Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 3

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, May 2, 2014.

1. only

only Active Member

it could also be with fixed numbers so you could avoid giving another ability.

Sonic Flight - For every (two) friendly champion(s) within X spaces with this ability, damage to this champion by ranged attacks is reduced by 1 (up to max of X). This champion is Flying.

2. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

What do people think about race/faction templates that help keep power creep in line by offering a guide post for stats/costs per faction for each race? IS could help differentiate dwarfs from humans by capping dwarfs speed at a 5-6 while humans are 6-7 and adjusting abilities ap cost to compensate along with other state ratios.

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Zombies are NOT resting in peace by definition... Also, how can you declare them too weak without seeing the entire revamp?

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. only

only Active Member

see: The Walking Dead. zombies are scaries, but managable.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Slow clap for combining Sonar and Flight.

6. Lubanja

Lubanja Member

Oh okay sorry. Only can get 7 games on steam then. Unless I go buy a bundle somewhere. Point is, PoxNora costs too much to play. The gameplay is fine.

7. serxic

serxic I need me some PIE!

i dont understand, in the game the players playing zombies are fews. Kf meta players a example, are many. They is nerfing theme decks, the meta decks will aparear again, harbingers, abuse angels, SP meta is other example: Voil stormflyer + cyclonic fesh, any too common in the sony period. Zombies is a theme hard for play, No is nothing bad, but needs high skill for play him. His main runes are forbidden for new players. Otherwise, dewarf theme will get a Buff, IS is too strong, constructs are too powerful, paladins with autocleanse and autoHeal, Oh my GOD, with the revamp will nerf all the FW champions, they will count Boon of undead like 1 ability, 3 or 4 abilities for choose between for each champion. RIP FW, the same with Klzick, the UD hero, have many abilities, this champion no will see the light the shoebox zone, the graveyard zone is the next path.

8. HalfGodBro

HalfGodBro The King of Potatoes

FW is the OP faction lol...also everything will be nerfed, so why are people crying so much about what they are playing..god

DarkJello likes this.
  9. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

En serio, Serxc, tu ingles da verguenza ajena, y el mío es bastante malillo. ¿Quieres mejorarlo? Usa el traductor de google para comparar como lo escribe un traductor más o menos decente con respecto a tu terrible remedo de ingles.

Are you aware they will nerf 'everything', right? Your same pitiful argument can be made about almost other factions, like arctic on ST or leap on FS.

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Have they stated this explicitly? I really hope players don't start getting bent out of shape if the same ability costs differently on different champs. soulharvest on a range 8, 12 dmg champ is far more valuable than soulharvest on a spd 4 lumbering melee champ. those old arguments about ability costs seemed very obtuse to me in this regard. The devs aren't beholden to a champ template to calculate costs anyway. So I suppose I'm suggesting they should cost for internal synergy (things that work well together on the same champ), but not for external synergy.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. IceNorth

IceNorth Devotee of the Blood Owl

I hope all skills will have individual costs according to champ they are on, but i think cost of the skill will always be the same, would prolly be too complex to implement otherwise, both code vise and time needed for revamp.

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- As for as NKD, I think people are missing the point that the revamp of it is not intended to make it the same power level... it is purposefully intended to result in a weaker ability. Now if we're discussing it being "too" weak then I understand but some people seem confused. It was not supposed to be lateral, the current NKD splashed is too powerful with little to no cost relevance associated with such a powerful ability.

- So yes, the new NKD will be weaker... I thought that part was clear.

DarkJello and WraithxxV like this.
  13. Thbigchief

- Well imo, Minotaurs was an "attempt" at the non-blanket racial theme gameplay..a good start but not really imo a success story to be matched up against other themes. I wont say its a bad idea because that would be like saying racial based themes dont work just because the yeti incident happened.

- Unfortunately non-racial based themes likely work better in a vacuum rather then dropped into the current pox collection where they had to have certain "luxuries" to even be relevant. You then had to put them up against demons etc in UD and determine "why would anyone use minotaurs over X unless they had Y". I think this style of theme gameplay has to be global or else you have to tack on too much free power for it to be relevant.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  14. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Unrealistic.

For starters, ignoring half of the synergy would only lead to troubles. A champion with range 2-4 will not earn the same benefit from UD, IS or FW, because their bonus and the non-champion runes are wild different, granting access to very different tactics. Is unrealistic to think a champion with exactly the same stats and abilities can be equally balanced on two different factions (or even within the same theme), unless the champion is so good or bad is completely beyond any semblance of power curve. There is a reason FW have two ranged soulharvest champions, while KF only have 1 melee. In fact, this whole free style when pricing champions is the very first thing Sokolov tried to fix on his mini-revamp, and it was among the most important features employed by Octopi to balance the champions. Think about it: under the octopi administration, how often they balanced a champion by changing the price of the upgrades for that, and only that champion?

They could change values like base cost or stats, add or remove abilities, but "Block rank 2 as upgrade now cost 3n for this champion"? I do not remember a single instance of something like that.

Now I think about it, I doubt is even technically possible. When that developer proudly announced it would buff over 100 runes, everybody was excited. What he did? He reduced the cost of all the ranks of dodge and block. The patch notes were a long list of champions which got the cost reduced after said change. "Generic elf 1 nora cost goes from 74 to 72", "Generic elf 2 nora cost goes from 78 to 76", "Generic elf 3 nora cost goes from 63 to 61", "Generic elf 4 nora cost goes from 90 to 88", "Generic elf 5 nora cost goes from 51 to 49", "Generic elf 6 nora cost goes from 65 to 63", "Generic elf 7 nora cost goes from 74 to 72".

What does that tell to us?

15. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

QFT.
    Few defensive abilities in the game compare to NKD 2 and those that do (such as Rock Eater) have easier ways to bypass them as precision is not always available to all factions or themes.

16. only

only Active Member

little to no cost? see Jakei Shadowstriker/Mindstriker/Warfoot or Kas Adherent/Apprentice... that's ALL they got.

I think you're clearly missing the point if you think this change is more due to balance rather than design. NKD is stupid ability since it's ability, which provides 6 other abilities. virtually, it's 7 ability icons. that is/was its problem!

don't get me wrong, it's very powerful ability, but it also seems that everyone who was designing/balancing it, knew it and responded accordingly.

in fact, if you see there are only 2 problematic NKD champions: Kento and Kas Guide. former is like any other 150k rune and latter is just regular balance offender (not a surprise from last year).

Regulate likes this.
  17. Ragic

I would feel safer with the devs 'free ballin' the nora costs of champs rather than trying to stick to a champ template. my only issue is when they do this, they shouldn't try to predict the bg the champ will be in when deciding its cost. they shouldn't even factor in faction. else the bonus is no bonus at all (and you cant tell if the champ will be in a ff or split deck, and not all splits are equal). but I think you can look at the abilities and stats on a champ in isolation and come up with a fair cost.

players are horrible at deciding champ costs. ill prove it. answer the next two questions as honeslty as you can
    1.) how much nora is boon of the undead worth?
    2.) would you prefer to have boon removed from every undead champ and then have that champ's cost reduced by the amount you answered in question 1?

this will cause most players heads to explode or else claim that every champ in FW is currently underpriced. either way, you cant trust their opinion.

18. only

only Active Member

boon of the undead (in current state) exists for the reason FW bonus is weaker than the ones in other factions.

so FF bonus = FF FW bonus + BotU.

it doesn't mean that FF FW bonus teh shiat. many synergies/playstyles are based on it, but that would also explain why witches and vamps are supbar. they simply do not benefit from it OR they don't have it at all.

in fact, we might go even further and say how unfairly advantagious are IS/X, FW/X, SP/X and KF/X splits.

IS/X you get half of your faction bonus, but you also get THAT GLORIOUS font bonus, which is supposed to balance "the weaker FF bonus"?

FW/X - half of FF bonus, but also BotU on your champions?

SP/X - due to how rounding-up works, it's more than 50% of your bonus. the only reason it's fine is that there is no reason to play split SP, when you can play FF SP! :p

KF/X - this one is opposite of the 3 above. those were with MORE than 50%. this one is with LESS than 50% of its FF bonus.

there is no doubt those rampant split decks of those factions are being played for other reasons than just theory of faction/font bonuses advantage, but that wasn't the point. what I said was more about theorycrafting.

19. Thbigchief

- Problematic and what Im saying isnt necessarily the same. There are plenty of champions that are not paying for their abilities that are not necessarily OP or even problematic. I'm saying Kas are likely not paying enough for NKD 2 (the older NKD champs have been powercreeped of course).

20. Ragic

that reminds me, we also need a full faction only format with its own ranked ladder. OR, you mine the win loss records of players based on the type of deck used and then calculate the rankings from that. So there wouldn't be a separate FF only room, instead you simply look at all the ranked games that player used an FF deck in. Then use FF ranking of the player and his opponent (even if the opponent wasn't using an ff deck) to calculate the results of that match. You can even split it up by faction. This way the playerbase isn't split since everyone is queing up in the same space and isn't using a filter for matchmatking. You could have any number of ranked ladders depending on what you filtered the games list by, highlander for example, or map even. wouldn't it be cool to know who the top 100 players are on any given map?