Ohmin's Anime Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ohmin, Sep 5, 2015.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I just finished an older anime that was lovely: Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow). Reminded me of Lucky Star and Non Non Biyori, two other shows I love.
    [​IMG]

2. Heart

Heart I need me some PIE!

Fate/Zero is my favorite anime of all time.

Monster! is also pretty good.

Leadrz likes this.
  3. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]
    watched season 1 through 20 on rainy day. Liked it.
    upload_2016-4-13_17-3-13.png
    had too.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am surprised you hadn't seen this one!

It's great. However... Hidamari Sketch > Ichigo Mashimaro. (To be fair, I think Hidamari Sketch > ALL.)

Have you seen Manabi Straight? One of my favorites in this genre.

newsbuff likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Iam watching an anime in which sentient rocks defend earth in rebellion from the intergalactic empire they came from while they fight corrupted and broken versions of their own species while raising the son of their leader who gave up her form to create him.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Hmm, I will have to check Sketch out. I always confuse Ume Aoki's chara designs for Sketch and Madoka Magica since they look identical except for hair color. Yeah, I'm behind on a lot of straight slice of life stuff since for a long while I would only watch sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I haven't even seen K-on! yet neither

7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Sounds like that Ice-Q chapter of Rick and Morty

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no.

Kampel likes this.
  9. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

http://myanimelist.net/anime/23273/Shigatsu_wa_Kimi_no_Uso?q=Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso

Finished this one not too long ago. Let me preface this by saying this was not the kind of anime (or T.V show, for that matter) that I would normally watch. I started watching it purely on a whim since I do have something of a musical background and its reviews were all written with high regard. It definitely won't appeal to everyone, though it has the same feel as Clanned if that helps.

I think the best way to describe this show is "turbulent". The protagonist is a has-been piano prodigy who has abandoned his prestige and talent after the death of his mother. His life is cold and monotone, until he chances to meet a free spirited violinist who helps him turn his life around. The story is a multi-faceted drama that blends equal amounts of sobering tragedy and rejuvenating emotion.

Let me emphasize this part: the story is heavily emotional. It's meant to make you feel for the characters deeply, get entwined in their lives, and elicit high levels of empathy. To use an old cliche, this show is an emotional rollercoaster. For those not into that sort of thing, steer well clear of this one. You don't need to know about music to get into this, though it does help at times. Even though the story isn't anything new, the way it was written and directed make it feel like one.

One thing die-hard anime fans may ignore and more casual fans may find annoying is the comedic timing. Frankly, it's quite poor. That's not to say it's not funny, just very out of place at times. Like, you'll be in the middle of what's supposed to be a heartfelt emotional scene, then all of a sudden one of the characters does something that's meant to be funny, and it totally ruins the mood.

That being said, it doesn't happen often enough to ruin the whole show, and the pros far outweigh the cons. I think most people can find some enjoyment in this one.

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Any relatively new stuff that looks promising? I haven't been keeping up of late.

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

seriously though give steven universe a try, I like it , gets a lot of love and hate on the internet but I enjoy it and I can still laugh out loud to stuff like this:

Leadrz likes this.
  12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

For fans of moe slice of life (.... @Sokolov ), I highly recommend Kumamiko aka Girl Meets Bear broadcasting on funimation now (on ep. 4). Very cute and funny.

[​IMG]

13. Sokolov

It's on my list! :D

14. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

Geressen likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so on the one hand I'm really curious if that actually happens in that anime.

on the other hand I don't want to go on any (more) watchlist. ( I don't know i've been watching rocket and smoke flare toturials on youtube and googled where I could get the ingredients)

Leadrz likes this.
  16. Sokolov

There's a bit of creative editing.. but at the same time it's not far from the truth.

17. Sokolov

I still miss Tamako Market :(

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I really like anime but here is almost none that I can watch with my sons (ages 9 and 11). We've enjoyed the avatar stuff, FMA and SWTCW. There's just so much sex infused in anime. People can't seem to tell stories without it.

19. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

What is wrong with sexual themes? Do you think it will harm your son to be exposed to them?

20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think he mostly means the objectification of women and the sexism. which are a problem. (which you are part off.... newsbutt)