Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 4

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PoxZuo, May 7, 2014.

1. only

only Active Member

focus should be on design choices rather than balance. the only one thing (regarding to balance) we could indicate now (from these previews) would be the pace of the game.

so instead of saying "95 for X, is it fair!@#$%^", we should ask what is the intention behind changing the pace of the game. obviously enough, developers want to slow down it a bit. probably involving less one-rounding, more harassment and general choices in the long run. I assume those from their latest Q&A and some of their design choices/thoughts on Void Rim.

2. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

My personal issue with his cost had more to do with the fact we've got a rune in a theme that's designed around getting out lots of cheap champs and power turning that costing 95 nora. I'd rather see him lose some abilities or stats if it would allow him to be cheaper and a less substantial tempo hit for skeez.

3. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I think that it might be better for reading the runes upgrades to mark the nora values relative to the default.

So right now it's:
    Leap cost 1
    Leap (2) cost 4 - Default ability
    Leap (3) cost 8

Opportunistic cost 6
    Slam cost 4 - Default ability
    Domain: Water cost 4

Instead make it:
    Leap -3 nora
    Leap (2) +0 nora - Default ability
    Leap (3) +4 nora

Opportunistic +2 nora
    Slam +0 nora - Default ability
    Domain: Water +0 nora

4. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

This fills me with no confidence about the ~calculator~. Cannot fathom how both augur and blackguard get spat out by the same thing.

I guess it doesn't reallly matter tho, some runes will become op under the new costing system, some runes will become Bane Shift. It's just going to be a re-shuffle and nothing more.

As long as it doesn't make a different, currently bad set of legendaries autoincludes I don't think I will really care.

5. Regulate

I can't help but feel that thinking you can create a formula to create balanced runes in a game of this complexity is utterly naive.

Is CA:M worth 10 nora on a champion with 5 damage as well as a champion with 20 dmg?

Is resilient worth X nora on a champion with 0 defense as well as a champion with 4 defense?

etc

I doubt it.

6. only

only Active Member

but it's not like you can choose CA: M on ANY champion. this would matter A LOT if you would be creating all champions from the scratch on your (read: player's) own.

but it's quite obvious that the current upgrade system or no upgrade system would be much better solution than this since as I haven't heard any explanation for this rather than they want to deal with CP system. if they truly wanted that, they would remove it. there must be something more behind it. my guess would be they lack that level of complexity/"customization".

7. Regulate

Come on Pede, wake up. The point they are making isn't that "oh no blackguard is nerfed!", it's the point that the power of what's been output out does not seem to match up to the nora cost. They aren't necessarily comparing it to pre-revamp runes, but post ones (ie other ones shown in the preview).

Also lol, that MAT buff. Drop block 1 to block 2 and he's 10 nora cheaper than live for the exact same champion.

Given that we are seeing 'weird' outputs like this off the 3 previews they elected to show us kind of indicates when the revamp hits and hundreds of champions are updated some things are going to be totally broken (brokenly strong as well as bad). The whole point of a calculator that Gedden keeps iterating is that 'everything works by the same rules', so they shouldn't need to individually change runes as long as they obey the formula, but that clearly just isn't going to work.

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Reggie, you seem so bitter lately, I will avoid responding to you until you correct that attitude, since we are buds and all.

9. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

My guess would be that right now the calculator is pretty simple due to the fact that they are re-doing all the runes in a short period of time. They are working off of a formula for the pricing of stats and abilities and I imagine that forumla can evolve to include additional data as time goes on, such as the damage for a CA:Melee or Essence Capture champ, etc.

Right now I think they just want to know everything has a certain price for a reason and sort the details out later. Much simpler than trying to calculate value in a system where the pricing is based on highly sophisticated "looks fine.. ish" mathematics.

10. Regulate

I have been reliably (unreliably) informed that the calculator/formula is still going to be used as guideline rather than a rule so whatever, I got another impression from green comments

11. only

only Active Member

I wonder what's the problem with the current balance.

in this case, balance = pace of the game, quantity of viable decks in META level etc.

it doesn't seem that wise to drop off the work of years and then to waste resources/time on figure it out, again...

12. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I would think that the calculator would be sort of a "starting" point to determine a champions nora cost, and to determine upgrade values. After the revamp nora values could always be adjusted behind the scenes on champs for design / balancing purposes. Without a calculator, designers are simply guessing at how to value a rune. With a base calculator, they are given an approximate / recommend value; It may not be perfect, but having a base value will help prevent future power creep by preventing under-costing new runes.

There may be aspects to the algorithm that are not so rigid. For example the equation could always be modified to read something like ( resilient cost = 5 + 0.75 x defense ) in which resilience on a champ with 4 DEF would cost 3 more nora than one with 0 DEF.
    Also, designers will probably take these kinds of things into consideration when designing runes; they will not be arbitrarily handing out abilities but carefully planning them instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if after the revamp, the formula gets slightly adjusted or nora costs of individual runes are modified from their original "calculated" values to be more representative of the unit.

13. Regulate

As already stated I took from the videos and comments that the system was designed to be 100% fixed, and have since been corrected about this (and hopefully that is right)

Serves me right for only half paying attention

14. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

damn if 6 speed blackgaurd is 95 nora.... IS bouncer with 5 speed will def be like 120 nora

15. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Blackguard is OP at 95 nora, IMO. Look and behold:

[​IMG]

16. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I wonder if they would mind posting the broken bones. A bare bones champion would help us to get a better look at how are stats valued. Alternatively, looking at the titan or zeventrech would also show the variation in nora price.

Rockhopper likes this.
  17. HalfGodBro

HalfGodBro The King of Potatoes

what is skeezick alliance becoming? i hope this one is getting revamped...cause a +2 damage is lame and not fun

18. zoiks

zoiks The King of Potatoes

Can't help but compare the blackguard preview to the magnus preview and scratch my head.

19. iodomy

iodomy Member

I hate Skeezick as much as the next guy and all, but, uh. What?

20. crisian

crisian Member

whats the deal with that cost increase on Blackguard? ..not cool :(