PoxNora Additional Game Types

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Jankin47, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Jankin47

Jankin47 New Member

So this is a case of spit-balling in the chat lobby of battlegrounds and after I found that some people agreed with me I figured that perhaps I would post something in the Forums in the off chance that the Dev's would find some spare time and decide to go for a read.

Here are just some of the ideas that I came up with. The goal here is to add new things for players to do besides play 1v1 matches, which will hopefully bring new players to the game.

Free for All

Pretty self-explanatory, a free for all game would consist of 3-4 players starting on random points on the map, with the ultimate goal to be the last shrine standing. Each map would likely contain 1 easily accessible font and a central font that would encourage players to be aggressive and hold the extra font.

Co-op

This would be more of a casual game type for campaigns or not in which two (or potentially more) players play against an AI opponent (possibly using multiple factions). The AI would be extremely strong and should be near impossible to play against solo, but would be manageable in a team game. Two shrines would be used by the players, spawned near the same location. The players would take separate turns and fonts could be controlled by one or both players. When controlled by both, the font becomes a deployment zone for both and provides a slight nora bonus. These maps would be rather large and contain several fonts, giving players freedom to divide to attack from separate sides or join together for bonuses. Also possible would be shrine abilities that benefit the other player such as sacrificing shrine health to fortify your ally's shrine, etc.

Battle Group Restriction

Similar in concept to the training grounds, this mode would allow players to essentially set a power level for each match. For instance, restricting all runes in one battlegroup to one race, class, wrath/protectorate, or rarity. Additionally, each rune could have a separate value independent of normal variables, but potentially based on a formula that would assign the value based how often the rune is used, how often the rune is won with, with a multiplier for rarity.

This would allow players to use more obscure and weaker runes, and let new players compete on an even basis.
    For instance, let's say a 500 point game would eliminate most runes except commons and uncommons that are rarely played, while a 15000 point game would be virtually unrestricted.

These options would be selectable in a dropdown menu when creating a battlegrounds game.

2v2 Revamped

This is less of a new idea and more something that just needs to happen. 2v2 overall needs some tweaks , and the group finding is basically useless. As an alternative or supplement, I would suggest that there should be another queue that allows players to join a team at random, such that 4 players would be selected from the queue to play and placed on teams at random.

Also hopefully to be added with free for all would be 2v2v2.

King of the Hill

This is a fairly standard game type that could be a free for all or team game type and would require players to reach a central font and hold it for a predetermined number of turns. A short game would require something like 5-10 turns while a long game would require up to 30!

Capture the Flag

This mode would be relatively similar to King of the Hill but it would also require the player to safely carry a flag (which would function like an equipment) back to their shrine a number of times. Shattering effects could potentially force a champion to drop the 'flag' and removing the champion from play or destroying it would leave the flag where the champion was standing.

Smash

This game type would be something of a race that would require players to either destroy a certain number of relics or champions, or destroy the most before a certain number of turns runs out. Players could either be set to friendly or not, allowing players to attack each other (for no benefit towards the score but setting their enemy back). This would also allow players to complete team games together.

These champions to be destroyed could be mobile at a slow pace or stationary like relics, but would not spawn near shrines. The maps would not contain any fonts, but shrine nora should be increased.

SireofSuns, Woffleet and Shadow13th like this.
  2. Shadow13th

Shadow13th New Member

Very interesting game concepts, 2v2 queu is usually useless as you had stated and having a grater variety would greatly increase the overall game playable experience.

I love your added feature of using a currency marked by champions statistical win ratio and rarity, this feature reminds me alot of total war as a matter of fact, the total allowable score determines your army's strength like what if for example when using 1000 deployment cost (not nora), and you have a hero that is near 450 required score the other 14 champions would have an average of 39.5 deployment cost. something like that would allow you to have 1 or 2 maximum stronger champions with mostly weaker units. However the way you mentioned using it per champ would be easier by greying out any champion not equal or under the predetermined amount once in game.

Co-op sounds like it would bring campaign back to life, great way for friends to try new things out and have a intense fun time.

Shadow

3. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

There was a point in time where CTF and King of the Hill were actual game modes that existed. They were really awkward and not many people played them, however. They were really hard to maintain due to all of the programming bugs that inevitably came along, not to mention balance issues, so they got removed.

I'd love to see FFA and Co-op. Like, kind of a lot.

Woffleet likes this.
  4. Krakuar198

Krakuar198 Well-Known Member

Really nice idea. I would like to see these become a reality. :)

5. Jankin47

Jankin47 New Member

Le bumpenstein.

6. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

I like the ideas too! Especially co-op. It's kind of tough to bring new people into the game when they can't really play -with- you, and your referral would likely not be competitive to play AGAINST you for quite some time.

7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i like king of the hill concept trying to hold font but only problem is if there are still runes with secure font/font defender it will give unfair advantage to mostly IS and ST they should make a rule that no secure font runes are font defender rune can be used

8. Intweener

Intweener I need me some PIE!

I was hoping ideas like this would be added to my topic in general discussion when i created it last week :p but great initiative nonetheless! If you like you can nick my format ideas from here add it to your pile. Gives a bigger chance to become a sticky if it is in a collection, as well as making sure more people coming up with their favorite ways to play with their cards! :)

However I do get the feeling you have scimmed my post before making your own due to eerie similarities :p
    *checks*
    You were actually a month earlier with it! Kudos on that ! Hence I'll add these ideas to your pile instead :)
    Original General Discussion Post :

Hey everyone,

It has been a while since I've posted something in general discussion or played an actual ranked game.
    There are a few reasons for that which I will explain later on.

As of this moment the staff is way too busy fixing what has been broken by SOE for ages. and I applaud them for it. I've been playing this game off and on since 2007 and I've seen a lot of mistakes made. And the first steps to making this game more balanced and accessible to everyone are incredible.

However, as far as I can see in the client. This hasn't been enough yet.
    Too often I see the same names in the high rankings, as well as online. In the forums I spot many of the same usernames as well. So there is a pretty big fanbase keeping this game alive!

But I am wondering if the current game formats as they are now are easily accessible by new players.
    The empty training grounds tells me : A BIG NO.

So I came up with a few alternative ways to play Poxnora keeping the following in mind :
    - Wherever you are, you should be able to play with your own cards!
    - I consider myself a casual gamer. So I will probably never reach the top 100.
    - My intentions are to make up things to make the game attractive and accessible for everyone, not just the very few being great at board games.
    - Fun before winning!

Playing poxnora on a Tablet / Phone

Let's be honest. This is a new future for 'smaller' games like this. But the way you play with your poxnora cards right now in a 30-card deck is almost impossible to handle on a small piece of machinery.
    So what if you use only a few cards from your collection in a direct death match?
    This would mean :

- Instant placement of 3, selected by you, champions per side.
    - 8x8 grid (or 6x8)
    - No fonts
    - No shrine
    - No respawn time
    - 30 seconds/1 min per turn

Along with this one could gain a SMALL amount of gold, to spend not on a card pack. But on a single card, which could vary from common to exotic. A little more of a gamble. But a LOT more accessible for newer players.
    From that step you could perhaps add 1 single spell to be used with it as well, or one relic.
    It's small, simple, and it can become as strategically challenging as a normal Poxnora game. Just not as time intensive. (There are also options for fighting vs AI this way ofc)

Co-op campaigns!

It's most probably an old idea. But hey, I don't read forum posts, so to me it's original! :p
    Challenging the computer is fun. the AI is challenging enough on legendary mode. And forces you to make up overpowered combos to overcome it. As far as I've experienced with the new set most combos are trickier now.

But playing it with a friend with a smaller battlegroup could make it just as fun. Together you would have a 20 rune deck for instance. So you won't have an answer to everything like people in a normal ranked game have.

But wouldn't it be more fun to have things like co-op endurance/survival challenges?

Or perhaps a Capture the flag format, where one BG walks through a cliff with constantly spawning enemies and your ally helping you out on the top sides, unable to join each other?

Or cliffing challenges to cliff as many Talgars together within a time limit?

(King of the hill would be a nice challenging event though. With an Admin being the king with 10000 hp and 4-8 players trying to kill him. :p But that's just me being radically silly)

The good-old 20 runedocks!

There must have been a few discussion topics about this already. But what pissed me off most in the past was the idea, and im not sure of this but this is how i received it, of forcing players to buy more packs for 30 rune decks as well as a viable reason for them to bring out more expansions more frequently.

So in my opinion here is what is wrong with 30 rune decks :

- Too many answers in 1 deck. The fun of the 'old style' poxnora was that BOTH sides could not have answers to everything the other guy had. For instance if the enemy used Stealth and you had no Detection. You had to rush and bash the enemy's shrine in with your stronger non-stealth units.
    - Less time intensive! I can't stress how many people leave a game within 20 minutes and not waiting for their runes to respawn again. The end game this way takes a LOT longer than it has to be. I think this little fact cost most casual gamers.
    - There are so many options that theme decks need to blend with powercreep cards to make you last long enough to actually win a game. The more OP cards one has the option to, the less it comes down to actual skill, and thus fun.
    - Too many battles on too many fronts. With 10-20 champions to control on 3-4 different places, you simply cannot win vs someone who plays this game in and out. This treshold is where many players , even me, just not finding it casually fun anymore. And with the attention span from people decreasing over the years, I cannot see this improving. No matter how balanced this game becomes.

BACK IN THE DAY.
    A few years ago when actually played this game, (I'm still loving everything about it though!) the 20 rune decks were great. You could only put like 2-3 deck strategies into 1. Themes were more fun to play with and there was simply a bigger chance to completely turn the ties. Right now it feels from the first 20 minutes that I have lost already. Which is kind of odd when I used to play top 250 easily when Poxnora was at their most crowded point. With my casual, theme-fundecks. They are my one true love in Pox.

"But that's simply because you suck" - Random person.
    Not per se. But I do like to speak for the casual players. Because this game should be fun and not a chessgame on 4 fronts. 1, maybe 2 chess games is enough for simple people, thank you. And don't forget that most people don't even like chess. And I'm not one of them.
    "You need to invest more money in this game!" - Another random player.
    Not really.. I do own 15 angels, a Grimthir , most expensive UD champs and even an harbie, along with many others. So I'm not creating this topic from a 'weak' standpoint.
    "You need to invest more time in this game to become good" - Yet another person.
    I agree. I would need more time. But the time I have already invested in this game (Approx. 500h+, campaigns excluded) should not be a standard for a CASUAL gamer.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i would totally play that they should make a mode similar to the wanted dailies
    instead here what i suggest
    minimum players-4
    instead of 1 mega champions we make waves of hero with 800 hp with ( wanted abilities) and with them they release waves of servants and the objective of the game is to defeat all 8 bosses as fast as possible you are give x minutes to defeat the boss and the map should be one where 2 shrines with 2 players deploying on each side
    the bosses
    akios -SL
    drakon - IS
    Serkan -FW
    grimlic -UD
    kratch - FS
    grimlic of kthir/Ash bandit prince -KF
    Tracker Gnark/ Zeventech- ST
    Cyclops chieftain- SP

other extra
    they release random spell from the factions of the respective bosses
    (selected by DOG)
    The bosses will be able to use the range of abilities that they are given

Map
    I was thinking the best map that will fit this if possible is lost city or elemental plateau because of abundance of font
    also the mid-font (AI font) cannot be contested otherwise there be no fun
    Nora
    each player starts with 200 nora and gen of 45 per turn

Objective
    Defeat all 8 bosses in alotted time
    levels
    normal -1 at a time
    hard - 2 at a time
    legendary -2 at a time with 1200 hp bosses

IF this can be done i would be so happy and i am sure it can

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

One note for Capture the Flag is that one IS Exotic spell that destroys all equipment in play. All in all I like the ideas.

11. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Additional game types such as Capture the Flag and King of the Hill were already implemented but removed after there weren't much interest in them past the first initial weeks. Not to sound pessimistic, but I think the same scenario would happen again - maybe try when poxnora has about 5 times its current playerbase to make it worthwhile. I would rather not waste time making it now since they don't exactly have a large staff :p

12. Intweener

Intweener I need me some PIE!

We know, @Emries. Some of us have even played 5+ years. A bigger playerbase is where it all comes down to, as it's currently impossible to split the people we have anyway. However if we manage to make the game interesting for the casual gamers (I.E. not dumbing it down, but making it more accessible. Because in the past the character stat leveling with CP was a LOT more fun than the predetermined abilities SOE came up with..)

But I do agree on the time dividing ;) But there's nothing wrong with pinpointing what loyal fans can imagine with the possibilities we currently have right? :) Or is that too optimistic? :eek: