Pounce Can Be Used as a Ranged Attack While Wandering

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by newsbuff, Aug 13, 2016.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Pounce Can Be Used as a Ranged Attack While Wandering

2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Yep, working as coded...

You can even Pounce while Immobile.

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. concealedweapon

concealedweapon I need me some PIE!

The description of Wandering seems like it's supposed to only prevent normal movement, not relocation, so being able to Pounce is WAI.

4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

No, Wandering prevents all kind of relocation. What Pounce does is proc the AoE1 damage at the target location, without relocating the unit, that's why he's calling "Pounce produces a range attack".

Pox physics are a mystery.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Swoop still works, I think, although Leap doesn't.

6. concealedweapon

concealedweapon I need me some PIE!

If Swoop works, that makes me wonder if Charge works.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

@Sokolov this is where I originally reported this bug, but was ignored last month. glad that you've noticed now.

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think ignored is a bit strong of a word. I try and check the bug forums regularly but it usually takes several hours just to do a few posts.

In this case, it was about 6 hours of work to track down all the instances of this and test the specific reports.

First, I attempted to test for Pounce working as a ranged attack via Evasive, Arrow Eater and other ranged attack triggers. This resulted in nothing and my requests for more information.

Second, I tested the other suggestion regarding stealthed relics - which yielded some interesting results, and inconsistencies between the way Teleport works and the way the newer relocates work. Ultimately, the newer relocates will now relocate adjacent to the target if there is a stealthed unit while older relocates will be adjusted to match later.

Third, I tested other relocation abilities for similar issues, and found that many of the newer relocates have this same issue.

Fourth, you mentioned the Wandering issue, so I tested that and, again, also found the same issue with many newer relocates.

The problem with bug testing is usually one of two things: 1) the reports are unclear and hard to reproduce (not the player's fault, usually, but it does make it difficult to reproduce sometimes), or 2) it opens a rabbit hole of stuff since it's usually not one thing that is the issue since so much of Pox works in similar fashions and code for one ability is re-used for another, etc.

~

Anyway, to clarify, this isn't functioning as a ranged attack in any way.

Whether it should work while Wandering is debatable, but I am going to say it is a bug and will make it so you can't activate the ability while Wandering.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    newsbuff likes this.
  9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's quite simple, actually. Wandering prevents relocation, but Pounce is a 2 part ability - it relocates, then does damage. The second part is currently not dependent on the first, thus, the first is prevented, the second isn't. The correct way of doing it is to prevent the ability's activation altogether while the unit has Wandering, and also, if possible, to tie the damage to the successful relocation (but that has problems for other reasons).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Goyo likes this.
  10. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

Heh...

Psilokibes, Etherielin and SPiEkY like this.