Owls, pox players really need this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poxjedi, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

As a log time player, I had a vague idea of what abilities where on most unit's. I dont any more & it's a nightmare going through an entire faction clicking on the two drop down menus on each unit to confirm what upgrade abilities are on a given unit. Third party sites that let you search for units by ability are out of date & have been for a long time. Is it possible for D.O.G to implement a (search for ability) function in the rune manager?

StupidJerk, newsbuff and Nemorga like this.
  2. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Also, can we see the upgrade dropdown in the rune checklist and/or forge, please?

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

we need poxbase inside pox client, offer nea some boxes and a set of LIM 150K's and buy it from him.

4. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

The bad news is, Revamp changed a lot of stuff, so there is quite a lot I need to change on the website to make things work with the new system. DOG worked on this for 4 months, 3rd party websites only got fingers on the new stuff few days ago, and I only really got down to it yesterday.

The good news is, the new feed API is fantastic. Most of you guys may not be even aware of that, but the old feed was missing some rather critical data, f.e.: champions were listed with only one faction even if they were split faction, since split runes were added to the game much later. Then there was tons of stuff that the feed never had, like flavor text, not to mention any connection to the rune art. As a result the old parser I've for PoxBase is just a messy hack in Python that read the XML feed and then fetched rune preview website HTML to scrape all the things for the runes that weren't present in the feed. It was ugly, and if some small thing changed in the layout on the website my regular expressions would likely just die -- not a very fun experience when a new expansion comes out, you run the parser and get a bunch of errors. If you never did regexp debugging, you live a sheltered, happy life.

All of that is now in the past, I wanted to write a new parser for some time, but I never really got the motivation to do that, this revamp finally gave me the kick of nerdy excitement to get my ass to work, and since the new api feed completely exceeded my expectations, it seems I'll be done with the new parser much faster than I thought I would - I already got all champion stats, names, descriptions, factions and what not done on my local version, will see how far I get on Sunday. I want to get a new version of PoxBase up and running, even if it's not perfect, asap.

I've most of the stuff I need in game, but if you want me to work more on PoxBase, you can come to Berlin and buy me a beer.

TL;DR: updated PoxBase soon, buy me beer.

Sirius, Queegon, StupidJerk and 14 others like this.
  5. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Huzzah! You're the man...woman...person!

6. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Nea, can I buy you a huge jar of cookies instead? You've just won some! ^^'

7. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

@ Nea I cant tell you how great it would be to see your site updated. I own a bar in central pa, so if your ever in my area, free beer for you. ; )

8. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

Dang nea is amazing.

9. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Nea, would you mind to save a version of the current champions? I would like to compare how the champions were before and after the revamp.

Thanks.

10. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

This.

11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

2nded

12. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Yep, I got that request before, I'll put an archive version of the website up when I push the revamped one live.

Sirius, Queegon, GabrielQ and 5 others like this.
  13. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

This has been made known to the Greenies, this was originally intended and will eventually be implemented from how I interpreted their words.

14. KTCAOP

Glad to hear Nea about the update. Having the archive to make comparisons like the old PoxArchive (RIP) would be something that would be really, really fun, though may stir the pot too much perhaps =P. Regardless, I wish I knew more about programming etc. to really appreciate the changes, but for me, having browsed through the XML, it made me quite excited to see a lot of data that was posted that would have been amazing to have earlier, for instance, the hash notation makes it incredibly easy now to find the images of the poxnora rune art which was a pain for me personally to try to go through and search for when I wanted to make guides, etc. I believe this was a Cortices thing, which, honestly, so much praise for that guy. Again, wish I knew how to do all of this myself and all of us appreciate how much the third party fan websites have done for this game. One day I will learn how to do it D=.

But again, awesome to hear about the update and can't wait to see what is in store for the future.

15. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Since I've already hijacked this thread: The feed having all the data being one thing, it being available in JSON as well just makes my life so much easier. Once I'm done with the parser and put new stuff online and polish all the details, it looks like I might be able to auto-generate change logs, I always wanted to have a History tab on champions listing how it changed and when.

Shimaru, GabrielQ, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  16. KTCAOP

It's still relatively on topic since the request is being made to have a search engine for abilities etc. Hijacking the thread would be me asking you if it would be possible or do you see a way to parse out the different condition key words or not =P =).

Sorry that I cannot comment on the API, I don't know how to access it or use it and have relied upon manually searching through the XML to find all of my data D=.

To the OP and possibly to Nea, I wonder what would be the best way to organize upgrades in a way that would require less clicking and that you would be able to see the possible upgrade lines in a more logical fashion. As it is, when you hover over an ability, that awesome preview does pop up. However, I don't know of a way to design the look so that you could see the various upgrade lines going through a rune.

If each rune had their own page that could easily be browsed through I guess I would imagine it going

Upgrade Line 1 Default Option - Upgrade Line 2 Default Option
    Upgrade Line 1 Alternative 1 ---- Upgrade Line 2 Alternative 1
    Upgrade Line 1 Alternative 2 ---- Upgrade Line 2 Alternative 2
    Upgrade Line 1 Alternative 3 ---- Upgrade Line 2 Alternative 3

All other base abilities

I don't think that would fit or look really well on the checklist though.

17. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Possible? Yes. Though it's not my priority atm.

For upgrades, the way PoxBase displays abilities on the side now (on full champion page view, not on the rune itself), my current plan is to show:

Upgrade Line 1
    - stuff
    - stuff
    - stuff

Upgrade Line 2
    - stuff
    - stuff
    - stuff

Base Abilities
    - stuff
    - stuff
    - stuff

So, basically the same way it's now, just with 3 lists instead of two. I can think of how to do it best later, right now I just want to get it out.

Edit: actually I got a really elegant solution for upgrades on the card, I can just show all abilities at once in the tooltip when you hover over one of the two upgrades.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Etherielin and Poxjedi like this.
  18. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

Nea, can u remake poxnora? I suggest the name Noramancers. Thanks :).

19. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

@Nea please give us a donate link for us to show our gratitude to you via paypal.

20. KTCAOP

To your edit Nea, I forgot about that. I was originally thinking of hovering over the upgrades would allow you to see the rest of the upgrade line, however, due to our awesome popups in the checklist, I quickly removed that idea, though since you have it already listed out, that would be possible.

Thanks for the update.