Player Expansion Preview/Discussion (Protectorate Champions)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Wolvon

Wolvon The King of Potatoes

Well I feel like it offers more versatility to the character which can be clutch in many cases. With provisions utility the grints now have detection as well a way to get rid of annoying summons.

Leap was just to add flavor and allow monotone to better disengage, because I don't feel like he can take a lot of damage with only 1 def and 48 health. Granted he has rock defiance but he is still no tank.

Camaderie was to add a bit more efficiency to the BG as a whole. I also wanted to keep the 12 base damage but since I added encourage I didnt know if you thought that was too OP, so I dumbed it done more. He can keep the 12 base damage if your cool with it.

However, if you think encouraged is not a viable option we could go with sunder as I suggested before or strike. This is one of the few times I get a say in a rune design so I'm doing my best to make it as versatile as possible. I'm not bashing on your design its awesome, I just feel it needed a few more options.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

What is your vision of this champion's intended role? Is it damage (Encouraged, Sunder, 12 DMG, 1-4 RNG)? Is it support (Provision: Utility, Detection, Camaraderie)?

I also don't understand how Leap 1 adds flavor. Is there something about the design I am missing? Was he supposed to be a leaper?

"As versatile as possible" isn't really a great goal since all it ends up doing is making a rune a little bit of everything and ends up with an incoherent design. My read on the champion was that you wanted a cheap mid-ranged damage dealer, so I focused the design on that aspect. If you could let me know what the champion is SUPPOSED TO DO, we can start with that.

~

Perhaps answer this:

Ideally, with default upgrades, WHY does a player want to include this rune?

3. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Thank you @Kampel , I will go with this suggestion! Extinguish does fit him very well to as it can be seen as Rain dance/raining (weather) in pokemon

@Sokolov , it is settle! Upgrade two should be: tough x, Domain: Water, Extinguish

Kampel likes this.
  4. Wolvon

Okay it seems as if I misunderstood you, okay his role will be to harass enemies and deal damage. If he is to be a damage dealer then the only thing that needs to be changed is his second upgrade line, which oddly enough is full of downgrades. I think he should have Nora induction at base as his handicap.

The second line should then offer this:

U2: encourage, sunder, or violent.

A fourth option would be strike if you wanted to switch out one of his second upgrade abilities.

5. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov doesn't tortun shell comes with amphibious? Reading the original post you have both on the hydrant.

6. Sokolov

Yes, already removed internally :)

Etherielin and hfok like this.
  7. Sokolov

That was my instinct as well, but I didn't feel strongly, glad to see we converged on the same thing.

8. Sokolov

Yea, if damage is an important aspect, then I think "sandbagging" him with a bunch of support abilities would just dilute his design.

Anyway, I'll play with him some, but keep in mind that the idea of making an upgrade line drawbacks is to:
    1. keep cost low
    2. allow the player to decide which drawback to play around (which is its own form of versatility)
    So if you don't mind costing a few nora more, then we can certainly do something like what you suggest, which would put him around 69 nora.

(There's also the idea of U1 being "on attack" abilities like Distracting Blows and Sunder, and U2 being "passive" like Encouraged and Violent.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Wolvon

That's brilliant but how much more nora would he cost if I did this, he is still staying true to the idea of harassing and damage dealing:

Grintmaw Monotone (IS) (originally Grintmaw Soundaspect)

Creator: @@Wolvon
    Race: Troll
    Class: Bard
    Size: Small

DMG: 12
    SPD: 6
    RNG: 1-4
    DEF: 1
    HP: 47

Cost: ~65

Attack: Sonic
    Rock Defiance
    Nora induction

U1: Distracting Blows (Default), Sunder, strike

U2: violent, encourage, shatter

10. Sokolov

67 assuming Violent is default.

Shatter is a bit awkward in U2 now, but probably ok.

Maybe something more like this?

U1: Distracting Blows (default), Punish, Sunder 1
    U2: Violent (default), Encouraged, Render

aseryen and Wolvon like this.
  11. Wolvon

Its PERFECT I'm loving it Sokolov. Let's go with it.

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Hi @Sokolov what do you think about Sarng. Vanguard getting lead the charge? I didn't know that ability existed. Short of being race specific it seems perfect for the role of this champ. Aggro shock trooper that goes in first and brings some behind him.

Maybe a tweak like this?

Sarghavian Vanguard (IS)

Creator: @@Thbigchief
    Race: Barbarian
    Class: Warrior
    Size: Small

DMG: 11
    SPD: 6
    RNG: 1-1
    DEF: 1
    HP: 47

Cost: ~66

Attack: Physical
    Vulnerable
    Initiator
    Throw Axe

U1: Quest: Runner (Default), Cull, Conqueror
    U2: Empowered: Speed (Default), Pounce, Lead the charge (since leap 3 is similar to pounce but less aggressive and this champ feels like it should be aggro)

13. Sokolov

I could see it. She is a Rare so I COULD see it... but it is one of those abilities I prefer on default upgrades on higher rarity runes.

I could also see Pounce going away on that line and being Command: Charge to fit the theme of that line a bit better.

14. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Yeah I'd be fine with default or even base tbh for lead the charge. Command: charge unfortunately requires moons aligning to feel like its worth and typically only on support champs in the rear with the gear not the front liner.

15. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

I just think over all that the player made champs when thought of were based on current META and the way abilities worked during that time. There have been some significant changes and so some of the thought up ideas on how they would help no longer apply. Right now I can not think of any way on how the ST champs provide story, flavor interest or help a FF ST BG. I see it helping out split BGs. Example Amarork Frostborn (ST) elemental storm, WHy it is a beast champ? As an elemental or a Jakei would make more sense. I get shaman class but that pegs him into a narrow bg set. If he was created prior to the Azaren Nerf he would be a good beast bg addition. Post nerf not so much. The owl champ could have his whole U1 changed after all of adaptive champs ST has now and the ability to give arctic to champs. PLus the owl has only one frostfall characteristic which is Snow Breach. Ferren Flame Culler well as much I would like to see fire in ST I would say no fire for ST champs. I all ready see the abuse with a ST/UD split. The Garu Ice mage is the most ST themed champ out of the whole bunch...Do you really want to bridge the gap for a Magic and Ice amp KF/ST wizard BG? It is little things but it is the little things that attract new players by having some continuity. Maybe just change their names over all as an easy fix...or modify due to post changes of creating the champs in the first place

16. Sokolov

And now you understand how this part of design works and why it doesn't seem as responsive as you'd like it to be.

Braxzee and Etherielin like this.
  17. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Well I am glad that it is not being reacted to very quickly...I hope everyone else will understand and respects the process

18. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Hmm. Yeah, Serpentine Mass's original layout in the first post looks a bit too powerful for its cost.

My first thought when seeing it was "huh, this looks like a better version of the Snaptooth Crawmangler".
    Granted, the most the Crawmangler can cost currently is 82, and the Serpentine Mass can cost more, but still.

I agree with other people that Arrow Eater is too powerful for it. I think Elusive is also too powerful for it. Evasive 3 would make more sense (It's kinda hard to miss it, but ranged damage won't do as much to it).

Also, that's a LOT of damage potential. It starts at 14, has 7 (6+1) speed, and its first upgrade line just makes it eat things. I think the damage might be appropriate, considering the "epic-ness" of the art, but I'd definitely up the cost.

Without any changes to it other than cost, I would think it should be close to 84+ nora.

19. Wolvon

Damn now that you mention it, i see why its the way it is. Rune making is tough.lol.

20. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Probably to late now but can you change chill on Firk hypotherm to something else like frozen.

In fs/st psychic you'd run chill shard anyway