Pox Design Direction 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 19, 2016.

1. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

If your design focus is to go back to basic attacks, you will need to focus also on Dread Decks since these will easily counter that play style.

fattyy2k and doubtofbuddha like this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Re: Basic Attacks/Indirect Damage

The intention is not to gut indirect damage, just decrease the prevalence somewhat (particularly on champs with multiple of them). The other consideration is to make them slightly less efficient.

I want them to be part of the meta still.

3. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

So basically what we are saying is:
    no complexity is good complexity...lets have the Pox Nora Junior edition is what these changes are headed for...see current plan and midterm patch notes
    interactions (stacking abilities) need to be super simplistic so that there is no thinking involved. Just load and deploy.
    lets make it a melee game...no bombs, lame range, no line aoes....fits perfectly with Pox Nora for Kids...gj
    at this stage, why not a) remove stealth b) remove flight c) remove equipment d) have all relics do the same thing e) replace all players with AI
    seems best fit for all this noob crap coming down the pipe...not a fan guys sorry...simpler is simply not better...not to me
    #frustratedagain

4. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

Still, I can deploy a 4 dread champs and almost completely negate any basic attack related damage. It just needs to be reviewed while looking at the changes to indirect damage.

5. Bondman007

This won't happen sokobro....you are turning them into sandbag abilities....the champs with crap, inefficient abilities will be sitting in the garbage can watching other runes being played...not a player on these forums that doesn't know that (well, maybe a few noobs will think they are awesome and some of the council peeps that think this is a great direction)...you should as well

6. Sokolov

I never said any of this.

In fact, I think indirect damage decreases gameplay interest via bypassing numerous interactions.

7. Sokolov

Of course. You are right. Abilities and runes can only be in two states (OP or shoebox). How could I forget this?

8. Bondman007

You've already lowered their effectiveness by nerfing the CD. Now, if you lower their damage or whatever else you plan to do, who would run it and why?
    Also, why is it bad that there are abilities that can counter champs defenses? Heading to a pure melee game will slow games down...at least how I am seeing it...
    dunno man...guess I will just sit back and watch how it plays out....just not a fan of this stuff in digital formatting on my screen...will need to see it in game I suppose...

EDIT: Thought bombs and those actions were in a good place right now...I didn't think them OP or shoebox as they are now!

9. Sokolov

I am not saying they are OP in isolation either.

The initial stage will be to simply nerf stuff like Terraformer that has access to numerous ones and is passive (2 of the points on my list).

This patch also split CA into 2 ranks and added some more CA into the game, which indirectly nerfs these types of untargeted abilities.

We'll see how it goes from there :)

10. Lonewatch

Lonewatch Member

This sounds awesome. Can't wait to see what you guys work up for the new year.

11. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

Sounds like they are trying to undo all of corpses work.

Karmavore likes this.
  12. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Sounds interesting, can't wait to get back to playing pox again (hiatus unrelated to gamestate). For me what's critical is getting a solid amount of hard & soft counter options against mechanics that are highly prevalent and which may become problematic. Concerning passive damage, I'm really surprised that combat awareness was developed like 5 years ago but it never got followed up with 20/35/50% champ-based passive damage resist abilities.

13. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

so much compromise.
    [​IMG]

fattyy2k and IMAGIRL like this.
  14. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Wasn't Bill Cosby mostly trying to please himself?

15. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I look forward to these changes. It's pretty legit.

@Bondman007

You are over thinking what the end result of sokolovs objectives will be. He is not trying to go to simple gameplay or as you say "Pox for Kids". He is only trying to minimize and revisit/recost the effectiveness of indirect damage and the range dominance.

16. Bondman007

Thanks for the comfort. I hope these comments hold true. I am pessimistically optimistic o_O
    I just dont want this game to be you hit...I hit...*yawn* you hit...I hit...
    Nothing wrong with indirect damage...keep bombs in the game for 2016
    And I don't mean bomb 1 on everything where it does 3 damage

Cinder405 likes this.
  17. Cinder405

I totally agree. But as he stated he doesn't seek to get rid of things like bombs,auras,pings, etc. He simply wants to revise those abilities to make sure they are being costed accordingly and to make sure it's not too accessible to champs.

For example

Terraformer
    Jangar Arcanis
    MindShredders
    Hyenid Dreamcrusher

18. Bondman007

He wants to tax their efficiency...and while this is an acceptable form of nerfing, the problem is he also quoted that he really wanted to make the abilities less efficient meaning (imo I guess) that you will start seeing bomb 2 on things opposed to bomb 3 (or perhaps even bomb 1) which then makes it a sandbag. Bomb 1 and 2 are completely useless imo, and I would never select them as an upgrade option...if all he means is that he wants to add to their nora cost and keep bomb 3 on things, then it shouldn't make the ability so high that it ruins the runes with said bomb abilities

Cinder405 likes this.
  19. Cinder405

I would honestly not mind I seeing more Bomb 2 splashed on champions that have high DMG. As it is Grimlics for example can do some mad damage because of his high DMG and Bomb 3. Vindrax is just the same. I would like to see Bomb 3 on champions with lower damage so the same stays at a reasonable level

20. arthur

arthur The King of Potatoes

Interesting. I like the idea of be able to use things that I would not normally use because there are way better options.
    But I think that the ideal is not exactly to make some runes better and other worse, but to make 'em more (or less) relevant to some strategic approaches or thematic battlegroups.
    I'd like to use the Ambling Frond as example, 'cause it really sucks, but it could be usable if, instead of having hidden: vegetation, amphibious, turtle, it had shroud, so it would be a low cost way to protect other champions, or had bodyguard, to be a low cost meat to save a good champion that is fragile, or having antagonize to force opposing champions to waste time and AP on it, or transfer life... or if it is not meant to be a support, with those stats it should at least be annoying, like having font defender, or secure font, or jungle front, or chuck: wood... things that make the opponent change plans.
    Now, using Grimilic as example, the dude is a total badass, can be used basically in any UD battlegroup that will not disappoint, he is also a demon, so has sinergy with something like 90% of UD stuff, and in the fire thematic battlegroup it is the best for ranged and area damage, all this badassery could be reduced without too much prejudice by making him just an elf (and IMO this should be applied to all demon elves) and/or making him a bit more fragile to compensate that huge damage output in a ranged unity with 4-6 range and 7 speed. Comparing him with Menalaus that is also an excellent champion IMO, but that lack the capacity to perfectly fit in all of K'thir's battle groups, like a garu, a vashal or a fairy battlegroup, not that he would be a waste of space in those battlegroups, but he does not have the same sinergy that Grimilic have in UD.