Patch Preview: On death Summon Abilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

In this preview, we discuss the future the on-death summon ability series.

The most significant change here is the "first time each turn" clause. This will limit the ability for these abilities to snowball, while leaving their relative power over time intact.

At the same time, Restless Souls will now be consolidated into this ability series, and no longer create real champions (but also losing the 5 HP clause). Meanwhile, Corpse Restoration's summon is also being hit with a SPD nerf.

Finally, some nora adjustments round out these changes.

~

Restless Souls (Nora: 14):
    The first time each turn a real enemy champion within 5 spaces is destroyed, a Restless Soul with no upgrades is summoned adjacent to this unit.

Restless Soul (new)
    DMG: 10 / SPD: 6 / RNG: 1-2 / DEF: 0 / HP: 20

Attack: Psychic
    Short-Lived 1
    Initiative 1

Voil Caverns (Nora: 11):

The first time each turn a real enemy champion within 5 spaces is destroyed, a Young Bat with no upgrades is summoned adjacent to this unit.

Young Bat (existing)
    DMG: 9 / SPD: 6 / RNG: 1-1 / DEF: 0 / HP: 15

Attack: Physical
    Life Siphon
    Sonic Flight

New Growth (Nora: 11 (down from 14)):
    The first time each turn a real enemy champion within 5 spaces is destroyed, a Young Sapling without upgrades is summoned adjacent to this unit.

Young Sapling (existing)
    DMG: 6 / SPD: 5 / RNG: 1-1 / DEF: 0 / HP: 20

Vuln: Fire
    Opp. Assault

Gravebind (Nora: 8):
    The first time each turn a real enemy champion within 5 spaces is destroyed, a Grave Warrior without upgrades is summoned adjacent to this unit.

Grave Warrior (existing)
    DMG: 7 / SPD: 5 / RNG: 1-1 / DEF: 0 / HP: 11

Fearless

Corpse Restoration (Nora: 14 (up from 8)):
    The first time each turn a real friendly champion within 5 spaces is destroyed, a Shambling Zombie without upgrades is summoned adjacent to this unit.

Shambling Zombie (existing)
    DMG: 6 / SPD: 5 (down from 6) / RNG: 1-1 / DEF: 0 / HP: 20

Zombie Apocalypse

2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I wanted to say bat still is the strongest but it'd just feel wrong after all these nerfs, so I won't say it.

It is though.

Qucas and Netherzen like this.
  3. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Not to mention it can get more race based stats buffs then others.

4. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

^Not true. Grave Warrior can get boost, defender, commander, banner, and permanent buffs from bone mine (OP) and altar of bones.

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Well, R.I.P lich magistrate i guess

Speaking of, lich magistrate getting his abilities redone? the whole reason he had consume was to heal himself if he took too much damage from restless souls, and i assume he's losing surge spirit as well soooo, Eternal Life (please) and something to interact with his summons (yes i know consume would work but i meant offensively) can he have ravish? also can ravish cooldown go to 3. (it's stat bonuses are already so damn miniscule they shouldnt have to take that long to get stacked too.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    NiGhtMaRiK likes this.
  6. Sokolov

He's actually one of the ones keeping Surge: Spirit, at least for now.

7. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Sorry, sok, but you are continuing to nail the pox coffin with all that "let's restrict everything that has a slightest potential to be cool".
    Ffs diversity was the main thing that had this game running, now it's reduced to basic attacks and meaningless abilities, with no comebacks, no unique outcomes, and essentially no reason to recommend pox over a regular move-and-attack games, cause ap system and 5 skills instead of 1.5 don't change anything if those skills have little to no impact on the play comparing to stats and cost.

8. Sokolov

I am actually deliberately trying not to do that - I, too, believe that diversity is the strength of PoxNora. You will often hear me defend abilities based on diversity.

Just today I said I didn't want to water down what makes Artillery Strike interesting, and "we shouldn't nerf anything that plays differently just because it isn't what you expect" is one of my tenets (players often express a narrow view of what is "acceptable"), which I recently espoused in an FW-nerf thread.

~

Specifically, do you feel these abilities are now "meaningless?" They seem really strong to me still - but they were causing games to snowball really quickly in certain situations and this largely just caps the snowball potential somewhat. Relative to Swarm, for example, which needs the ONE champion to get the final blow, these abilities could generate multiple units in the same turn no matter how they were killed - and that was a bit too much.

I definitely don't want Pox to lose "the cool" and don't think I have done that here, but perhaps you can explain what you think was lost here that was so vital to these abilities being cool?

Also how would you have handled the issue with these abilities being far too strong in certain situations?

~

In general, players have been harping on inconsistencies and too many abilities that are similar etc. for a long time. What we have been trying to do is make things more intuitive and accessible and to reduce redundancy and overlap and I personally think we have been doing a good job of consolidating things without losing relevant diversity, but if you have specific examples you want to discuss where we have gone too far, I'd be willing to entertain them :)

At the same time, I know that the original DOG revamp took away a lot of signiature abilities from champions and I have been returning them when I review champs that have lost it. If anyone has specific ones that you think could be restored in some way, I'd love to hear it. I have also been trying to develop themes in specific, unique directions - such as the way Worms play, or the way Salaman play, or the way Goblins play, and giving them unique and interesting mechanics/abilities that are nonetheless consistent and intuitive relative to other mechanics.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Qucas, super71, Anima26 and 3 others like this.
  9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think the ability to get large numbers, or to snowball, is often part of the fun in these abilities. It is fun to aim for that crazy good outcome. So i'm always a bit concerned about capping maximum numbers.

On the other hand, there is a legitimate balance issue here, and these guys are popping out summons for very little effort. So I think the proposed nerf is reasonable.

An alternative, which i'm sure you've considered, would be a range reduction on the ability. Either down to 3 in which case you would need to keep potentially dying champs pretty close (buffing the melee 'restorers' relative to the ranged ones) or maybe just down to four (which i realise is a weird number in the new 5 or 3 system).

I think you've done a great job with this, goblins especially are probably the most interesting theme in the game for me.

10. Sokolov

Yea, I can see that, and if Pox was a pure card game I'd be probably almost never have caps. Unfortunately, these kind of abilities do often tread onto the tactical gameplay too much.

Yea, 3 just seemed restrictive in a different way, and makes the abilities very awkward for support type champions.

The way I see it, is that if these abilities didn't exist yet, and we introduced them now, they'd be considered quite interesting, I think.

super71 likes this.
  11. LoganMkv

Uncapped abilities used to be game-deciding far mor often than capped ones. It was fun when one of your games ended with instigator apocalypse, another - with sarinda eradicating everything, or 7trux ascending, or snowballing champ / multiboost getting out of control - so lots of games ended differently, there was more space for creativity, and all kinds of comebacks were possible. Now same things mostly contribute towards general stat/nora/positioning efficiency, and first mistake/bad draw more often means gg.
    It was perfectly normal when it was your choice to go for low risk-low reward general efficiency or aim for a specific high risk-high reward strategy - so the right thing had to be adding such options to themes which were lacking them.

12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Not sure about the different ranges - why not all 4? Otherwise welcome.

13. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Spea
    theyre all 5?

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Unfortunately Pox now has a new crowd to catter to, and they are all very demanding, dont really like strategy or "complicated" stuff.
    I think we, as veterans, have 2 choices: 1) accept that this new Pox is a worse version of what it once was, and play the game regardless; 2) GTFO.
    Truly sad, I had high hopes of one day returning.

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I believe that two things you want pox to do are at war. You've said you want to see 1000 players again. You also want complexity. Unfortunately the complexity keeps some new players from sticking around. I don't like the reduction in complexity, but if it helps retain more players from the PS4 launch, then I will accept it as a necessary evil.

Qucas, Anima26, Etherielin and 4 others like this.
  16. LoganMkv

Complexity has already been significantly decreased since the revamp. Where are those mythical new players which should enjoy it? Quite opposite - pox after revamp never had more players than while it had been in pre-transfer torpor for a year without any updates.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree, it is less complex. There also hasn't been a significant push to attract new players since the revamp. I don't know if Sok has any data showing user retention length pre and post revamp, but I suspect that users discovering pox post revamp either had a higher percentage of retention or a longer term of retention, if not both.

18. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

It's a matter of momentum. Every one of the revamps took a chunk out of the playerbase just as a result of the dead time. Lapsed players that were turned off by the SOE era is not a myth though, if you look at this reddit post that was mentioned here a long time ago you will find comments from former players who left because of the increasing complexity. In that thread you will find people who decided to get back in, but there is a much larger unspoken majority that simply never bothered to come back because they would have no reason to assume that the game somehow got better.

The SOE era was fun but it wasn't sustainable and a lot of that fun came at the cost of endless cheese. Having to deal with Spirit of the Mountain is nothing compared to duskdevil + temple of brutality, zeventrek superchamp decks, kthun/furball mother summonspam, hurler chasms, release imp deceiver, AP lock, and decks filled with rush tanks that each needed specialized and conflicting responses to kill.

19. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well, I personally always loved the challenge, and I'm sure people who played around the same time as me also did.
    Knowing that you would face all those things helped increase deck building skills, and actually fighting them required a lot of strategy involved, not to mention community interaction to find ways and solve the problems presented.

Edit: heck, I played ST, the one faction without spot removal (no, Gale isnt one), and yet managed to win against super champs bgs more than loose against them.

20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Why am I so bad at reading? Second time in a few days I fail hard at it.