Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 6

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, May 30, 2014.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

yes, you need to explain how the cost per stat/ability curve isn't linear and that each rune type has a min/max cost which is dictated by gameplay mechanics. In your explanation be sure to reference examples that show how the same abilities can be worth more or less depending on the champ its on. And also don't forget to discuss ap vs nora as a game resource. You might need to postulate on the cost of a deck slot as well.

2. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

I would argue the curve needs to be exponential (to some degree), not linear. It is better to have 2 75 nora champs at 40/6/10/1 (HP/SPD/DMG/DEF) than 1 150 nora champ at 80/12/10/2 - even if the speed stat is crazy. We're playing a position based game, being in more places is a (very large) advantage.

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Send me 300.00 US dollars worth of silver first, and then I will research those topics and make a nifty post within 24 business hours.

(Payment in lead or brass is also acceptable, just NONE of that fiat currency crap).

4. Ragic

which is why I mention ap as a game resource. think of each champ deployed as an 'ap generator'. but as you say, 2 champs are worth more than 1 champ that generates the same amount of ap because of the positional objectives (fonts/shrines) on the board. I suppose you could even make the claim that a champ is worth more nora to deploy the more friendly champs are currently deployed. I've toyed with the idea of an 'upkeep' cost which would help regulate the size of the force on the board, but it never got a positive response with the playerbase.

5. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

So this means the 3 abilities in an upgrade path can never be taken together?

6. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

exactly, one from each path at the same time, no more, no less.

7. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

This scares me. I REALLY hope the Devs don't make any mistakes with this system...

8. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

conquest of champions has this

9. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

why?

10. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

They make mistakes, just like everyone else. Don't worry, be happy. ;)

11. Ragic

that's more of an 'ap cap' than an upkeep cost. I don't think capping total ap per turn would be good for pox. upkeep would have to be paid in nora. it might actually help with the steamrolling effect people keep talking about. So for the Thirion example, he is priced as high as he is because of the ability/stat set he has, but you could transfer some of that cost to his upkeep thus making him more deployable. I don't know what the exact numbers would be or if further adjustments to nora in general would need to be considered, but it would add another layer to champ design and give them another lever to balance things with.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

But that isnt necessarily disproportionally high compared to the revamps price scale. At the dawn of pox a dwarven king was 100-105 nora, a barbarian commander was in the 87-95 nora range. Again, it just seems we have gotten too reliant on overtly efficient champions who are "worth" their cost directly from the dock instead of having generally non efficient prices for champions based on the fact they will be around until killed and the sheer utility of the rune type. A champion should only ever reach efficient or pay for itself status based on being around and used well for a few turns.

13. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

So like the merc ability (4 nora per turn), but more variance.

14. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

wait i thought for magnate we can choose only one pathway
    eg either
    haste+ Divine favour + Regal presence
    OR
    Pride and Soul of allur and Regen 3

is it possible we can ask DOG t replace counter attack range with soul of allur i thin most people would prefer that
    if 2 of each i guess most obvious would be haste + regal and soul and Regen 3

Im even more scared about UD if they half all of the base of champions that are greater than 16 im sure like 50- 60% of UD will be shoeboxed

15. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

I thought it would be

(Exactly one of: Pride of Aiur, Soul of Aiur, Regeneration 3)
    AND
    (Exactly one of: Haste, Divine Favour, Regal Presence)

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. chickenpox2

I'm not sure DOG never fully explained how the pathway works

17. Protick

Protick I need me some PIE!

Your champion starts out with the default abilities on both paths. Level your champion up to 2 stars, you get to change one of the path's ability. Level it up to 3 stars, you get to change both. Basically, a fully leveled champion, will have the choice of ONE ability per upgrade path.

18. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

This is correct. You get one ability from each category and if the champ is unleveled then you get the one selected as default.

This is my sentement. DOG is setting a very bad precedence by putting racial abilities on the upgrade chains. It implies to me that they put more importance on splashability and meta presence instead of theme use. Despite its changes to stats/ranges/etc. which i can accept for the most part, the change to available abilities and what we can choose from and how is disturbing. We dont get a theme enabling support rune that doesnt suck for combat anymore, and instead we get a hybrid combat focused rune that has support abilities. The original flare of this rune is destroyed by this dispersment of abilities.

I would so prefer to have soul on base, and then for upgrades have the following upgrade options:
    chain 1: pride, regal presence, regen 3
    chain 2: CA: ranged, divine favor 3, haste

at least with this set up in theme use isnt screwed completely and you would be able to choose if you were fielding a support rune or a combat rune for in-theme or meta decks.

chickenpox2 likes this.
  19. chickenpox2

I thought that u can choose 4 upgrades including the 1 default ability +basic attack (seriously if they consider basic attack as upgrade that just BS lol)
    in that case what about rune with no basic attack
    Example : Elven Prodigy
    will the pathway be like this?

Blindfire
    or
    Blindfire + rain arrows 1
    and choose 1 each
    Upgrade path 1
    presision
    defensive trike
    Rain of arrow 1

Upgrade path 2
    elusive
    Stats Bonus: Dmg 3
    Defensive strike
    Rain of arrows 2

20. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

@sassquatch
    I think the point of racials on upgrades is to allow more freedom for the unit. If they have the racials as a base then they can only ever be used in that theme. DOG is aiming for how the game started out. i.e. Making your own themes and combos without just following obvious abilities.

Boozha and SPiEkY like this.