Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 6

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, May 30, 2014.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

During your "testing" mode be sure to check out how on - demand immobility and gale synergize.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

No, iPox has it correct. You get the Default on both paths at level 1. At level 2, one of the paths is "unlocked" so you can remove the default in favor of one of the other two options. At level 3, the other path is "unlocked" and you can customize it also.

3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

so i can replace counterattack range with Divine favour right?
    what about prodigy though is my pathway accurate?

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Which preview are you referring to? I looked back and didn't see a prodigy preview. Also which champ has counter attack ranged that you're mentioning?

5. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

this is what i think will be a preview of what prodigy will look like
    Example : Elven Prodigy

Blindfire
    or
    Blindfire + rain arrows 1
    and choose 1 each
    Upgrade path 1
    presision
    defensive trike
    Rain of arrow 1

Upgrade path 2
    elusive
    Stats Bonus: Dmg 3
    Defensive strike
    Rain of arrows 2

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It would be something like this. An ability and its upgrade are always in the same path, so rain of arrows 1 and 2 would be together. At level 1, you would have Rain of Arrows 1 and Defensive Strike. At level 2 you could remove Rain of Arrows 1 and replace it with Precision or Rain of Arrows 2, with a nora cost change. At level 3, you could remove Defensive Strike and add Elusive or Stat Bonus Damage 3.

7. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

@Fikule
    There is absolutely no reason to choose a racial as an upgrade, easpecially in the case of leoss, and even more so in the case of the magnate. His original flare/design was the ability to triger both pride and soul. He then also had regal presence, and an excess of awesome support abilities. I admit and understand he needs to lose some abilities to fit in with the revamp but with this layout of abilities you cant even keep the same function of the rune. Lets face it, CA: ranged would sandbag a support rune and the layout of upgrades is is designed for a support champ. I will admit for a non leoss based deck he is passable. I however love pure leoss decks and I wont run this champ as is post revamp. It brings nothing for pure leoss. They turned this particular champ into a hybrid combat/support champ, and hybrids suck always. It doesnt have a desireable range for a combat champ and it doesnt let you choose the support abilities if you try and design for a pure leoss theme. You should never have to choose between a racial and a core ability.

For the remnant if you had to choose between pride or battle master which would you take?
    For the ward if you had to choose between motivate and soul which would you take?

You should never have to choose between a core ability and a racial. They may as well remove every racial ability that ties a theme together. Skeez aliance, pride/soul, skywing OPness, all of them might as well go if the function of the rune has to be compromised to have a racial. Alot of players including myself prefer playing a theme verses random meta and we shouldnt have to compromise our champs to do that.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  8. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

A blank template may help to understand this:

Generic elf - 74n

(Base)
    Basic attack
    Ability X
    Ability Y

(Upgrade 1)
    Ability A1 (4n)
    Ability A2 (6n - Default)
    Ability A3 (8n)

(Upgrade 2)
    Ability B1 (4n)
    Ability B2 (6n - Default)
    Ability B3 (8n)

This is just a silly example, do not pay attention to the numbers.

Is important to note, so far all the previews have shown 3 abilities per upgrade, I do not know if is possible to have 4 or more options on each upgrade, but I will assume they will keep it down to 3 for simplicity's sake.

Anyway, following that example, generic elf will always come into play with the same base abilities (in this example, a basic attack, X and Y), disregarding level or owner. IIRC, the developers said they are planning on including 3-4 abilities per champion, and apparently racial abilities like BotU counts as one. Also, apparently abilities like mythical or multitude are being dropped, and replaced with the message that tells how many units can be included on the bg.

Now lets talk about upgrades. Every champion will have a default ability on each upgrade, so every single champion level 1 will always come into play with the same abilities. In the example, generic elf level 1 will always come with a basic attack, x and y at base, and A2 and B2 as upgrades. Once the champion reach level 2 and 3, the upgrades will be unlocked, and a new abilities can be selected to replace the default abilities. However, it should be noted each ability have a different cost, so the difference on costs will be reflected on the nora price of the unit. Following the example, if a player picks the ability A3 over the default A2, given that A3 is 2n more expensive, then the new cost for the champion will become 76n. However, if another player picks B1 over B2, the champion would become cheaper, 72n.

9. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

just to be clear, the upkeep im talking about would simply be a set nora fee for having the champ deployed that is deducted from your nora gen at the beginning of each of your turns. I wouldn't charge nora for ability use. That is what ap is for. And I wouldn't simply substitute nora for ap because I think a champ should be useable to its full effect once its deployed.

and just so no one starts picking apart how that would ruin the game, I understand that the game as been designed for fast deploys and fast resolution for years so if something like upkeep were to be introduced it would require a retooling of shrine/font nora gen. Perhaps nora gen in general so that building up your nora gen is something you can try to achieve each turn (like resource gen of more typical build up type games). so this is just what if talk unless or until the time comes when we cant get the nora cost of champs to work with a set formula.

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree with your statement that you shouldn't have to choose between a core ability and a racial, I can see having to choose between Soul or Pride depending on how you want to run a champ. Kiergana is a good example of that, she has upgrades that benefit stitched and upgrades that benefit kanen. If barbarian's racials weren't changing, I would have liked to see some of them have upgrades giving you a choice which clan they belonged to also.

11. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

No large champions and small champions with the same range will cost pretty similar because as some others have noted large champions have some drawbacks when it comes to mobility.

SireofSuns likes this.
  12. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Then the large melee champions should have a discount.

13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

unless they have a tunnel ability

ugh, im glad this isn't my job

14. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Honestly, I'd just eyeball the costs and then throw around dozens of balance patches to set things right.

15. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

The downside is eyeballing gets subjective fast.

But they said the fixed costs is a base to work from, not a final product. They also said the system for costing will become more refined as time goes on (I imagine abilities will be able to factor in other abilities they have synergy with later).

And I imagine there will be dozens of balance patches no matter what system is used as a basis ^^

16. Muddled

Muddled Member

Ok, sorry to have not read the whole thread to see if this opinion has already been expressed but I really hope champs in general dont get more expensive without retooling/repricing the spot removal. I understand cutting down ability numbers but who the heck would ever use a 120+ nora champ with all the removal floating about.

17. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

They are actually retooling/repricing the spot removals, thats one of the main reasons they are able to rebalance every champ to its true(high) cost.
    Isn't it amazing? =P

18. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

DarkJello, I will try, though it could be difficult.

Woffleet, because I am almost certain that there will be a champ that works best with 1 or more combos of abilities, but each of those abilities are in the SAME upgrade path. Example:
    ChampionName
    "blah blah, other stuff, blah blah"
    Upgrades (or whatever they call it now):
    /slot 1/
    x
    y
    z
    /slot 2/
    a
    b
    c

And the champ works best if it has x and y, or if it has a and b. Let me know if I was terribly unclear (I tend to have that problem :p).

19. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

So you guys are looking into it as you hinted? Yay! Perhaps my Cyclops will become... Better? I suppose?

20. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Just thinking aloud.

Large units need 3 spaces to be on cliff tiles before they fall. This is an inherent part of being a large unit.

Could it also be made so that a large unit could be stood on one tile that a flying unit could occupy? (And unable to stand on two or more without having flight)

This would solve some mobility issues by letting them tackle corners better and allowing them to ignore small obstructions.

21. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

You mean impassable squares? Yeah, I suppose that makes sense, to a degree.