Pox on high res MacBook?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by realgigio, Mar 5, 2015.

1. realgigio

realgigio New Member

Is anyone playing Pox on one of the new 15" MacBook pro retina? How is it?

I was wondering if Pox works well there, since the resolution of 2880x1800 can create problems (I am now testing a pc with win8 and 4k display and pox cannot be played there...)

thanks!

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I am fairly certain it is only 'meant' to size up to 19020 x 1080 16:9, anything larger should end up making it seem smaller. Though; how the OS handles it on scaling does have an effect as well.

3. realgigio

realgigio New Member

Yeah since there can be differences it would be cool to hear from someone who tried this first hand, that's the only way to be sure!

4. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

I only have an Air (wtb Air w/ retina), would have to molest someone in the office, but given how everything else works, my guess is it will be just upscaled 2:1 (all graphical assets in all Java apps are), that is unless you run retina as native res, then it will be just tiny like everything else.

5. realgigio

realgigio New Member

can you elaborate more please? I am still not getting an answer...have you aver tried it on your mac? it would be very useful to know, it being an Air doesn't make a difference, the only point should be the res

and, what do you mean by "running retina as native res"? I guess retina is always the native res on retina macs, but the you can change that res and downscale it if you want to....but I am not an expert and I have never had a mac, so maybe I am getting something wrong...

6. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

I did run Pox on my Air and it worked fine, I haven't tried recently though, I heard some folks complaining about the Linux version being gone, I can check if the Mac version is working later.

As for retina - it works different than just having a super high res, the point of it is to make things sharper, not smaller. So, f.e. an icon that is 32x32 pixels on non-retina mac becomes 64x64 pixels on a retina - all system graphics and plenty of apps come with the 2x variant for that reason. If an app doesn't support retina, then it still has everything upscaled, though only fonts and vector stuff gets sharper. You can turn all of that off and just use the screen so that 1 physical pixel represents 1 pixel, and then it is business like usual on other OSes and stuff gets tiny instead.

Edit: ok, I was curious myself so I checked - they just dropped the ball on Linux, Mac version is still here, and they even updated the launcher to be the same as the one on Windows now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  7. realgigio

realgigio New Member

Ok I see, thanks a lot for the explanation, it is a bit clearer now ;)

It seems that pox should work fine on a Mac then...now the perfect thing would be to have a confirm from someone using pox on a 15" retina Mac!