Owl Points - Increased Exotic/Leg odds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fikule, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Just thinking aloud,

but I think it might be a good incentive to buy owl points if the chances were increased when making purchases with them.

i.e.

we have:
    10% Exo chance and 5% Leg chance with gold.

maybe:
    30% Exo chance and 15% Leg chance with Owl Points?

Good reason to buy new expansions and a good reason to use Owl Points buying older content. Won't affect people using gold, but will just give an additional incentive for spending cash while having both methods able to give the same results.

Maybe buying the latest expansion box could carry a 100% Legendary?

2. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I disagree with all the points you make, once again :(
    IMO giving extra Owl coins the more $ you spend, and having a bit more favorable prices for things you buy with Owl coins (compared to gold) should be enough. I'd expand more but I'm too tired atm T_T

Kampel likes this.
  3. Fikule

Tbh, that just sounds like making things cost more gold.

My idea is just a way to make owl points more valuable without affecting gold value at all.

Think of this scenario:
    Owl does not have enough people buying points.

Solution #1
    Raise the gold price of all products.
    - Hurts free players

Solution #2
    Increase the odds of receiving exos/legs using Owl Points
    - Doesn't hurt free players
    - Benefit to paying customers
    - Benefit to DOG as a company

Solution #3
    Lower the Owl Cost of products
    - Hurts DOG as a company

Or do you have a #4 that, like #2, has no party hurt by the change? Just considering ways to encourage Owl Point purchase without hurting free player gold value.

Also interested to know why you disagree? Is it just generally because people funding the company would have a higher chance of receiving runes that anyone can obtain?

4. Morfeas

I urge you to think about this carefully.
    That hurts DOG more than decreasing the Owl prices of their products.
    However unless you study economics I'm not sure of how to explain that.

5. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I dissagree too.. also Owlys allow you to get the Newes new expansion, so you have that HuGE adventage.

jenovah2 likes this.
  6. Fikule

So.. "it's bad, but I can't explain why"?

I can understand people being against paid advantages, but the explanation as to why is always nice. This is pretty much micro-payments without any additional content over a free player.

7. BoneSentry

BoneSentry New Member

10% to 30% is a value of triple, which is way too large of an increase. If they were to increase odds of an exotic rune, it would go to maybe 15% at most. Also, i'm going to assume Legendaries will become far more rare now since Owls seem like ones who would prefer to make little of them, so 5% does sound reasonable.

8. Fikule

The values I suggested are, of course, examples. 15% would be nice too. Just an incentive.

Or heck, just knowing that when you do pay for a pack, it's worth a little more than simply waiting and saving up gold.

Internal justification of spending money on something you can obtain for free.

9. Kampel

Also if what you are looking for is more profit for what you get with your Owlys then buy "Expansion" packs, not "Extended" packs and trade for profit.

10. BoneSentry

BoneSentry New Member

There isn't much of a need for any changes to be honest. Owl will be approaching the game with much, much of a different mentality than SoE. Exotics and Legendaries will probably no longer be as powerful, and the game probably will revert back to the olden days where emphasis is put on Commons/Uncommons/Rares management. SoE put emphasis on power behind expensive runes, which I don't see Owls doing I guess? So mentality will change, Exotic runes likely won't be as crucial anymore, so changes to how they are distributed is a no in my book.

11. Kampel

But the idea of buying with cash the same things you can get with hard work and time is to save the hard work and time.

12. Fikule

Ah, so this is a "shark" issue? Someone paying real money to earn intangible "profit"?

13. Kampel

Huh? i dont follow

14. Fikule

But I doubt DOG are looking to make playing their game "hard work". Although I understand the time part.

15. Morfeas

Farming IS hard work.
    Agree with what Kampel has said ITT.

16. Fikule

As in, benefiting from your purchase by rune value.

I am more or less talking about having a larger chance of receiving legendary or exotic runes with money purchases. And if DOG are making exos and legendaries less powerful, then I don't see the issue as they won't even grant a competitive edge.

17. Kampel

Maybe they could implement a +5% luck on boxes as holydays sales or something, same as SoE did with double station cash

18. Fikule

If you think farming is a good thing for a game. I'm guessing DOG want you to earn gold by having fun.

So is this a case of thinking free play should be some sort of toil?

19. Morfeas

Disagree with +% stuffz, agree with - actually not agree, I believe it is a MUST - to have double or w/e Owl weekends/periods of time.

20. Morfeas

I no longer follow you unfortunately.