PoxBox discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Nov 12, 2014.

1. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

we have a person for database one for trader what we need now is someone reliable to make a site for analysing change in prices especially for legs and lims so players can have a second opinion.

I used to play urban rivals which also was a tcg game the had a site which did a very good job monitoring value of each of their cards only difference is that urban rivals controlled price of cards.

if tradebox can work with DOG they can make a similar site to analyze and update prices of the runes it would really help the players.
    This should be done after fogables are released ofc.
    Website for ur database
    http://urdb.kirlad.net

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh right, you're one of those guys. Correcting ignorance is trolling. Anything I do is trolling to those who don't know better.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Alright, thanks for that. Don't want to reply to something if I am not sure what you are saying.

I think you make a good point - someone will always be in a position of most profits, and they will probably be targeted in some way - but just because that's the case doesn't mean we can't still examine who is in that position and why; being in the position of greatest power doesn't absolve someone from scrutiny.

Some may be targeting PB just because of its perceived power, but there are others who have concerns about PoxBox aside from PB's position. That PB is as powerful as it is does not act as the source for those concerns, it just amplifies them. If someone is worried about a problem or course of action, the stronger that problem is to do things, the more they are going to be worried about it.

I agree with you that slinging mud at Decandor/PoxBox just for being in a position of power seems silly. But I do at least have concerns about PoxBox, its methods and its role, that are strengthened rather than influenced by PB's economic position, and it sounds like at least some of the other people in this thread do as well.

Off-site traders help regulate pricing, but there are two sub-points to that.

- First, this regulation could be done by DOG instead, to both a greater benefit to Pox and likely to the players. With hording mechanisms removed or limited by a single rune store, there would be fewer holes for abuse and less room for trade sharks to game PB or other players. As it stands right now, PB acts as a regulatory entity, but evidence abounds that indicates various sharks or players are gaming that regulation for personal benefit. Which ties into point two:

- Second, PoxBox as it stands is weak in its regulatory power; it is even weak in its indicative power. PoxBox acts as a method of comparing and controlling prices, but due to limited-to-no competition, its somewhat arbitrary nature, and the vagrancies of the system noted above there are only weak assurances that it is actually providing a stable or even an accurate price. PoxBox acts as a rough measuring stick exchange, but that it shows what people are actually willing to pay for one rune compared to an other is only guaranteed by the vaguest of proxies. In addition, that price could change at the drop of a hat should PoxBox wish to alter it - people who use the service often would not be so reticent as to refuse the new price.

I don't think PoxBox is some big demon that is ruining the Pox landscape; players have already mentioned how it kept them in the game and helped them get the runes they want quickly. But I do think it is owed a bit more scrutiny into its exact practices and influences.

Once again, thanks for clarifying what you said, and being so civil about it. Big help.

4. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I wasn't going to, but I'll give you an English class. To correct: to change (something) so that it is right, true, proper, etc. : to make (something) correct. Saying something is wrong is not correcting it. Repeating that something is wrong is a lame attempt at trolling, at best. The difference between us is that you think your knowledge is valuable and that you're above others to share it, because you play better and have more likes. I know that the more I know the more I need to know, therefore I take every conversation I have as a chance to learn. Calling someone dumb because they don't know something is counterproductive and time consuming. I wish you actually took to heart the stuff I write to you.

@kalasle English isn't my first language so I don't mind being corrected. And yes, what you said pretty much sums up the state we're at, along with everything else that has been stated. Now(like I should've said like 3 times in this thread), pretty much all we can do is wait for a position from DOG.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Korahn2610 likes this.
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Okay.

6. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

See, that's how you're helpful, thanks for pointing out my completely innocent mistake! I'll correct it right now.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

BurnPyro, fighting stupidity since 07

8. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

That's a long struggle against yourself.

Korahn2610 likes this.
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Nobody said it was easy

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think the community is tight-nit enough that a concerted push by the market could change how PoxBox works - the people who need to wait for a judgement by DOG are the one's using the service, after all. I don't use PoxBox at all myself, and I encourage everyone I speak to, including the new players in PA, to avoid using the single rune store from PB. If there was sufficient will in the people involved, PB could be changed without a DOG intervention. Plenty of people are, however, fine with how it functions at the moment, so it remains relatively unchanged.