Aghatoor I need me some PIE!

This idea seems really funny man! I'm gonna try this BG out for sure! Best factions are for sure SL/KF and key runes are:
    - Infestor (1x)
    - Occuli slag (1-2x)
    - Centaur Regulator (1-2x)
    - Grimlic's Mirror (2x)
    - Acidic Gale (2x)

Other runes i was thinking about:
    - Dracoleeches, for more nora leech instead of occuly Slags only
    - Dreadnought, Angel of War, Drak Shifter, Bloodhowler Alpha, all good tarets for Grim Mirror
    - Call to war: good spell to play, 40 nora for 3 footman!
    - Dunes Manticore & Drak morph as support unit
    - Touch of Vindrax: great on Dread/Shifter for sustain, and i don't know if the copy would also gain both Lifedrinker and Resilient!

12. EnigmaXIII

To be honest, I built that exact BG your talking about, and found it pretty hard to play. Infestor is not as reliable is it seems. I would rather have nora pearls on a relic. And having to deploy both leech and link makes it very slow. I would rather have it be a 2 rune combo using FS/KF.

If you do stick with SL, you may also want to try Nora Trap.

13. Aghatoor

Aghatoor I need me some PIE!

The BG seems so slow I see, but Fae Oracle could make it a little faster, granting +6 runes revealed on deploy, and that adaptive is strong, combined with Grinlic Mirror and Recall (so nice to cycling mirrors). This seems a stalling BG that can make an huge army of clones while defending with some cheap meat.

14. EnigmaXIII

Im not that great of a player, but maybe you can make it work.
    Ive tried the recall thing too, still not good enough. Grims mirror has like a 16 cooldown, so even if you use recall, it doesnt help much.
    Let me know how it works tho, I'm curious.