Pox Nora and Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Eonix, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Eonix

Eonix New Member

Hello,

I am a Windows Vista user and I have recently installed Pox Nora after it moved from Sony to its new, awesome home. This time, the game installed itself in the Program Files (x86) folder by default. That, however, caused it to have the annoying Windows Shield symbol over the icon, which means that every time I try to launch the game, the user account control pop-up appears, asking me if I want to run the program or not.

Maybe someone here had a similar experience and knows a thing or two about it.

Is there a way to get rid of that user control pop-up? If so, then how?
    Or is there a way to install the game differently to ensure that the user control window doesn't appear?

It's not a big deal in the scope of things, of course, but - like a little kid - I derrive part of the fun from launching the game and watching it load, and that annoying pop-up takes away from the experience :)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Can you show us a screenshot? I'm not aware of this occurring before and if I remember right should only apply on the installation, not afterwards.

3. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I believe if you right click and select launch as administrator (or open as administrator) it should prevent the pop up. However, outside of removing the UAC controls in Vista; I am not directly aware of a way to prevent the triangle from showing up on the icon.

4. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Actually I am running Vista too, but never had this problem. Are you playing on a administrator account?

5. Eonix

Eonix New Member

Yes, I am on the administrator account. I tried taking a screenshot, but since the User Account Control window overrides your screen and locks it till you make a "yes" or "cancel" option, I am unable to take one. Hopefully people understand what I am talking about.

Basically, when Pox Nora was ported back to the Owls and I was asked to reinstall the game, I downloaded the game once again from the site and installed it into the default location that it was asking for, which was Program Files (x86). This created an icon on the desktop, as before, but this time the icon and the program itself have the Windows shield icon on it which basically means that User Account control pop-up shows up. I am wondering why you don't have that problem, since we are on the same platform...

6. Senshu

Did you delete the old SOE install of Pox?

All I can think of at the moment is trying to use a workaround similar to this http://www.techsupportalert.com/con...shortcut-run-without-uac-prompt-windows-7.htm
    Otherwise if you haven't already you can try adding it to the firewall exception list http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/add-programs-and-ports-to-windows-xp-sp2-firewall-exceptions-list

7. Eonix

Eonix New Member

Hey Senshu. Many thinks for your attempts to help. I understand that my issue is not a big deal, compared to all the technical problems out there, so I appreciate any time you can devote to this. That said, I will try what you described above. I'll probably try reinstalling first. I'll let you know when done. Thanks again!

8. Senshu

If you are going to try reinstalling make sure you delete the Pox Nora/Desert Owl Games file from your Programs Folder. Also, you can always try installing to a completely different directory e.g. C/Games/Desert Owl Game/Pox Nora