Player Expansion Preview/Discussion (Protectorate Champions)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

So edgy.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Mostly firk and some hoppers

(I hope they come later, not actually very mad ... but I'd really like to see them)

3. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

You not a fan of the runes? There were a ton of suggestions for most factions, loads didn't get chosen.

4. Boozha

They hydrant and the recursive are kinda interesting, the other FS runes ... don't really exite me at all.

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

mate hypotherm is gonna be baller

no not that baller

hfok likes this.
  6. Boozha

It's a firk with frost

See me bursting with exitement

GoldTiger likes this.
  7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

gee because theres definitely no way a firk could benefit with chill synergies....

https://poxbase.com/ability/1840

https://poxbase.com/ability/187

the only thing i would say that is wrong with it is that it has chill as a base ability when most firk can deal that DoT whenever they deal psychic damage

8. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure. Perhaps its just my confirmation bias since its made by the players, however the runes seem to be classed in to either:
    Designed by zealots and so are a little over the top (not always)
    Not designed by zealots and so they players have no clue what they are doing (not always)

Very few runes seem to come in between to me, not to mention they feel uninspired due to the ability restrictions.

Can't really argue though, still keen for new runes and the fact that themes are still getting fleshed out is good imo.

9. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Ah fair enough, I definitely disagree though. Some runes are perhaps a bit bland on paper, but on the whole I'm incredibly happy how the runes turned out - and I view the lack of new abilities as the best part of this expansion.

A lot of runes in the exp are unique and flavourful without new abilities. Shows it can be done.

Hierokliff, hfok and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  10. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

It's too bad these runes are going to be released next week because the sprites are all ready and so is the new client and the midterms as well.
    Otherwise people might have been able to make constructive criticisms and we could end up with a more refined set of runes that fill an appropriate set of niches.
    I guess we're just stuck with a garbage release full of poorly designed runes that are either useless or OP. Can't say I didn't do my part to warn everybody else though.

These runes are all stupid and I would have designed them all way better if I had the chance imo.

Tweek516 likes this.
  11. GoldTiger

I returned the last few months, and so did not partake in the design process. If I were around then I am by no means an expert on the themes I don't play, and so I can't create runes to make those themes less patchy. Perhaps someone would argue psychic/jelly BGs should get more ranged units. I would respectfully disagree. If I was to reorder some of the utility themes got it would be (psy --> support, snaps --> ranged, jelly--> melee) but that's just me. I like what other people design (just like I appreciate music, even if I don't like it) I am just semi jealous that I didn't get to input my feedback when it matter (PS that time is not now). This is my main point even though I didn't explicitly state it, its more jealousy than anything.

For example looking through the FS rune:
    Snaptooth - strange, probably won't be run since its neither damage nor a tank but some sort of real off beater. Thing is there are so few snaps that fill so few roles it may have to be run due to the nature of how few runes there actually are. I would have like to see another ranged unit however (not pseudo range).

On to why I don't like its design. It's pseudo ranged potential is semi anti-synergistic with the snaptooth relic, and choking stench is anti synergistic with the theme passive and also champions such as snaptooth hunter and the 2/9? fatties that are snaptooths. It just seems like its such an anti-snaptooth rune that is a waste to put the snaptooth race on it. We already have this rune, its called boghopper toad do we not?

How do you improve this rune? It could just be that it was designed for non snap BGs and that's fine.

As I said new runes me likes. No need for such hate against some lazy cynicism I'm not claiming I'm a pox messiah and that my opinion is the be all and end all. PS look in underline again.

Also in my previous post I did state that perhaps (or they are actually certainly) previewing these runes to receive feedback on the low and high end, and is cause for such a widespread variety of powerlevels.

I agree. By new abilities it wasn't so much brand new abilities, but new abilities in themes. Say, water gen in aquatic BGs (salt yes).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

To be honest, I actually think that player designed runes should be included more in future expansions.

We don't need another 100% player designed expansion, but as @Tweek516 said this shows old abilities are still able to produce unique combinations and thus keeping new ability count lower.

It is a good step to slow down the complexity and learning curve / memorizing what each ability do.

Just as a side note, I actually didn't like my Blastoise idea that much, especially after others pointing it out how blend it is. I liked my other idea a lot more but I never have a glimpse into what future content holds and I will never fully understood why it got chosen, beside it was a Blastoise and maybe the original design filled a niche that I am not aware of.

Etherielin and GoldTiger like this.
  13. Boozha

Not saying its bad, but it is rather boring.

14. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I am just curious and want another point of view, you mentioned the hydrant is kind of interesting, how so?

15. GoldTiger

I like it 1 because its viable. Not because it's "strong or overpowered" in the general sense, but because it is a lower cost tortun, immediately making it extremely desirable. I like it especially because it is a light ranged beater with good survivability (making it viable). Simple and elegant. Why make a 85 nora tortun that is really strong but means you are either Firking up your curve, removing fishkisser/privateer/captain/etc., or straight up not including the new rune. Not to mention the crux of why I like it, its really cool/simple thematically. You could give me the name and we could make a very similar rune on our own accords, not to mention we think of blastoise.

Etherielin and hfok like this.
  16. Boozha

It's a 2x2 with water vortex. That's pretty much the interesting part. It could have a second nice ability, but that's already enough to make it kinda interesting.

17. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

It is intersting to see the other side of opinion that I was clouded by.

Since I do have some memory issue and I had long forgotten my intention at the time I sumbitted the design beside it was a blastoise.

@Senshu I am really looking forward to this expansion Q&A video. Since it is most likely launching with new launcher etc. I hope the player expansion have some solid time and question (best from us suggest) so the dev (sok, artist, and even yourself as a community manager) can answer how this overall experience was and the remark of it.

18. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

huh? Corsair 68 nora, Groundpounder 63 nora, Hawker 58 nora

19. GoldTiger

Or you could just run 2x dark marsh enforcer and save yourself the hassle of getting no value from these runes. Works better unfortunately.

Perhaps reworking groundpounder would be better than making brand new art since the other two are actually runnable at non trash upgrade Nora costs.

20. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The problem with Tortuns is that there are so few synergies that would give you a reason to run a full racial BG (a bit of knockback, tremir's cannon attack, and tortun's trade are not enough). This champ doesn't change that but neither would a new cheap tank/CC tortun.

Kampel likes this.